Treasure of Life

Treasure of Life


-One and a half week later-

“Good morning” Gui Gui said as she walks into Wang Zi's room.

“Good morning” Wang Zi said brightly to her.

Gui Gui set some stuff that she brought for him down on the table and went to sit by his bed.

“You look quite happy today” she said seeing his bright face.

“I'm happy to see you” he said happy yet in a sad tone. “Where have you been?...You haven't come and visit me lately...” he said looking at her.

Gui Gui slightly smile and looks down at her hands.

“Sorry,” she said trying to push her emotions back.

She felt Wang Zi gently squeezed her hands.

“It's okay, you're here now right?” he smile.

She looks at him and nodded.

“But I won't just let you go that easily,” he said as he rubs his chin with his hand. “Hmm...”

As he was thinking she quickly interrupts his thoughts.

“Ah~ right!” she said and quickly got up. “I made you your favorite soup this morning, and I also brought some fresh fruits” Gui Gui said taking everything out from the bags and setting them on the table.

After taking everything out she pour the soup that she made into a bowl and hands it to Wang Zi.

“You're not going to feed me?” he looks at her with puppy eyes.

“No,” she replies simply.

“Why not?” he whines.

“Because your hands are moving fine now.”

“But, I want you to feed me” he pouts and crosses his arms.

“But-”

“Is it because you have a change of heart?” he blurts out.

Gui Gui froze in place as soon she heard that.

Looking at Gui Gui's reaction, Wang Zi burst into laughter.

“I was just kidding,” he said and grabs the bowl from her. “It's impossible right?” he said as he took a spoon full of the soup and blew on it. “You wouldn't cheat on me would you?” he said not looking at her. He ate the spoon of soup and scoop another spoon full.

Gui Gui tightly squeezed her hands into a fist as guilt fills up. She was debating if she should confess to him now.

“I know that the time that I wasn't by your side was a long time, but...you really wouldn't do that would you?” he ask and finally looks at her.

Gui Gui caught his eyes. She swallowed and sat down.

“I-”

Knock! Knock!

“Sorry for the interruption, but it's time for your check up” a nurse said as she walks into the room.

“Good timing” Wang Zi said and smile. “I just got done with my breakfast” he said as he set the half bowl of soup on the table beside him.

The nurse brought the wheelchair to the side of the bed and helps him onto the wheelchair.

Gui Gui slowly lets her fist loose as she watches him get into the wheelchair.

“Are you going to come too?” Wang Zi asks Gui Gui.

She blinks and got up.

“No, I’ll be here tiding up your room” she said with a smile as she walks up to him.

He grabs her hand and press the back of her hand against his cheek.

“Okay, be good, don't run around, I’ll be back soon,” he said as the nurse slowly starts to wheel him out of the room. Their hands slowly pulled apart. Gui Gui watches as they left the room. The door clicks shut and she lets her tears run down her cheeks.

She looks down to the ground and smile. She wipes her tears away and started to tidy up Wang Zi's room.

“I have to be strong” she said quietly to herself. 'I have to.'

~

'This is where I first met him' Gui Gui thought as she stood on the roof that she first met Aaron. She looks around and smile. 'I wonder how he's doing now? Is he okay? Is he taking care of himself? Is he eating his meals?' Gui Gui thought as she looks out into the city below her.

- - - - - -

“Gui Gui” Wang Zi said as he saw Gui Gui enters his room. “Where did you go? Didn't I tell you not to run around?” he said in a worriedly.

“I'm not running around” Gui Gui said with a smile on her face. “I went to refill your water” she said placing the bottle of water on the table.

Wang Zi sigh, “That's good, I thought you left” he said.

Gui Gui's back was facing him as he talked. She took a quiet deep breath and turns around.

“So how was your check up?” she ask.

“It went well, the doctor said that I’m recovering quite fast.”

“That's good” she said as she sat next to him. “So what do you want to do now?” she ask.

