Chapter 22

Looking for Love

As I am walking home, I get more texts from Zayaan asking me if I am home yet. He tells me to call him when I am home.

I get home late. Surprsingly, my mom does not really notice how late it is when I get back home.

My brothers say "Hey what are those pimples on your neck?"  Little do they know that they are actually hickies.

I remember Zayaan gave them to me and then said, "It looks like an animal devoured you".

I was so hungry all day. I was too shy to tell Zayaan that I was hungry but I was honestly starving. I eat the food that mom gives me and then run upstairs to sleep.

I am bomboarded with more texts of him calling. Once I am in bed, I call him back.

"Hey are you home?" he asks.

"Yeah, I got home a while ago".

"Are you happy that you met me today?"

"Yeah," I say sweetly.

"Was it worth it? I hope that I made your time worth it?"

"Of course!"

"Okay good because I was scared that you would not want to see me again. I can not wait to see you again"

Awe he already wants to see me again! I never had a guy say those words before.

"You know today, my ex drove up to my house and texted me to come down".

"What?" I was so confused. Why did his ex come? What did he do to get her to come. I should have known this was a red flag here and there. The fact that he was even in contact with his ex still.

"I told her I can not but she kept asking me to".

"Oh okay..." I did not know what to say.

"I was like fine and I met her in her car. She told me she wanted me back. I told her that I can't and that your my new baby now."

I felt uncomfortable with that. I should have known then and there that this was a red flag, that he was in contact with his ex to the point that she was out here driving up to his house. I honestly was not thinking much about it. Honestly, the whole time I thought Britney was his ex so maybe that is why I was not that bothered. She was just some random spanish girl. I was the true love of his life. To be honest, I did feel a little insecure seeing how pretty Britney was with her light skin and she was short too like me but not as short, she was a little chubbier. But she was still beautiful. But I was so naive that I did not get insecure about it that much. She seemed like a nice person who was over him. But britney was not even his ex. She was just his friend which I did not find out about until later!

Honestly why did he even make such a show about me and him to everyone. It was flattering but annoying at the same time. This whole time I was just happy being with him in private. I did not care if anyone else know. But it felt like he saw me more as an object to show off then someone he was in love with.

I honestly did not ask him too much about it. I did not really care. I thought maybe this is how relationships are? At least I had a guy who was so willing and happy to be with me. I never had that before. Someone willing to commit to me. It did not look like a bad sign to me that he was talking about his ex since I never even had a guy willing to commit to me before and with such intensity too. He did not make me feel like trash. He made me feel like treasure.

"My friends miss you. But I miss you more" Zayaan says to my surprise.

"What they miss me?" I ask surprised. Little did I know... It would one day get to a point where I missed his friend more than I missed him.

I honestly did not care about his friends at the time. I could hardly even remember their names.

"One of my friends said your so sweet  but so shy", Zayaan tells me as if thats a bad thing.

"But I told her that I think thats the best part!!" 

I was surprsised that Zayaan liked my shyness... Honestly guys are trash. Looking back on it now. Guys always say that they like this or that about a girl and those are the same things they end up leaving the girl for. Guy think they want good shy girls but in reality, they get bored of girls like that. They want a girl who will keep them on their toes, which means that girl is not so shy, savage, experienced and not as loyal as girls like I was at the time, sweet loyal naive and inexperienced.

"Do you think we can make this work" Zayaan asks.

"What do you mean?"

"Us..."

"Why couldn't we?" And that was another red flag. The fact that he was even questioning if we can make it work. Here I was already head over heels into him and he was questioning if we could make it work?? Why was he having doubts when I could see no other way. I did not see anything standing in our way so why did he? The fact that I was so into the idea of us and so into him but he was already having doubts should have been a red flag. He was already quite a bit jaded and skeptical compared to me. Jaded people are the type to self sabatoge relationships before they even begin, or stop it from getting far.

"Alright, it is getting late".

"Yeah, I am getting so sleepy" I say.

"Good night sweetie, sweet dreams" he tells me.

And that was our first phone call as boyfriend and girlfriend officially.