First sergeant / leaving the boot camp

The Fifth Season
Please log in to read the full chapter

Five minutes before parade, Jisoo is prettying Nayeon up: to look one’s best is one of the strongest assets one can have while preparing to start a war. An enthusiastic cameraman is filming their little makeup play; they have begun filming since the moment the idols arrived, and showed no signs of stopping anytime soon. So, everyone is trying to look lively, to make as much usable footage as possible.
Seolhyun is checking if everyone is neat and tidy. Heehyun shows off her sergeant chevrons to sour-looking Exy. Bona is polishing her nails, with YooA and Mimi slouching around nearby; Haebin is chatting with her new best friend, yawning Jooeun. Eunbi, Kei, Haein, D.Ana and the bestest frenemies Siyeon and Seunghee are interrogating Mamamoo’s maknaes about something career-related. Completely isolated, Im Nayoung is checking her phone every two seconds.
The first sergeant is absent.
The first sergeant is absent, while their morning parade is in five minutes, so, naturally, Seolhyun is closing on Stone Buddha.
«Sergeant Im», politely begins Seolhyun. Nayoung, despite being usually shy around the resplendent senior, nods and reassures her, «Lieutenant Kim, first sergeant Kim will be here in no time. She won’t be late, sunbaenim, I promise».
Seolhyun nods and checks her watch.
Jisoo questioningly raises her eyebrows. Nayeon shrugs, but a strange feeling settles down in her stomach.
Three torturous minutes later, Sowon runs in — eyes tired, scowling, ramrod straight. Once again a light brunette, the first sergeant is wearing fluffy slippers, while carrying her military boots in her hand. Im Nayoung wordlessly gives her a pair of socks, dumps the slippers into the nearest window and helps her to lace up the boots. When the giants straighten up, both are sporting identically lifeless, unresponsive to the questioning gazes looks.
«Time!» comments Seolhyun and barks, «Fall in! Attention!»
The platoon stops staring and obeys the command. 
«Welcome back, platoon! I am sure your weekend was sufficient for you to get ready for continuing our training. The rest of the show will be filmed at the base in the woods, and we’re walking there first thing tomorrow morning. Today you pack your gear, MREs and ammo». 
Nothing could have illustrated the platoon’s sour mood better than a sudden thunderclap from above.
«Seolhyun-ssi, let’s make it quick», a crewman asks. «We’re losing light».
«Combat uniforms, MREs and ammo you’ll be carrying on your backs. Heavy tools, water bottles, sleeping bags and tents will be transported in the crew’s vans. And, given that our platoon is fully self-sufficient», stresses Seolhyun loudly for captain Baek — who’s already lurking around — to hear, «there will be no help with loading the trucks. It’s our things, it’s our water and food supply. First sergeant Kim!»
A beat of silence.
Seolhyn’s voice becomes urgent, «First sergeant Kim!..»
«Yes, lieutenant Kim», echoes Sowon with zero enthusiasm in her voice, and steps forward after Im Nayoung nudges her in the ribs. 
«Make sure everyone gets to their task», sternly orders Seolhyun, measuring Sowon up and down with her eyes.
«Will

Please log in to read the full chapter