Xuan Yi's 'Want'

The Fifth Season
Please log in to read the full chapter

This morning, Bona is wearing an assertive smile. She carefully applied one when she woke up, and now has been flashing it at everyone with no remorse or acknowledgement of what happened yesterday. 
Naturally, no one is willing to react to that pearl shine, but they can’t help but stare at Bona from the both sides of their long dinner table. Spinster or not, everyone is still impressed by late night’s condemnation of Kim Jiyeon. The platoon’s collective conscience does not care for Nayeon’s mad, non-stop blush, nor Sowon’s tenfold increased stare, nor YooA bothering Mimi about some t-shirt gone missing — nothing looks quite as morbidly interesting as Bona’s face nearly cracking in half.
«How do you look that happy this morning?» Exy mutters to Bona, trying to catch her gaze and ask for another cup of coffee at the same time.
«Have you not seen everyone gawking at me?» Bona murmurs pleasantly. «I feel like I’ve been branded with a mark».
Exy scoffs, «It’s bull».
«Yeah, yeah», Bona mutters, hiding behind her cup and finally relaxing her face. If looks were tangible, I would’ve had blisters all over me. Everyone heard that crap yesterday. I hope they had the decency not to gossip about it in the group chats.

***

«Let’s film your piece, Seolhyun».
Stormy-looking, their lieutenant puts down her spoon and her vibrating phone (‘What the hell happened??’ — ‘I heard Stone Nayoung slaughtered WJSN’s Bona!’ — ‘Did that WJSN girl kill someone or what?’ — ‘What are you gonna do?!’ — ‘Did the Stone ripped Bona a new one because of their hoes?’ — ‘Unite them, make a show of it, you’re ED if this ever gets leaked’.), turns her eerily perfect charm on. Luminous with her immaculate smile, Seolhyun greets future audience with steady salute and makes everyone salute, too. 
«Platoon’s update!» she announces and looks at a staff member questioningly. 
«As we saw on the battlefield earlier, you ranked four leaders up and made them sergeants», a staff member reads from the script. «What do you think of your choice? Do you regret it?»
«Definitely not. Every sergeant deserves their rank».
«Would you say that your sergeants are of great help for you?»
«Absolutely. They are extremely reliable for managing platoon’s everyday life».
«Right! Earlier we’ve asked you to describe your sergeants’ functions».
Seolhyun smiles and starts to point everyone out, «First sergeant Kim is the most experienced group leader here, so, naturally, she’s officially in charge of personnel». 
While one cameraman is solely focused on Seolhyun’s moving lips, another one decides to film Sowon pour more tea into Nayeon’s cup — to edit this in later, subtitled with ‘sergeant Sowon’s care for personnel’. Nayeon spots the camera, puckers her lips and makes a bunny sign, and Sowon, upon spotting this, lets out a smile — not at all a promotional one. The man makes sure to film the moment of cordiality, which later will be dubbed as ‘or a sisterly bond between the popular ’95 liners?!’.
«Sergeant Im is meticulous and alert, so she was my natural pick to be the arsenal supervisor. Sergeant Kwon is a capable cook, she’s in charge of our food rations and all things kitchen. And last but not least, sergeant Ki is utterly fearless, so she’s in charge of our equipment and the toughest duty of all — laundry».
The platoon laughs — as lively as they can muster with their aching heads and a slowly dissipating feeling of nausea behind their sternum.
Sowon listens to Seolhyun’s y cadence with no streng

Please log in to read the full chapter