Chapter 2

Until It's Gone

"Good morning." Eunhui jumps at the sight of Sehun waiting for her, leaning against the wall.

"You scared me." The girl mumbles. Sehun tried his hardest to learn Mandarin, but for the life in him, he couldn't.

"I didn't mean to." He chuckles, signaling her to walk ahead of him.

"You should go first, the cast slows me down." She argues, but the taller is too stubborn, so with a huff she leads the way to the dining room.

"What are you majoring in?" Sehun starts a conversation, internally annoyed with the nerd for taking 10 freaking minutes to climb down a flight of stairs.

"International business. You?"

"Business Adminstration." Sighing, once they reach the ground floor. "What exactly happened?" Sehun signals to the casts and wires.

"Long story. But the maid was telling me something about a dance studio?" She manages to switch the topic and Sehun doesn't give much of a care since he gets to talk about his baby.

"I double-major in Dance Performance, My best friend and I have a little dance studio." Sehun smiles, the rest of the walk, Sehun talks about his studio.

"You came together." Mrs.Oh teases, causing Sehun to roll his eyes, while he helps Eunhui with her chair. Eunsun looks at her brother, but the younger winks at her before taking his own seat.

"Sehun, why don't you take Hui to the studio today?" Mrs.Oh suggests, Sehun wants to glare at his mother for even suggesting that, because the dance studio is a scared place and ugly is not allowed in there.

"I'm going to have to decline. I have some appointments I need to take care of today. Maybe another time." The tone Eunhui uses sounds as if that's never going to happen, but the rational side of Sehun isn't working and he's only happy, the nerd refused herself.

"Sehun can drive you around." Mrs.Oh quickly offers again, and Sehun can't stop himself from glaring at his mother.

"That would be nice." Eunhui accepts, "But Sehun was talking about having an important meeting today, I wouldn't want him to miss that." Eunhui shakes her head, Sehun barely manages to hear and is suddenly thankful for girls who actually listen when he talks, rather than drool over him.

"Oh, how about Eunsun?" Mrs.Oh asks,

"Eunsun has to be on campus today, she mentioned something about meeting her supervisor." Eunhui answers, Eunsun looks shocked as well, considering she only mentioned that in passing and the girl was able to remember that.

"Don't worry about me Mrs.Oh. I'll be fine. I haven't lived in Seoul before, but I've visited many times." Eunhui assures her.


"WTF. Does that girl remember everything?" Sehun asks, walking his sister to her car.

"I wonder. But I'm glad she's not tagging along with either of us." Eunsun sighs,

"I'm smart, aren't I. I told you to fill up your calender with appointments, so we wouldn't be stuck driving her around." Sehun grins at his older sister.

"My little brother." She fondly ruffles his hair.

"I researched her company and sis, it's not even in the Top 500. Why is grandpa downgrading?" Sehun asks, but she has no answer either.


"Is she hot?" Sehun is barely through the door, when the oldest of the group fires off questions one after another.

"She's uglier than half the nerds. She's a complete nerd. She had the biggest glasses and she has braces." Sehun shudders remembering her face. 

"Eww, We have to chase her away as fast as possible." Baekhyun scrunches his nose in disgust, eyeing the picture of Eunhui on Sehun's phone.

"I think if she removed her glasses, fixed her hair and her terrible sense of fashion, she might look good." Tae adds, causing the four males in the room to glare at him.

"You know, I actually agree with Taozi. He might be on the right track. After she has her casts removed, take her to a salon and get her better clothes, and she might be passable." Jongin teases.

"Shut up. The only place I'm taking her to is Hell." Sehun grumbles.

"Don't you want to get to know her a little, before you outright reject her?" Kyungsoo asks, Sehun looks at him as if he's lost a significant portion of his brain.

"Outside appearances can be quite deceiving Sehun-ah." Kyungsoo solemnly states, but the others snickers at his words.

"Be honest, if Sun looked like this would you date her?" Sehun asks, the other doesn't hesitate to nod his head.

"Honestly, even if Sooyoung looked like a nerd, I would still love her. It would take longer for me to overlook her outer appearance, but once we started talking and getting to know each other, I'm certain I would still love her." Chanyeol adds, a love struck look on his face.

"You guys are disgusting." Baekhyun mocks,

"Well, I'm not interested in her."

"What makes you sure she's interested in you?" Kyungsoo asks, causing the whole group to freeze.

"I'm Oh Sehun, of course she's interested in me." Sehun arrogantly states, his sister's boyfriend is not impressed.

"When she first saw you, how did she react?" Kyungsoo asks, the youngest thinks back to the night before, Eunhui barely spared him a glance and she only looked at him when she had to. And so he tells them that.

"She was shy, so she kept avoiding you." Tao squeals and claps his hands, the others don't see the flaw in his 'logic'.

"Sun, said the engagement has been moved to April and the wedding will be two years later, at the recommendation of Eunhui. If she wanted to marry you, she would prefer getting married ASAP." Kyungsoo points out,

"She wants to know him more, before they get married." Tao rebuts once again.

"We talked this morning and she kept asking me questions about my life." Sehun adds,

"But did she tell you anything about hers?"

"Not really, but it's not as if I asked either."

"Sehun, just make sure this girl is actually a horrible person before you decide to ruin what could have been something good in your life." Kyungsoo exasperatedly states, walking out of the room filled with idiots.

"Dude, these love sick idiots think everything is beautiful with their rose tinted eyes, if you don't like her, you don't. Just do what you want." Baekhyun tells him.

"Well, I want to continue the plan. I don't care how nice she is or whatever. I don't want her, and I know I'm never going to want her ever." Sehun states.


"Have you talked to her?" The blonde male startles at the question, Eunhui's older brother is leaning against the doorway watching his close friend lie on the hospital bed.

"She's fine. Her casts will be removed soon and the wires will be another week after. Classes start in a week and she's nervous like always." Eunhui's best friend chuckles. Sighing, the raven-haired male walks into the room and pulls a chair on the other side of the bed.

"They're going to wake him up soon." The blonde says, watching the machine beep the same tone as they've been for the past month.

"Hurry up and get better soon dude. Football season is about to start, we need our loudest cheerleader." The raven-haired male jokes.


"You're home."  Eunhui startles at the sudden sound from the quiet living room. Sehun is seated on the couch with all the lights off, almost as if he's been waiting for her.

"Yeah. How was your meeting?" She asks, slowly hobbling into the room, she chooses to sit on the other couch.

"Fine." He carefully watches her.

"Your mother send me a text to let me know, I can have dinner without the family. Grandpa and Grandma have something with their friends and your parents are attending some event." Eunhui tells him, after an awkward silence.

"The maid's are given the nights off on these days. Sun and I usually eat out with our friends." Sehun tells her.

"Oh, Okay. Enjoy!" Eunhui bows, hobbling towards the stairs, leaving behind a dumbfounded Sehun.


Dumbfounded Sehun is an angry and embarrassed Sehun, recalling the moment with his friends.

"What did you want her to say?" Tao asks.

"I wanted her to ask if she can come, after which I was planning on humiliating her for even thinking about associating with me." Sehun grumbles, crossing his arms and thinking about his failed expectation.

"Idiot." Sun and Kyungsoo ruffle his hair, on their way to the dance floor.

"Good luck next time."


"Are you busy today?" Eunhui was not expecting Sehun to be waiting at her door once again, but she doesn't startle this time.

"Why?" Sehun notices her visibly stiffening and internally high fives at getting the girl nervous.

"I wanted to know if you had time for a date?" He boldly asks, thankfully Eunhui was holding onto the railings or she's sure, the sudden question would have send me tumbling down the stairs.

"E-exc-excuse me, what?" She looks at his wide-eyed, Sehun quickly schools his expression to one of innocence.

"Time for a date." He grins, carefully observing her.

"Su-sure." She smiles at him, before walking as fast as she can to the dining room.

All the members of the Oh family seem to be aware of their date, since they're all throwing coy smiles and gestures whenever she so much as looks at any of them. Thankfully, the topic of their oldest son distracts them enough.

"How long before hyung comes back?" Sehun pouts, looking at the empty chair next to his mother.

