I Was Busy.

Chasing the Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
I Was Busy.

 

 

Sitting on the floor with her back against the sofa, Baram finally stopped typing on her computer and stretched her arms as she finished the outline for a new episode of the series she was writing for. She had spent all of yesterday revising the previously accepted scripts according to the PD and producers’ comments from the viewer ratings. The changes were not too big and would not affect the overall storyline. However, it was the minute changes that were the most annoying to take care of. They could be easily overlooked or forgotten, and if these minutes changes are not kept constant, it would end up causing larger and larger inconsistencies in the overall plot of the story. Thus Baram had to go through all the scripts with a fine comb, resulting in her going to bed very late last night.

 

Deciding that she had done enough work for the day, Baram leaned back and stared at her ceiling, her stomach rumbling in protest after not having eaten since breakfast. As on queue, the doorbell went off, signalling that she had a guest. Raising an eyebrow in confusion, Baram padded towards the intercom, surprised to see two males squeezed tight together to fit in the camera.

 

“6th floor,” Baram spoke in the intercom, allowing them in.

 

After quickly tidying up her coffee table, Baram opened the door of the flat, leaning against the door frame to wait for the arrival of the two guests. Soon enough, from the far end of the corridor, the lift let out a ‘ding’ sound as its doors slid open, revealing two excited looking males carrying takeaway bags with them.

 

“We’ve got jajanmyeon and beer!” The taller one hollered, skipping down the corridor. “Tangsuyuk as well.”

 

“Don’t scream in the corridor Yugyeom,” The shorter one snorted. “Imagine the embarrassment of being reported for public disturbance when you are member of the police force yourself.”

 

"If you do get reported it would probably be Youngjae’s doing,” Baram mused as the two reached her doorstep. “Just so that he can get a new partner.”

 

“Damn, my secret plans have been revealed.”

 

Yugyeom gasped in betrayal while Youngjae padded into Baram’s flat, pulling out three bottles of beer and putting the rest in the fridge. Yugyeom patted Baram on the head as he headed straight for the coffee table. 

 

“Oh, we got you a housewarming gift as well,” Youngjae quipped, holding out a small cactus towards Baram with a smirk. “Reminded us of you, looking all friendly and welcoming you know?”

 

Closing the door, Baram took the cactus from Youngjae and rolled her eyes, though a ghost of a smile could be seen on her face. Shifting some items on the bookshelf, Baram placed the cactus somewhere that would catch plenty of sunshine. Then, she threw both detectives a dirty look as they were already making themselves comfortable on the floor.

 

“Yah wash your hands first. I don’t need you spreading dirty germs while we eat. Bathroom’s by the entrance.”

 

Despite the looks of annoyance for having to move from their comfortable positions, the two detectives did not argue against the petite girl and instead obediently shuffled towards the bathroom, rolling their sleeves up in the process.

 

Finally they were all settled on the floor around the coffee table, jajangmyeon and tangsuyuk spread across them, each holding a bottle of beer.

 

“Cheers for a tiring week of work and Baram’s new flat!” Yugyeom declared, raising him glasses.

 

“It’s only Tuesday though,” Baram mused, clinking her bottle with his and taking a small sip.

 

“It’s because he messed up writing a report yesterday,” Youngjae snorted, slurping loudly on his noodles. “So got real good scolding from the captain today.”

 

“He’s never been good with paperwork,” Baram hummed, recalling when they had first met. “I was horrified at how bad he was at taking notes and sticking with one verb tense in the reports.”

 

“If you weren’t there to correct it for me I’m sure I would have been demoted to a uniformed patrol officer,” Yugyeom sighed.

 

“Just be glad no one found out about it.” Youngjae shook his head. “Those were private files that normal citizens should not have been allowed to see.”

 

“Strictly speaking I was there with permission from the higher ups to shadow you during your investigations,” Baram chirped, savouring the crunchy texture of the tangsuyuk.

 

“Exactly, shadow!” Youngjae emphasised. “Not help him write the reports and then have the audacity to interview one of the suspects because you arrived earlier than us.”

 

“Oh just let it go already,” Baram huffed. “Plus I got a real good script out of that experience. The series got the highest viewer ratings out of all the dramas aired during that time slot.”

 

“Still can’t believe the captain let you do it,” Youngjae grumbled.

 

“Apparently he’s good friends with one of the investors of the series. T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter