Stop Evading.

Chasing the Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Stop Evading.

 

 

Wanting to take a break from work, Baram opened a new tab to check the news. A video footage from a gang related shooting that happened last night popped up on her computer screen. Moving her mouse to close the video, a familiar face caught Baram’s attention. Rewinding the video, Baram leaned closer towards the computer screen to make sure that she was not hallucinating. At the far corner of the frame stood Jinyoung amongst the crowd of onlookers. However he disappeared from the frame the moment he noticed the camera was on him.

 

Deciding that there was no point in ruminating on the matter, Baram closed the news site and decided to surf through the web instead, specifically forums and social media accounts discussing about The Waves Will Bring Us Together. Like always there were countless comments of girls drooling over Jaehyun and his good looks. There was also a decent amount of netizens complimenting on Dahye’s improved acting. One specific comment mentioned that it must be because of the script which brought a smile on Baram’s face. Although she was not striving for fame and recognition, it was still nice to have her efforts acknowledged, despite how small of a passing comment it may have been. Surprisingly, a significant amount of comments were about Junmyeon and how he had delighted them all with his skills as a director. Some were feeling conflicted, wondering whether it meant that the actor-director was planning to move on completely from acting, while others commended him on his bold move.

 

Baram leaned back against the sofa, a thoughtful expression on her face. Indeed, Junmyeon was a splendid actor and it would be a pity for him to focus on directing solely; he had a spark in him that simply had to be shared with the audience. Thinking further about it, Baram recalled the musical performance she saw Junmyeon star in once; it was truly spectacular.

 

“Wonder if he misses the stage…” Baram mused, reopening the script document to get back to work, amending errors and editing according to the PD and producer’s feedback.

 

Hitting save, Baram stretched her limbs and headed towards the balcony, leaning against the railing as she observed the people walking by. Taking note of their physicality and movements, Baram entertained herself by making up scenarios and background information about these people. That was when she noticed Mark and Jaebum coming out of the convenience store, laughing around with each other without a care in the world. Looking at their interaction now, it was hard to believe that they were involved in illegal dealings or that they owned one of the most popular clubs in Itaewon. Noticing a figure following them however, Baram furrowed her brows. Without thinking, she took out her phone and sent a warning message to Mark.

 

Baram saw Mark take out his phone; judging from how his shoulders tensed, he had read her message. He showed it to Jaebum and the two exchanged a knowing look before going their separate ways. Baram saw how the person following them hesitated, unsure of who to follow as he had not expected the two to part ways. Ultimately he decided to follow Jaebum as he was heading towards Eclipse while Mark had gone the opposite direction.

 

Just as Baram was about to retreat inside, Mark reappeared underneath her balcony, staring right at her, his expression unreadable. Baram simply gave him a playful salute before turning around, paying no attention to the boyish grin that graced Mark’s face.

 

The rhythmic sound of the computer keyboard echoed throughout the flat as Baram typed away, completely unaware of the passing of time. Finally, as the sun was setting, Baram emailed the script draft, ready to call it a day.

 

Lying flat on her sofa, the exhausted girl stared at the white ceiling, straining her ears to hear the sound of life of the streets of Itaewon coming from the open balcony door. Only then did Baram realise just how empty and desolate her little studio flat was. There were no loving murmurs between intimate lovers filling the room, no sound of the sizzling pan with the scent of pancakes wafting through the air, no melodious giggles of joy brightening up the place. Instead, it was complete and utter silence throwing an invisible veil on a lonely girl struggling to keep herself so busy that she had no time to contemplate on what she had lost, allowing herself no time to ruminate on regrets, desperately escaping from the thoughts of ‘what if’.

 

The buzzing of the phone brought Baram out of her thoughts. Seeing who the caller was, Baram felt like she had been slapped in the face. It was as if the name flashing on the screen was smirking at her, taunting her and her vulnerability.

 

Inhaling deeply, Baram slid the green icon on the phone and brought the phone to her ears.

 

“Baram, it’s me.”

 

The familiar voice echoed through the device, knocking the air out of Baram’s lungs. Gripping the phone so tightly that her knuckles turned white, Baram refused to speak, in fear that her voice would crack and give away how much it a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter