Understanding Silence is Better Than Meaningless Words.

Chasing the Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Understanding Silence is Better Than Meaningless Words.

 

 

Jinyoung observed Mark sitting on the other side of the counter. It was not yet opening hours for Eclipse, thus it was one of those rare times when Mark could truly relax and not worry about business, both the legal and the less than legal ones.

 

“Why the broody look?” Jinyoung questioned the male. “Thought Jackson already took care of the group that ambushed you guys the other day.”

 

“Yeah…” Mark replied distractingly.

 

Raising his eyebrows in amusement, Jinyoung bit back a smile as he wondered where Mark’s mind had drifted off to, or rather, towards who.

 

“Baram hasn’t been coming by recently.”

 

Hearing the mentioning of the girl’s name, Mark’s hand instinctively reached for his injured arm where he could still feel the sensation of her lingering touch, her delicate fingers dancing along his arm while treating the wound. Recalling the shape of Baram’s fingers, Mark could not stop himself from wondering what it would feel like to have them comb through his hair. He bit his lip, imagining her cold fingertips grazing down his temple and along his jaw, towards his lips.

 

Shaking his head to push away the imagery in his mind, not daring to let his mind wander any further, Mark abruptly stood up. Taking Jinyoung by surprise, the red haired male hurriedly left the speakeasy.

 

“I’ll be in my office if you need me.”

 

The bartender jutted his lips out in disappointment, having lost a rare opportunity to tease his usually collected friend. His face soon morphed into one of bewilderment however when Baram waltzed into the speakeasy, only minutes after Mark had disappeared.

 

“Speak of the devil.”

 

“So I’m the devil now?” Baram mused, slipping into her usual seat. “So what’s your recommendation for today Mr Bartender.”

 

Tapping the counter with her knuckles, Baram sent Jinyoung a lop-sided smile while her eyes travelled along the rows of liqueur bottles decorating the shelves behind him.

 

“Today I present you a Glenkeir Treasures, single malt scotch that was matured for 11 years.” Taking the bottle out of its box, Jinyoung showed it to Baram. “Taste profile is dried fruits, creamy and sweet, with a hint of spicy.”

 

“Hit me up then.”

 

Baram placed her elbows on the counter and cupped her face as she stared in anticipation while Jinyoung opened the bottle of whisky and pouring it her a glass.

 

Going through the usual routine of tasting whisky, Baram inhaled the aroma before taking a small sip. Feeling the liquid trickle down , she welcomed the pleasant rich and creamy taste glazing her palate, wrapped up by a subtle kick of spicy as the final touch.

 

“I approve,” Baram hummed, taking a larger sip of the whisky.

 

Receiving Baram’s nod of approval, Jinyoung mentally patted his back for a job well done. The two then fell in their usual silence. Baram found solace in the lack of disturbances while Jinyoung appreciated having someone who was not yapping off the whole time and forcing him into unnecessary chatter.

 

The peace was however disrupted by the constant buzzing of Baram’s phone. Baram took it out but threw it aside the moment she saw the caller. Jinyoung eyed the discarded device, almost tempted to dump it in a bucket of ice at how it was buzzing incessantly, refusing to stop until Baram answered.

 

Letting out a grunt of annoyance, Baram eventually picked up her phone and finally answered the call. Snapping her eyes shut, she remained collected, or at least attempt to.

 

“Baram…” The girl shuddered as she felt his voice crawl into her ear. “I’m outside your place… I think? Someone else answered the door though—”

 

A loud hiccup interrupted his sentence and Baram inhaled sharply, trying to gather the courage to end the call. He was drunk, and if there was one thing that Baram knew for certainty, was to keep away from him when he was intoxicated, for those are the times when Baram felt the most vulnerable and lacking control over her actions.

 

“Why ar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter