Chapter 23

Until It's Gone

"What's going on?" Jia asks, after Jongdae stomps into the living room radiating a dangerous aura while Evalyn calmly walks in after him. 

"He's mad at me." Evalyn says, taking a seat between Yixing and Taeyong.

"Did something happen?" Yixing cautiously asks, not wanting to anger Jongdae more.

"Ask her, what the was she doing with Oh Sehun?" Jongdae sneers,

"What is he talking about?" Taeyoung asks, looking at Evalyn.

"We happened to be in the same place at the same time, so we talked." She tells them, just as Taehyung and Nayoung quietly walk in.

"Talking? Since when did talking include hugs?" Jongdae scoffs,

"I was trying to comfort him, I know you noticed his red eyes." Evalyn points,

"Are you fu*king serious? After what he's done to you, you're comforting him?" Jongdae yells, shocking everyone as he rarely raises his voice against his friends especially his cousins.

"Dae." Jia startles, as Jongdae had mistakenly pushed a glass off the table.

"Stop Dae-ing me. I have to know. Why the fu*k was he able to earn your forgiveness, after all the pain he's caused you?" Jongdae asks, frustrated at his cousin.

"Because I want to let go and move on. I don't want to waste my energy on negative emotions. Right now, I simply want to work on getting better. Carrying that pain and suffering is not going to do anyone any good." She explains, "And I know where you're coming from but Dae, I want you to let go of your anger as well. Please?" She pleads,

"I don't think I can do that." He tells her, attempting to leave the room.

"Dae, please. I know, you're angry for me and I'm so grateful to you but please I'm asking you to let it go. Don't let that negativity take over." She stops him, noticing the tears leaving his eyes,

"I don't know how, E. I was there with you through the bad times and I can't bring myself to forget the tears you've shed, the pain you've been through because of them. I can't bring myself to do it." Jongdae reveals, folding over as he loudly sobs,

Nayoung is quick at his side, comforting him along with Junmyeon as Yixing and Taehyung do their best to comfort a sobbing Evalyn.


Breakfast next morning is tense as the group silently moves around each other, not knowing what to say.

The silence is broken with a simple statement, "I think you should see a therapist." Taeyoung tells Jongdae,

"I started seeing one recently and it's helping me." The younger male further reveals,

"You're seeing someone?" Jongdae asks, surprised as he never heard anything about it.

"I have nightmares, Taemin noticed and asked me to see someone. I still have them occasionally, but they're not as severe as before." Taeyoung explains.

"I didn't know you had nightmares?" Yixing asks, reprimanding himself for not noticing the problems of his younger sibling.

"Don't blame yourself hyung. There's plenty of self-blame going around right now. I didn't tell anyone because I have too much pride to admit that the incident terrified me to such an extent." Taeyoung says,

"I think it'll be a good idea." Jia adds,

"What's a good idea?" Evalyn asks, entering the dining room.

"I'm going to see a therapist." Jongdae tells her, Evalyn pauses for a moment, before nodding at him.

"I'm sure it'll help." She smiles.


"I am so done with exams." Sooyoung groans, face plopping onto the table after slamming her laptop shut.

"Hey, be glad you only have two more to go. Some people have an entire performance to prepare for." Haera whines about her finals.

"Do you guys really want to compare yourself to a master's student?" Evalyn asks, pointing between Baekhyun, Chanyeol and herself.

"Honestly, not only do we have our thesis presentation, but also exams, unlike you undergrads who only have to worry about exams." Baekhyun whines,

"Food is here." Jongdae announces, setting the overflowing tray of treats in the middle of the table.

"You're the best Dae." Evalyn smiles, reaching for a muffin and drink, once everyone has chosen something.

"Tell me something I don't know." He jokes, taking the seat beside his cousin.

"Where's Kyungsoo?" Tao asks, scanning the cafe.

"He's helping Sehun and Eunsun move." Baekhyun answers, nervously looking over Evalyn and Jongdae.

Jongdae rolls his eyes, "I'm not going to get mad if you talk about them."

"We don't want to risk it." Haera nervously chuckles,

"Even if I got upset, I wouldn't take it out on you." Jongdae says,

"Sehun's moving?" Evalyn asks,

"The elders want him to manage one of their other branches." Baekhyun tells them.

"But Sehun never wanted to work at Oh Corps." Evalyn says, confused.

"It's their way of punishing him." Chanyeol sighs,

"What about Eunsun?" Sooyoung asks,

"She's going with Sehun, but she's going to be starting of at the bottom." Baekhyun adds,

"I'm guessing Jongin is with them?" Tao asks, Chanyeol nods.

"Those two managing a branch. I can already see the failure." Jongdae snickers,

"Dae." Evalyn frowns at him, but the male shrugs.


"Finally done." Sooyoung cries, draping herself around Eunhui as the two exit their last exam.

"Twinkle." Evalyn smiles, seeing her brother walking up to them.

"How did it go?" Yixing asks, handing his sister a bottle of juice.

"Good. I think I might have missed a few points, but I'm confident." She tells him, while Chanyeol and Sooyoung are wrapped in their own world.

"We're having bbq at our place tonight, bring Baekhyun and Tao along." Yixing tells the couple, before the two siblings are off.


"Min might be back in town soon." Evalyn looks over her shoulders at her best friend leaning against the kitchen door.

"Oh." She simply says, pretending to look inside the fridge.

"E." Taehyung rolls his eyes at his best friends actions.

"Look, I've given you the past months to figure your thoughts out, but can you please share those thoughts with me." Taehyung asks, leaning against the space across her.

"I don't know T. I focused all my energy and time on my finals and thesis. I've purposely avoided even thinking about it, so I honestly don't know." She sighs, shutting the fridge and leaning against it as she faces him. 

"Your last exam was a week ago." Taehyung raises an eyebrow,

"I've been going to the company with Xing." She retorts,

"Evalyn, be honest with me. It's because of Mom, isn't it?" Her best friend hits the nail, seeing as she instantly freezes up, staring at him wide-eyed.

"What are you talking about?" She nervously asks, looking anywhere but him.

"After Mom heard about everything that happened, she called me sobbing. She told me how rudely she sent you away, going as far as giving you multiple calls every time Min was in the country to make sure you stayed away from him." Taehyung reveals, the female remains silent.

"Evalyn Zhang, why would you not tell us about it? We would have talked to mom." Taehyung scolds, calming down as he sees the tears lining his best-friend's eyes.

"I was put in Min's shoes and it was much more difficult than I made it seem. I was so self-absorbed with my problems, I failed to notice the strain I was putting on Minseok by trying to go against my family." She wetly chuckles, wiping at her eyes, before continuing, "Family is everything to Minseok and I would never want to be the reason they're fighting. I would also never want to put Minseok in a situation that causes him to have to choose between his Mother or me."

"E-

"So, you would rather choose for me?" Taehyung is cut-off by his brother, shocking the two best friends as the older male steps into the kitchen.

"Hyung." Taehyung gulps, noticing the look Minseok is giving Eunhui,

"I think Luhan is looking for me." Taehyung fibs, patting his best friend's shoulder, before booking it out of the kitchen. 

"Taehyung." Evalyn calls after him, but the male is long gone.

"I think Yixing is also looking for me." She tries to use the same tactic, but Minseok steps in front of her, blocking her exit.

"Junmyeon, Jia and him were heading outside, when I was coming in." He tells her,

"Taehyung was just telling me about you coming back, but I didn't think you would be here this quick." She tries to joke, looking for a way out of the room.

"If you're making decisions for me, can I assume it's a Yes." Minseok asks,

"Yes? For what?" She finally looks at him, before quickly averting her eyes.

"For our wedding." He simply says, causing her to once again look at him wide-eyed, though this time she maintains eye contact.

"H-how, how do you get that from that?" She asks,

"Didn't we always say, only our spouses could make decisions for us." He smirks,

"I-I-I -"

"Oh, Minseok is here." Nayoung interrupts them, surprised at seeing the elder male.

"When did you get here?" Nayoung asks, subtly pulling Minseok away,

"Just a few hours ago. I need to talk to Evalyn, if you could." Minseok tries to send her away,

"You can talk later. We haven't seen you in months. The trio misses their third." Nayoung ignores his words, pulling him out of the kitchen, giving Evalyn a wink over her shoulder as the duo disappear from sight, leaving Evalyn to breathe a sigh of relief.


"It's me." Nayong's voice sounds through the door, before Evalyn is cautiously pulling it open to pull her friend inside the bathroom.

"I saw Taehyung zoom out of the kitchen. We can't having a war in the kitchen, Yixing would kill you for messing his kitchen up." Nayoung jokes, leaning against the sink, while Evalyn is seated on the toilet lid.

"Minseok and Taehyung know. They know about Aunty." Evalyn reveals, running a hand through her hair.

"Were you planning on keeping it from them forever?" Nayoung asks,

"Of course. Why do you think I never told anyone? You only know, cause you picked up aunty's call once." Evalyn tells the other female.

