Chapter 4

Until It's Gone

"Ahh, Ms. Min." Professor Kang calls, the three look a little surprised, since Kang refuses to acknowledge Tao or Sooyoung after they made it clear they stand with Eunhui. He signals them over and the three hesitantly follow. The male, Kang is speaking with turns around revealing a Cheshire grin & high cheekbones.

"Meet Dr. Jongdae Kim. He's going to be taking over for Prof. Eo. Dr. Kim, this is our student ambassador for the International Business majors, Ms. Min Sooyoung and Mr. Huang Zitao is president of our honor society." Professor Kang proudly introduces, Jongdae keeps his eyes on Eunhui, as if waiting for her introduction and Kang grumbles with a "Lee Eunhui, she's nothing but a trouble maker." The Doctorate's eyebrow reach up to his forehead at the statement and Eunhui has to stop herself from groaning out loud.

"Nice to meet to you. Please take care of me." Dr. Kim has a heavy accent and Sooyoung nudges Eunhui  "Same accent as you."

"Professor, can Sooyoung and I set up for our presentation?" Eunhui asks, and the professor seems as if he's about to make a rude comment, but Jongdae laughs and starts a conversation with Kang while waving the two towards the screen.

"Eunhui, where's the drive?" Sooyoung warily asks her friends, Eunhui turns to point to the pocket, but Sooyoung has the pocket opened and taken it.

"It was in there. I put it in there in front of you." Eunhui says, quickly emptying out her backpack in search for the Drive.

Dr.Kim and Kang seem to catch up on what's going on and that ensues a list of complaints on irresponsibility and etiquette and etc all pointed towards Eunhui and subtle comments on Sooyoung needing to find better friends.

Sooyoung is close to tears and Eunhui's close to having a mental break down when the first students begin to trickle in.

"You better be prepared in 5 minutes, or you're both receiving a zero." Professor Kang warns.


"Should I go?" Chanyeol asks for over the 100th time and Jongin has half a mind to smack the elder on the back of his head, and he does which results in a bunch of whines and complaints.

"Five more minutes." Sehun says, too focused on the game on his phone, to really look at the time. Baekhyun manages to pull Jongin and Chanyeol in as well and the four lose track of time.

"Oh fu*k, their class is almost about to end." Chanyeol jumps after checking the time and without waiting for his friends, he runs as fast as he can to the lecture hall. The other following close behind.

However, to their shock the lecture hall is empty.

Chanyeol quickly pulls his phone out and texts his girlfriend.

"They're at the cafe." Chanyeol once again sets off, without bothering to wait for his friends.

They're huffing by the time they run into the cafe, but the scene that greets them is unexpected considering Sooyoung and Eunhui are happily laughing and giggling, while Tao has stars in his eyes talking to someone.

"Yeollie." Sooyoung is the first to notice their presence and quickly waves the four over.

"Meet Dr. Jongdae Kim. He just got his Ph.D in International Economics and Finance. He's Baekhyun and your age. Can you believe it?" Sooyoung exclaims as if it's an impossible task to achieve.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you." His heavy accent does raise a few eyebrows, but they push it off and extend their hands. Sehun's not sure if he imagines it or not, but he thinks Dr. Jongdae was assessing him.

"How was the presentation?" Chanyeol hesitantly asks, the bright smile on Sooyoung's face is not what they were expecting.


"Where are you?" Eunhui mumbles, rummaging through her backpack and purse looking for the drive.

Tao is helping Sooyoung search through her backpack, while she looks through her purse.

"Three minutes." Professor Kang impatiently taps his hands on the podium.

"What's that around your neck, Ms.Lee." Dr.Jongdae comments, and Eunhui immediately stops and pulls the chain from under her blouse. Revealing a tiny rectangle dangling from the tiny chain.

"Got it." Eunhui cries, pulling on the tiny rectangle revealing it to be a drive and plugging it into her laptop, before connecting the proper wires to the projector.

Sooyoung quickly wipes the traces of her tears and after tightly hugging Eunhui, the two hurry to clean up their mess as Kang begins counting down their last 20 seconds.

Their presentation is a success and it's so good, Kang begrudgingly congratulates Sooyoung and Eunhui on a job well done.


"What happened to the flash drive in your backpack?" Baekhyun asks,

Eunhui looks quite uncomfortable and shy at the question, raising a few eyebrows as she stutters through her answer, "It's q-quite p-private, if you find it o-o-or k-kn-know who took it p-pl-lease return it to me." She ducks her head to hide what they assume her red cheeks, with the excuse of taking a bite of her food.

"I got to hand it to you, that was an amazing presentation. Would the two of you like to help me out as TA's. I'm thinking two per class to help me fit in better." Jongdae asks, the New York accent quite noticeable.

"You're from New York." Sooyoung asks, The male nods. "So, is Eunhui." Sooyoung bounces a little in her seat. After a few minutes of silence, Sooyoung manages to send Eunhui and Jongdae on a small trip to the counter to get her a cake. 

"Eunhui and Jongdae look good together don't they?" Sooyoung asks, the sudden question shocking the table, especially Sehun who chokes on his coffee, some escaping through his nose.

"The fu*k are you talking about?" Jongin doesn't care about watching his language.

"They're both from New York, they speak the same language and it seems like they get along quite well, look." Sooyoung points, just in time for them to see Jongdae beaming at Eunhui while he pats her hair.

"Who's the hot guy with Eunhui?" Eunsun joins the table with her boyfriend as they're eyeing the pair, animatedly chatting while they wait on Sooyoung's order.

"Substitute for Prof. Eo., He asked Eunhui and I to work with him as TA's." Sooyoung answers.

"Aren't you upset? Your girlfriend called another man hot in front of you?" Baekhyun taunts, but Kyungsoo doesn't even bother looking at the older answering with a simple, "She's still dating me."

"He might be hot, but you're the hottest for me." Eunsun winks at her boyfriend, causing him to grin and kiss her while the rest of their friends groan.

"Oh, new faces. Hello, I'm Jongdae Kim." The male introduces, returning to the table with a small tray holding a variety of desserts.

"Do Kyungsoo." "Oh Eunsun."

"Oh, I heard about your upcoming nuptials. Congratulations." Jongdae says, the table freezes at the words, and the male looks up from his cake to see the stunned faces.

"I'm good friends with Suhyun, he was telling me about his younger sibling's upcoming wedding." Jongdae clarifies,

Kyungsoo clears his throat, "He was talking about Sehun."

"Oh." Jongdae mumbles, focusing on his plate.

"You're getting married?" Sooyoung asks, but her boyfriend stuffs with a piece of cheesecake and throws an apologetic glance at Sehun.


"We have to meet once during the holidays. My family leaves for Busan tonight and we'll be back in two days. I'll text you once I return and we can grab lunch together." Sooyoung tells Eunhui, arms still tightly wrapped around her shoulders.

"Okay. I'll let you know. Enjoy the holidays." Eunhui pulls back and pushes Sooyoung to her car, knowing her family is waiting for her. Chanyeol is also waiting to say his goodbyes, so Eunhui leaves to give them some privacy.


"I'm going to fu*king murder you Kim Jongin." Sehun grumbles, stomping through the music building trying to locate his best friend before he gets castrated.

He's walking through the practice rooms when he hears the soft notes of a piano, followed by the most beautiful voice he has ever heard in his life. Trying to find the room, but not wanting to lose the voice, he pulls his phone out and starts recording. The closer he gets to the room, the clearer the voice gets as the last lines of Beyonce's Halo are sung and the piano stops. Sehun stops the recording and tries to find the room, but each room he looks into is empty and he's determined to find the room, when he's distracted by an incoming call from Chanyeol.

Remembering his original mission, Sehun declines the phone and tries calling his best friend again, thankfully he picks up this time and informs him, he's already left the building and is waiting for Sehun at the parking lot.

Hesitating on whether he should go search for the angelic voice or not, he looks into the remaining rooms in the hallway, only to come empty handed. Dejected he heads over to the parking lot, to find his best friend looking extremely cheerful.

"Seriously, couldn't you wait for after dinner?" Sehun grumbles, watching Jongin try and fix his hair to look more presentable rather than the I-just-got-fuc*ed look it was sporting.

"I can't see her after dinner." Jongin defends himself, causing Sehun to roll his eyes.

"The day everyone finds out, you're so dead." Sehun tells him,

"What are they going to find out. We're just friends." Jongin smirks,

"You forgot to add with benefits." Sehun sasses,

"We're both adults, capable of making our own decisions." Jongin shrugs.


"Where's Eunhui?" Sehun asks, noticing the absence of the nerd at the breakfast table.

"She's visiting her family. It is Chuseok holidays." Grandpa Oh chuckles, Sehun can't stop the frown from appearing on his face, though the elders mistake it as a sign of him missing Eunhui, when in actuality he's upset about the change in his plans.