"He's almost done with the contract. After Jeju, he's going to be in Japan for sometime, and then he has to go to New York, but don't worry, he'll be back for Eunsun's birthday." Mr.Oh informs them. The younger siblings share a sad look before focusing on their breakfast.


"Ready." Sehun puts on his best smile, before turning to face the ugly nerd and just like he expected, she's still looks ugly, though it's not as if she's wearing anything fancy, just an oversized hoodie and acid-washed jeans with sneakers, he wants to laugh at the irony of them wearing matching outfits.

"Due to your limited motor abilities, I was thinking of just watching a movie. Is that fine?" Sehun asks, and the girl nods, following after him.

Once at the mall, Sehun feels embarrassed walking in the mall with Eunhui, so he intentionally walks at a faster pace, while she continues to hobble through at her calm pace.

"I already got the tickets, let's just go." Sehun tells her, before she gets to ask him what movie they're watching.

Once the trailers are done showing, Sehun tries to hide his smirk when the Joker logo is shown on the screen, but surprisingly Eunhui remains calm. In fact, he's the one who ends up jumping at the terrifying scenes, and sticking to Eunhui by the time the post credits are rolling.

"Weren't you scared watching the movie?" Sehun questions, on their walk back to the car.

"Not really. It did keep me on my seat, but I don't think it was scary." She tells him.

"You're scary." Sehun mumbles, causing the girl to chuckle.

"When you've faced real life horrors, things like this don't really have much effect on you." She confuses the male, leaving him behind.

Sehun brushes the comment off, subtly glancing around and giving a thumbs up when he sees his friends hiding behind a pillar.


"I know you can't walk, but the Han river during Sunset should not be missed." Sehun says, parking at the Han River.

She follows after him, without much of a complaint. They walk in silence, until Sehun breaks the silence and asks her about her opinion on the movie.

He remembers their advice, when he notices them follow after them.

"Say a bad joke, and if she laughs she's interested in you."

Taking his Baekhyun hyung's advice, he makes a terrible joke and smirks at the sound of laughter from the female next to him.

 Eunhui wheezes, following Sehun to sit at the bench.


"She's interested. Even I wouldn't laugh at that joke." Chanyeol jokes, meeting Sehun close to the restroom. The younger lied to his date and is meeting up with his friends.

"I agree, but dude she's really a nerd. I thought the picture wasn't that bad, but she's ugh. I won't want to marry someone like her." Baekhyun gags, causing Sehun to nod his head.

"See, this is why she can't stay. We have to get rid of her."

"We will." Baekhyun assures him, before pushing Sehun towards his car.

"She wasn't laughing at his jokes." Tao says, as soon as Sehun is out of sight.

"What?"

"Look." He pulls out his phone and shows them the video, while Sehun is talking Eunhui looks distracted with two kids playing with Evee and Jigglypuff stuffed toys, when Sehun makes the jokes, Jigglypuff is being punched repeatedly by Evee, which causes Eunhui to chuckle.

"Oh."

"But that doesn't mean she's not interested?" Jongin says,

"Women have this unspoken rule, if they're ever watching a thriller or horror, you always act scared to get their partners to hold them. It's basic knowledge, I'm sure someone like the nerd knows as well. But not once did Eunhui even look at Sehun through the movie, not even when he was clinging onto her. She looked indifferent with his behavior, almost like she didn't even care about Sehun." Tao breaks it down for them.

"I don't think that how it works Taozi. I'm still sure Eunhui likes our youngest, she's just trying to play hard to get." Baekhyun puts the panda in a headlock and drags them to their cars.


For the remainder of their free days, Sehun takes Eunhui on short dates. Through the dates, Sehun realizes Eunhui and him have contrasting personalities.

They're almost like night and day.

While Sehun considers himself a night owl, Eunhui is an early bird.

Sehun is a dog person, but Eunhui prefers cats.

Sehun loves Summer, but Eunhui looks forward to Winter.

They're complete opposites regarding so many things, the small similarities don't seem enough. Sehun chalks up these reason for why Plucking the Thorn must continue until he's gotten rid of the thorn Lee Eunhui.