the tall friends club

The Fifth Season
Please log in to read the full chapter

«Welcome to Jichu’s rehabilitation clinic! Today’s special corner is mine!»
Jisoo crinkles her nose just so, melting all the blinks and onces’ hearts in advance. The camera man smiles involuntarily, and Im Nayoung whoops encouragingly. 
«Head straight!» Jisoo orders, when her patient glances at the distant corner of the yard. «Don’t strain your neck, Nadong!»
«She’s looking at you again. Take off your sunglasses, damn it. All the poor girl wants is to see your eyes. Quit being so casually cruel».
Not moving an inch, Sowon keeps facing the sky, «It’s pointless. She is better off with Jisoo. Or Jenny. Or Yeri. Or whoever is gay in Twice. Our circles are different».
«And what is that supposed to mean?»
«I mean, we would be a misalliance of sorts. Twice is the nation’s group, they are #1, and we are — what, #5? #4?»
«#4, and if I didn't know how much you are enchanted with the idea of a power couple, I would've thought you were just rubbing it in my face, Sojung». 
This finally gets Sowon to move, «No! No! It's not what I meant at all», while Nayoung waves her off.
«I’d say, you being friends with me indicates that you are above those ridiculous classist notions. And not only me; you're friends with tons of your hoobaes. Then we have Nicole Jung, who, may I remind you, is resting on her laurels in Japan, and Rainbow's members, as well, even though Rainbow has been officially disbanded for a long time now». 
Sowon keeps mum for a long minute, feeling something churning inside her stomach.
«Do you think I am being ridiculous?» she asks after a pause.
«Yes, I think, you’re being ridiculous. But at least, you don’t say ‘I love you’ as a joke, as our senior colleagues Lovelyz sing».
«I can’t joke about love».
«Me, neither».
Both sigh lightly.
A light breeze moves stray strands of their hair; thankfully, the weather got better, and the resting giants are enjoying the outside. The forest is alive with birds’ singing, sun glare is multiplied by every open window — these are being cleaned at the moment. 
Today the platoon works on making their forest base — nothing more than an old, tiny training camp — habitable, so the friends are very lucky to be on a partial bed rest. The majority of the platoon has been sweeping the floors, washing the dishes and arranging sleeping bags in the big room since breakfast.
«You’ve done your part yesterday», Seolhyun has said, dismissing the rearguard for the day, «our vlog’s highlight. The sight of a Mega Blastoise, and a horseman of the Apocalypse, drenched to the bone, was quite a contribution to the show».
«That technically makes you a horse», Sowon comments, recalling Seolhyun’s take on them.
«I’ll take it», Nayoung shrugs. «Better resemble a horse than famine».
«Nayoung, you’re just as savage as your kids, as your is begging to be kicked just as badly».
«Good luck with that», Nayoung echoes, making herself comfortable on her chaise-lounge, «with your one functioning leg».
Thus the friends are enjoying themselves by exchanging taunts and watching the Blastoise in question sweat because of Jisoo’s DIY physiotherapy in the middle of the front yard. 
«The kid eldest madly likes you», the stone comments, catching Nayeon’s sneaky gaze toward them.
«I told you, she’s better off with Jisoo. I think».
«Think better».
«I like you the most when you’re taciturn, Nayoung».
Stone Buddha laughs, once again attracting Nayeon’s attention. The giants hear an immediate, «Head straight!» Im Nayoung chuckles. 
«How's Jieqiong?» Sowon asks.
Nayoung hums and answers seriously, «Busy, extremely busy. And has it pretty difficult, if I read her body language correctly».
«Are you guys still official? Going strong?»
Nayoung nods, «I tried to give her freedom, so she could live easier, and, maybe, find a nice Chinese girl, but she refused. And even cussed me out in Chinese. I mean, I'm not sure I understood everything she said, but I am positive it wasn't nice». 
Sowon laughs and asks curiously, «When was the last time you saw each other?»
The answer surprises her, «She had flown to Seoul a week before the show started and stayed for four days».
«Spent them with you?» Sowon asks. 
Nayoung nods, a smile blossoming on her face. «It's kind of a secret», she explains, «not many Chinese idols can visit. It’s a miracle she managed to do it. I never told anybody: it seems, I am the only lucky Korean».
«You deserve it», Sowon says. «You guys are such a nice couple».
Nayoung stretches, like a sated cat, «Thank you, Sojungie. I used to think she's too young for me, but if Jieqiong knows what she wants, then who am I to tell her otherwise?»
«Good reasoning», Sowon approves. «And your age difference is nearly non-existent. Sure, it's nothing like the same-age couples in my group, but still!»
«Are they all the same age?»
«Yeah. The only exception is Eunha, but Sana is just a year older than her. Not that it stops Eunha from flaunting her unnie girlfriend… Sometimes I wonder if she has an u

Please log in to read the full chapter