He slowly reached for her hand and crosses his fingers with hers.

“As long as you're here, I’m already content. With you by my side not doing anything, is like doing something already.”

Gui Gui smile and uncross their fingers. She held his hand like what friends does.

“Don't be too nice to me” she said softly. “Don't love me with all your heart, don't tell me that you love me,” she said as her voice began to tremble. “I don't deserve your love."

Just as she said that Wang Zi felt drops of water on his hands. 

Wang Zi looks at her speechless. He wet his lips with his tongue and gently squeezed her hand.

“Why? Did something happened during the time I wasn't awake?” he paused and swallowed. “Did you change the person that you love?...Did you decide to move on?”

The room suddenly became cold and tense.

Gui Gui lifts up her head to look at him. 

“A lot had happened during the time that you were still asleep...” she paused. “After the accident, my life went down hill...you were everything to me, I really didn't know how to live without you..so I went into the state of depression and sadness. I locked myself in my room everyday after visiting you at the hospital. But thanks to Ya Tou who knocked me out of my state, and my grand-father who taught me to have hope, I gradually became more normal. But my life wasn't moving anywhere, it was just cycling in the same place,” she said trying to read his expression.

“But that didn't stop me from having hope that one day you'll wake up and be by my side again. Even when everyone gave up hope, I didn't, because I thought that as long as I gave you some hope, some love, you'll wake up...but as time passes...you weren't getting any better. Just like how I was cycling in the same place, you were too. And that's when I started to give up on myself...but at the same time I keep on telling myself not to give up...looking at it now, I guess I was lying to myself, lying that you'll wake up, and so I told myself not give up hope, as long as I’m strong, you will be too. But does it really work that way?” she said like she was asking herself and him.

“It's strange how one part of me believes my lie, as the other part just want to give up. In the state of confusion and sadness...a man suddenly appears in my life. He was lost, he didn't know who he was, but he was always happy, and somehow he can always make me smile. Slowly over the time that we were together my heart started to beat differently towards him. It was the same beat when I first fell in love with you” she said still looking at Wang Zi.

Wang Zi slowly pulls his hand away from her grip.

“My heart had changed indeed. I thought that I could wait for you, but things that we don't imagine that would happen to us, happens...I'm sorry.”

After a long silence Wang Zi finally spoke.

“Why are you apologizing? Like you said, when everyone gave up hope, you didn't, so I should be the one thanking you instead. Thank you, thank you for not giving up on me, thank you for taking care of me, I already owe you too much. And actually...I knew about your relationship with the other man, my sister had told me the whole story,” he said shocking Gui Gui.

“At first I didn't believe it, or was it like I was lying to myself too? Telling myself that it was not true, it was impossible. But as our little time passes, I started to feel that you're starting to drift away from, I started to see how different you were...and that's when I stop lying to myself, but I wanted to hear it from you, I want to see you say it out of your mouth... and at last I did...” he said and smile.

“Seeing you it from your mouth hurts a billion times more, but I’m sure this pain is not comparable to what you've gone through...so stop feeling guilty. Because from this very moment on, we're just friends. I hope that you'll find your happiness on the path that you choose to go on,” he said and gave her a last smile before turning away from her. Facing the other side tears started to form in his eyes.

“Wang Zi-”

“Please leave, I want to be alone now” he said softly. “And...I wish the best for you.”

Gui Gui grabs her bag from the table and turns back to look at him.

“Thank you” she said sincerely, and heads towards the door.

Gui Gui opens the door and paused for a second, then she went out of the room.

Wang Zi rolled to the side and let all his tears out. Alone in his room he cries his pain out.

~

'Thank you for understanding' Gui Gui said as she stares up to Wang Zi's window from the outside of the hospital. “I hope you'll find your happiness soon too,” she said and left.

Gui Gui got home and started to back her things.

'Aaron, it won't be long until I get to see you again,' she thought as she zips up her bag.  

 

 

****

Updated!