"And you should be grateful, I'm keeping it from Yixing and the others." Nayoung gives her a pointed look, before sighing.

"Hun, don't you think you were being unfair." It's Evalyn's turn to glare at her sister-in-law.

"Double standards" Nayoung clarifies "When Minseok hid the fact about grandpa going behind your back to him, you were beyond pissed, so imagine how he feels, and please don't sprout the it's different nonsense. When you expect him to be truthful about things, you have to do it yourself as well. I understand where you're coming from but that doesn't mean it's right. You made a bad decision, accept it and try to solve it."


"Hey." Evalyn greets, looking around the living room.

"What's up?" Taehyung asks, rubbing his head as he plops into the couch.

"Is Minseok home?" She asks,

"He's not. But I'm sure he'll be back soon." Taehyung tells her,

"I-I think I'll just look for him another time." She stands, attempting to leave.

"E. Min said he'll be back by lunch time. So, just wait for him." Taehyng tells her,

"If you want to wait in his room, you can. I would love to hangout, but I have to finish looking over a few reports." He scratches his head, but his best friend gives him a small smile, before she's heading up the stairs.

Evalyn smiles at the familiar smell of Minseok's room as she closes the door behind her. A tear makes it's way down her cheek as she looks at the familiar room. The picture wall surrounding his desk is still the same, although she does notice the few additions from their Jeju trip.

The first thing she does is head for his closet, looking for her favorite hoodie. Putting it on as soon as she gets her hands on it.

She tries to stay awake but Minseok has always been her safe haven and he's not there, his hoodie is enough of a reminder which lulls her into a dreamless sleep.


"Welcome back." Minseok gently smiles down at her, brushing her hair behind her ear.

"Hi." She smiles,

"Good sleep?" Minseok asks, going to pull his hand away, but Evalyn grabs it, lacing their fingers together.

"The best I've had in long time." She smiles, lovingly gazing at him.

"Dinner's going to be ready soon, if you want to freshen up." He tells her,

"How did you find out? About your mom? I didn't even tell Taehyung." She asks,

Minseok sighs, before reaching over to the nightstand for his phone.

"I can't hurt Minseok like that. I'm sorry."

"Was it not going to hurt him, when you came here a year ago?"

"Before I came here, Minseok and I got into a car crash.."

"Stop." Evalyn sobs, not wanting to hear more.

"After I got this, I confronted mom." He tells her, putting his device away.

"If you know my reasons, why do you still insist on me?" She asks him,

"Why did you keep fighting your family for us? Because we're happy with each other.  You're my happiness. You said I deserve all the happiness in the world and for me, it's you. Happiness is watching you smile because of me and getting to love you everyday." He softly smiles, kissing her knuckles.

"I-I"

"Do you remember, the first time you confessed to me, I kept insisting that it was only puppy love, ?" Minseok asks, causing her to giggle.

"I told you it wasn't. Because you look like a little kitty." She chuckles, leaning over to rest her head on his shoulder,

"I mean it when I say you're my happiness. After you left and I was able to get back on my feet, Mom tried so hard to set me up on blind-dates. And she managed to succeed a few times, but as soon as they left, I couldn't even remember who they were, I didn't care enough to." He tells her,

"I won't have blamed you, if you found s-someone else." She says, though her voice betrays her emotions.

"Evalyn." He sighs, reaching to cup her cheeks, but he stops, not wanting to make her uncomfortable. (Even if she's resting her head on his shoulders.)

"I can't. For me, it's you or no one. I love you, You're it for me." He tells her,

"I love you too." She sniffles, trying to control her tears,

"But I need time. I want to work on myself before I can confidently come to you." She tells him.

"Whenever you're ready, I'll be waiting for you." He smiles,

"I love you." She tells him, wrapping her arms around his waist and pulling him close.

"I love you too." He whispers, kissing her head as she sobs into his chest.


"They made up." Taehyung whispers, sneaking away from his brother's room as he updates Nayoung and Jongdae.

"Finally." Jongdae cheers, thankfully Taehyung has his headphones on, or he's pretty sure the couple would have heard the loud cheering.

"What's going on?" Luhan asks, bumping into his younger cousin.

"Nothing, Where you headed off to?" Taehyung asks, noticing the files in the older male's hands.

"I need to talk to Minseok." Luhan says,

"Do it tomorrow." Taehyung pulls the male away,

"Why?" Luhan asks,

"He's occupied at the moment." Taehyung gives him a knowing look, before he's walking away.

"Finally." Luhan nods, before he's pulling out his phone to inform his fiancee.