Defying the Wind.

Chasing the Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Defying the Wind.

 

 

Jackson and Bambam shared a worried glance as Mark downed yet another drink. It was unusual for the red haired male to drink so aggressively. He was never one to enjoy the hangover that would inevitably follow the next day. Even when he did sit down to enjoy some alcohol, he always did it within the comforts of the speakeasy, away from the obnoxious music and excessive human bodies that inhabited the club.

 

For the third night in a row however, Mark was purposely subjecting himself to the club environment that he had always preferred to avoid. He sat by the busy bar of the club, like an open target to the lustful stares from female customers. What was even more shocking, was the fact that tonight he was not even bothering to reject the numerous flirtatious attempts made on him.

 

It was clear as day that Mark was currently drinking his sorrows away, letting the alcohol blur his mind in a vain attempt to seek temporary oblivion. He had been behaving strangely ever since the barbecue dinner and everyone had some sort of idea as to what may have instigated his sudden shift in behaviour.

 

Jackson’s mind wandered towards Baram who was currently sitting downstairs in the speakeasy. When she sauntered in like usual earlier in the evening, she did not even question Mark’s behaviour. Wearing her usual blank expression, she simply disappeared behind the curtains after giving a short wave of acknowledgment to them.

 

Unable to ease the worry in his mind, Jackson nudged at Bambam and whispered in his ear.

 

“Call Jaebum.”

 

Within moments, Jaebum emerged from behind the curtains. Jackson and Bambam both pointed towards Mark who was slouched against the bar, a scantily dressed girl draped over him. Taking in the state of the male, Jaebum shook his head in disappointment for that is not the friend that he knew or admired.

 

“Get a grip of yourself Mark,” Jaebum nudged at him. “Just go talk to her, there’s not point acting this way.”

 

“There’s nothing to say,” Mark snarled back. “She got her message across loud and clear. I don’t care anymore.”

 

“Stop trying to act like you don’t care.” Jaebum growled at Mark. “Whatever you’re trying to do you’re clearly failing miserably at it.”

 

Mark however ignored his friend and focused his attention on his female companion instead.

 

“Keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn’t cause trouble,” Jaebum mumbled at Jackson and Bambam who nodded immediately.

 

Sighing in resignation, Jaebum returned downstairs. Pushing the door of the speakeasy open, his face twisted into one of discomfort and fury upon seeing Baram sitting there nonchalantly while sipping on a glass of whisky.

 

Jinyoung caught Jaebum’s expression and furrowed his brows in worry. The two males exchange a silent stare as Jinyoung lifted his chin upwards referring to Mark while Jaebum shook his head and rolled his eyes. Baram tilted her head towards Jaebum in that moment, her eyes empty and dark, as if trying to the soul out of him. Inhaling sharply, Jaebum reigned in the bumbling anger inside of him and took a step back, leaving the speakeasy without saying anything, deciding to hide in his office instead. He did not want to cause any more unnecessary trouble. He did not need to involve himself any further.

 

“Should I be making myself scarce?” Baram hummed while tracing the rim of the glass with a finger.

 

“Have you done something that will make you unwelcomed here?” Jinyoung asked while sitting down.

 

“I’m not sure,” Baram replied, her eye cast downwards. “I’m not sure I can be certain of anything right now.”

 

“Let me rephrase the question then: did you do something that you now regret?”

 

Baram bit her lower lip in contemplation, reviewing her recent actions and whether there was anything that she would categorise as regretful.

 

“It’s too ear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter