Unnatural

The Fifth Season
Please log in to read the full chapter

«Where have you been? I thought we were going to do the letters corner».
«I will not be filmed if my face is not absolutely perfect», Bona says calmly, rinsing her hands before applying a cleansing cream.
YooA looks at her hands: they’re partly greasy, partly sticky (and not in a fun, HelloVenus way) from cleaning the breakfast table and the dishes. Horrendous. She takes a bar of soap and starts scrubbing.
An upbeat voice enters the washroom long before Siyeon comes in.
«Hey! What are you doing here?» she asks. Her trickster eyes measure them up: soapy Bona, wielding a konjac sponge, and YooA — lathering her pink hands with lotion. 
«We’re getting ready for our shot», Bona speaks through her pursed lips.
«Right», Siyeon nods; her eyes spring to her own reflection and inspect it with all seriousness.
«You wanna join?» YooA asks, handing the main vocalist her lip balm.
«Sure».
Next person to find them doesn’t sound as cheerful. 
«What are you doing here? Lieutenant is looking for you, it’s the time to do the letters corner».
YooA nods, Bona pays no attention.
«You have something on your face, Oh», Siyeon says, smacking her lips carefully.
Without missing a beat, Seunghee echoes, «It’s beauty, Lee».
«Is it? When you entered, I thought I saw a ghost, ha-ha!»
«The ghost of Hwang Jinyi!»
«Nah, just a water ghost».
«That’s it! Prepare to die!»
Siyeon’s execution by Seunghee’s hands is exactly what Seolhyun witnesses upon entering the washroom with uninjured sergeants in tow. 
«You’re doing great, sweetie», Heehyun drawls over Seolhyun’s shoulder. «Push a bit more, ’til it cracks, and Dreamcatcher will lose their main vocalist».
Seunghee lets her favourite frenemy go.
«Nice self-control, Seunghee-ssi», Seolhyun frowns. «Do promise me to restrain yourself and not choke your platoon mates in the future».
«Never again, sunbaenim, I swear! She was enjoying it too much!»
And Seunghee marches to stunned YooA and unfazed Bona at the mirror. «Hm, there is something on my face», she mutters in surprise.
«It’s beauty, Oh», Siyeon winks at her reflection and leaves, hoarsely guffawing with full force of her restored lungs.
The sound brings YooA back to life. «Sunbaenim», she calls out. «What are you doing here?»
Seolhyun waves a script in her hand, «We’re supposed to film the letters corner, and I also have to make an announcement».
«We thought we’d pretty up, sunbaenim», Bona says, squeezing her sponge dry.
Seolhyun thinks for a moment. «Two minutes», she orders finally. «Don’t be tardy».
«Lieutenant thought you were missing», Eunbi whispers to YooA, siding up to her and inspecting her mascara. «And you’re crucial to our letters corner».
By the next sink, Bona thinks, Crucial? — and fights her irritation. You haven’t seen the master at work yet.

***

Bona, artificially rosy-cheeked and quite naturally clean-necked, lowers herself on a chaise-lounge next to Jisoo. Around the campfire, there are six more chairs for Kei, Eunbi, Haein, Nayeon, YooA and Seolhyun, of course, — every frontwoman from the most popular groups. The chosen ones must write profound, sincere and meaningful messages to one another, to let their month-long friendship flourish prettily. 
They pick their counterparts like in ‘Secret Santa’ — pulling a sheet of paper with a name on it. Naturally, Nayeon

Please log in to read the full chapter