Chapter 1

Until It's Gone

"Good morning, young master." Sehun jumps looking up from his phone only to be met with the sight of his entire family seated at the breakfast table with the exception of his older half-brother. 

"Why are you still standing there?" His grandfather chuckles, waving him over. The younger playfully rolls his eyes, walking over to take his seat next to his older half-sister.

"As I mentioned before, we're pushing through with the contract." Grandpa Oh says, as the maids serve them their breakfast. His words cause everyone at the table to freeze and carefully look over to their youngest. 

When no one says anything, the eldest cautiously starts again. "I've talked to the other family and we think it's better if Eunhui were to move and finish her schooling here. She's also in her last year. The company will start leaking information about the arrangement in about 3 months, we'll officially confirm a month later. The engagement will be held during our annual Christmas Eve gala after which Sehun and Eunhui will be moving in together. The wedding wil be held two months after your graduation." The eldest informs them.

"I thought we were going to try to find another alternative, what happened to that?" Sehun raises an eyebrow,

"They first wanted the alliance between Eunsun and their son, but they barely agreed to Eunhui and your proposal with the business deal being affected. Sehun, you know your grandfather hates breaking his promises. I promised my childhood friend, I can't go back on it now. Please, grandson." Grandpa begs.

"Why not hyung?" Sehun demands,

"It might have to do with the fact, she's closer in age to you. We tried suggesting your hyung, but they strongly prefer you." Grandpa Oh says, Sehun misses the looks his parents pass each other, but Eunsun notices it, though she chooses to stay quiet.

"If you want, we can push for Eunsu-"

"No. I'll do it." Sehun states, storming out the room, before anyone can stop him.

"You could have broken the news gently." Grandma Oh speaks for the first time.

"My dear, that was gentle. I'm not forcing him to marry immediately. He has the chance to get to know her and spend time with her. I've meet Eunhui and she's perfect for our little troublemaker. Sehun won't be able to stop himself from falling for her." Grandpa Oh proudly states, grinning as he goes back to eating.

"Was it right to lie to him though?" His son whispers to his wife, but Eunsun manages to hear as well.

She's about to ask what he means, but she's distracted by the ringing of her phone.


Jongin huffs standing outside the studio door. He had to run from his office to the studio room after the text Eunsun send him. He quietly enters the room, wincing at the loud music blasting through the speakers and watching his best friend recklessly move his head to the beat.

"Sehun." Jongin tries to yell over the music, but decides the easiest and smartest way would be to turn off the music. Though, the younger continues to keep spinning circles, even with the music turned off.

"Sehun." Jongin yells, pulling on his arm to pull the boy to sit on the floor.

"What's wrong?" Jongin sighs, handing him a water bottle and a towel, before joining his friend on the floor.

"They couldn't find a way out of the contract." Sehun says after chugging half the bottle. "Lee Eunhui, she's going to be joining our university." He finishes off the rest of the bottle.

"At least it's not Eunsun, imagine if Satansoo makes an appearance." Jongin jokes, but Sehun barely reacts to it.

"Sehun." Jongin pokes the younger, the male looks deep in thought and the smirk that's seems to be making it's way on his face, means trouble.

"I don't like that look on your face." Jongin groans, burying his head between his knees.  Sehun smirks, watching his best friend contemplate his life choices.

"Come on Jongin. Lee Eunhui is going to be joining our humble university. We have to throw her an amazing welcome party."

"Party? I heard party." Baekhyun pokes his head in through the door, seeing the two youngest of the group on the floor, he enters the room followed by the rest of their group.

"My dear fiance is going to be attending our university. I'm thinking of throwing her a welcome party." Sehun smirks at the thoughts of the amount of fun he's going to have with Lee Eunhui.

"Just like the one we threw for the scholarship kids." Chanyeol claps his hands, watching the youngest nod.

"Oh no no. This one needs to be better than that." Sehun adds,

"We barely managed to escape that, if it happens again, we'll get caught." Tao hesitantly states,

"Taozi, you worry too much." Baekhyun puts the younger in a headlock, while they begin working on their 'welcome party'

Lee Eun Hui get ready for the best party of my life. I’m going to make you regret even thinking about marrying me.” 


Two months later........

 

"Sehun where are you going?" Mrs. Oh calls out, as he's walking to the garage.

“Studio. One of the teachers can't make it and Jongin has a class of his own.” He yells over his shoulder, continuing his way to the garage.

"Eunsun will be here with Eunhui any minute now. Greet her before you go." His mother yells, but the male chooses to ignore her, slamming the garage door behind him.


"We're here." Eunsun says, leading the girl through the hallway and to the living room, where she knows her family is going to be waiting for her.

Just as she predicted, the Oh elders are seated in the living room with tea when the two Eun's walk into the room. Well, Sun walks in first, Hui trying her best to catch up, but a cast does slow people down. 

The elders are shocked watching their future daughter-in-law enter the room, not only due to the boot on her foot but also her overall appearance. The girl has on black, thick-rimmed glasses that seem to cover her entire face, they can also make out wires on her teeth when she smiles at them and there's another cast on her arm.

"Oh my dear, what happen?" Grandma Oh worries, as Mrs.Oh gently helps the injured girl take a seat at the sofa.

"I was involved in an accident a couple months ago. The cast only need two more weeks and three more weeks for the braces. I'm just glad I'll be free of the casts before classes start up." Eunhui assures them with a soft chuckle.

"Sorry for my manners." Eunhui stands up and bows to each of the elders. "Hello, I'm Lee Eunhui, you can call me Hui. It's nice to meet you all." She greets, before taking a seat again. The elders share a knowing and proud smile, knowing they're made a good choice.

"Hui dear, do you remember me?" Grandpa Oh asks with a soft smile.

"Of course I do. We meet at the anniversary celebration of Zhang Groups some months ago and Grandpa Oh is childhood friends with my yeye." She smiles.

"That's right. We did. This is my son Seunghyuk and his wife Jaemi, Sehun's parents, My wife." Grandpa Oh introduces and Hui once again stands to bow to the elders.

"Nice to meet you all." The heavy accent causes more fond smiles.

"I don't mean to be rude, but is it possible for me to rest up. I'm sorry, I'm still on medication that makes me drowsy." She politely states and the women quickly work on getting her escorted to a room. The maids offer to unpack her suitcases for her, but she refuses, bidding them with gentle smiles.


"I love her." Grandma Oh tells her husband, as the two women join Eunsun and Grandpa Oh in the living room.

"Dad has a meeting to attend." Eunsun tells her mother, noticing her look for her husband.

"I like her as well. She seems sweet and kind. Perfect for our Sehun, don't you think Sun." Mrs.Oh asks her daughter.

"I think she's nice as well." Sun fake her smile, conflicted at her situation. On the long ride from the airport, she got to talk a bit more with Eunhui and the girl seems nice, but Sun made the mistake of falling for the sweet act once and she's not going to risk her brothers getting hurt again.


"Where's Eunhui?" Grandpa Oh asks, from his seat at the head of the table. The family is currently seated for dinner and waiting for Eunhui to join.

Sehun is doing his best to put on a nice smile for the first part of his act he likes to call, Plucking the Thorn.

"I'm sorry. I set an alarm, but I slept right through it." Her voice beats her, before she slowly wobbles into the room. Sehun has to stop himself scoffing as he watches the ugly nerd take the seat across from him. 

"It's fine, dear. We should have sent a maid to wake you up." Grandma Oh sweetly smiles at her. Sehun can't stop himself from rolling his eyes at the double standards, if he was ever late, they would lecture him on punctuality, but the nerd gets away with it.

After all staff has left the room, Grandpa Oh clears his throat. "I've talked to Sehun about this already, but I wanted to know your opinion as well. Sometime in October, our companies will start leaking information regarding the alliance and a month after we'll confirm it. Your engagement will be held during our annual Christmas Eve gala. After which Sehun and you will moving to an apartment of your own. Your wedding will two months after your graduation." Grandpa Oh repeats.

"Is it possible for me to suggest something else? I can assure you, this won't have an effect on the professional relationship between our families." Eunhui starts, waiting for the elders to nod for her to continue.

"Well, first I would like to point out a huge flaw in the plan you suggested. There's no possible way for the engagement to occur on Christmas Eve, considering my family has an unspoken tradition celebrating the holiday exclusively. I'm sure you've heard off it from yeye. We might not be traditional, but there's some traditions we stick to." Eunhui keeps her eyes on the oldest Oh, and the man nods along.

