Zarnitsa, part 1

The Fifth Season
Please log in to read the full chapter

«I can’t believe you’ll skip the game. Come on, Exy, we need your bloodlust», says Heehyun, watching Exy pack her bag from her bunk.
WJSN’s leader scoffs, «We are finishing our promotion, I need to be present. Who else is going to shine on stage? Who would rap my awesome raps?»
Naturally, Heehyun immediately pulls a haughty face and prepares to mock the hell out of her fellow rapper.
«Don’t even», Exy warns her, «or no counterfeit from Seoul for you».
Heehyun laughs and holds her hands up in surrender.
Bona pouts, «Why aren’t you grieving over me missing the game?»
Heehyun shrugs her shoulders, «Bona, I like you, but you’re a full-blown civilian, you are useless on the battlefield».
«No wonder Yeonjung likes you so much», comments Bona. «Same attitude».
«Yeonjung’s my baby», nods Heehyun. «Tell her I miss her».
«Sure», nods Bona, leaving the barracks.
This detour to Seoul feels different, thinks Bona, strolling towards the checkpoint and listening to Exy’s hurried steps behind her. We have a mission on our hands. Places to visit. People to see.
«Bona-ssi», calls out Seolhyun, when they reach the gate. «Good luck, don’t forget the safety belts», she says, slipping the memory card in Bona’s hand under the guise of a handshake.
«Playing favourites, huh?» asks captain Baek, materialising next to Seolhyun out of thin air.
«Dangerous driving…» Seolhyun shrugs with a thoughtful expression, watching the WJSN girls getting in the car and departing safely. «Took some lives».
«It is unfortunate that you’ll come short of two men», comments captain Baek.
«Girls».
«Privates».
«Idols».
«Whatever. Would’ve been really useful, especially the one with steadier hands».
Seolhyun tilts her head up, «We’ll paint this whole camp blue, regardless». 
Then she turns around and distances herself from smirking captain Baek, because if she doesn’t, then: a) she’ll punch this woman in the face; b) this woman will catch on her newly-acquired hope.

***

«Right. What are we doing today, sunbaenim?» asks Jisoo. Even though the parade is over, and the platoon has fallen out, the girls are drawn to Seolhyun. 
«Pick the equipment, practice… I mean, train all together», announces Seolhyun. «I booked the obstacle course for us». 
They march towards some storage unit: the paint guns aren’t suitable for the arsenal. Jisoo immediately shoots herself in the foot (Nayeon facepalms) and starts whining about getting a bruise, so Seolhyun allows her to go to the infirmary. The rest of them go to the shooting range — thankfully, it’s empty and free for them to use.
«Easy peasy, lieutenant», brags Shining Kim Nayoung, after painting the bullseye blue from 50 meters. «These guns will be the least of your worries tomorrow».
«Good», nods Seolhyun, shoots and doesn’t miss, either. «My worry is our stamina». 
«Don’t worry, sunbaenim», flicks her ponytail Heehyun. «Challenge us, I feel the power».

***

«Management time», gasps Seolhyun in between short and shal

Please log in to read the full chapter