"Another tradition we follow is the engagement period.  There's a strict one year engagement period that we must abide by. And unfortunately, this is my first time meeting your son." Eunhui explains, "I'm not sure why yeye forgot to mention this, considering he recently implemented this on my brother and cousin." Eunhui fondly chuckles. She sees Eunsun slightly stiffen, but files the information for later.

"He did. That sneaky old man." Grandpa Oh chuckles, before waving at Eunhui to continue.

"From my understanding, you had a fortune teller draw up the dates, so I'm sure there were other dates provided as well." She directs this at Grandma and Mrs.Oh.

"Right. We did. Hold on." Grandma Oh calls over a maid to fetch the dates.

"Christmas Eve was the most reasonable." Mrs.Oh comments, Eunsun and Sehun looks completely out of the loop, watching this outsider manage to wrap her fingers around their eldest in less than 24 hours of arriving.

Mrs.Oh has the maid read the dates "December 24, Feburary 20th, March 26th, 4th April, 17th May."

"We can't do Feburary 20th. So, how about March 2-"

"I think the day in April is more suitable. From my understanding, your eldest son's birthday is on March 24th and the whole family spends the week overseas to celebrate." Eunhui surprises the table with that information.

"I noticed some pictures on the hallway and asked a maid about them. She kindly provided me with all this information." Eunhui meekly smiles at the confused faces.

"Of course. Well, then I guess we can have an engagement date. April 4th. However, that means the wedding will have to be moved to after a year." Grandpa Oh says,

"We'll go to the fortune teller tomorrow." Grandma Oh assures her husband.

"Umm." Eunhui looks at the elder couple.

"What did I miss now?" Grandpa chuckles.

"You mentioned Sehun and I having to move in together after our engagement. But now that has been moved, will we be expected to move in the same days or after the new engagement?" She asks,

"What would you prefer?" The question is directed at the couple,

"Christmas."

"April."

The two look at each other, Sehun raising an eyebrow as Eunhui gets ready to defend her answer.

"My family is liberal and open-minded, but we still prefer if a couple live together only after they're engaged or married. However, I understand you weren't expecting me to stay here for a long period, I don't mind moving out on my own." Eunhui offers,

"Of course not, you're welcome to stay as long as you like and I have to agree with you, I believe myself to be somewhat open-minded, but the thought of the two of you staying together alone, before any kind of commitment is quite worrying." Grandma Oh voices.

"I'll talk to your grandfather and update him and we can talk more about the wedding later. I guess we have quite some time before we need to worry about it." Grandpa Oh chuckles.


"How's my daughter doing?" The male asks his father, after he gets off the phone with his friend. 

"Not letting anyone take her down." The elder chuckles, seeing the confused look on his face he explains what his friend informed him off.

"She's stubborn." Hui's father proudly smiles,

"Don't look too proud. Oh is set on getting her married to their youngest son." The elder sighs, the smiles transfer into frowns.

"He better stick to his end of the promise. I'm not going to sacrifice my daughter's happiness for a promise that wasn't even made before I was born." The son determinedly tells his father, and rather than looking upset or angry, the elder has a soft and proud smile on his face.


"Hi." Eunhui is staring at the picture on the wall, when someone startles her.

Sehun smirks seeing her jump, walking close to her to see which picture has her dazed. He can't hide the confusion on his face, when he notices it's just a  picture his older brother took from a trip to Bora Bora. The picture is taken at the beach and in the distance is a couple wrapped in each other's arm as they're staring at their face. Though the faces are unclear, anyone can tell the couple is madly in love, with the way the man is holding his partner and the bright smile on the female's face.

"It's a pretty picture, isn't it." Sehun asks,

"Definitely."

"We haven't officially met. I'm Oh Sehun." He offers his hand, but she chooses to slightly bow and mumble her name.

"Are you the Lee based in Daegu?" Sehun asks, the girl hums as a response. A frown appears on Sehun's face, but is quickly replaced with a fake smile.

"I'll see you tomorrow Eunhui. Good night." Sehun greets, but the girl is still to busy admiring the picture on the wall.

Sehun turns to look at her once and at her dopey expression, he takes a snap before sending it to his friends. "What a loser." The group immediately sends back responses asking about their plan and the rest of the night Sehun spends updating his friends and the plan.

"Lee Eunhui, let's have fun."