Chapter 20.

Until It's Gone

"What kind of family would we be, if we don't put our children's happiness first?" An unfamiliar voice interrupts.

As soon as they lay eyes on the crying trio, the two middle-aged women head straight for them.

"Evalyn." Eunhui looks up, more tears filling her eyes at the sight of the crying women.

"Mommy," She sobs, Jongdae backs off, allowing his aunt to take his place, while his mother hugs him.

"We can try to push through with the business alliance, however the marriage is absolutely not happening." One of the two middle-aged male states, looking at him clearly, one can see the resemblance between the two dimpled siblings, while the other male shares Jia and Jongdae's recognizable high cheekbones.

"I'm sorry, but it seems as if we're entirely clueless on what's going on?" Mr. Oh states, eyeing the teary reunion.

"That was the mistake. If we try to fault someone, we wouldn't be able to come to a decision." The other elder states, "However, after finding out the troubles my grand-daughter has faced, I refuse to allow this alliance."

"Yifei, It hasn't even been a year yet." Grandpa Oh states,

Yifei looks quite done with his friend, "I'm quite disappointed in you, Donghoon. I'm not sure if you choose to remain oblivious to my child's pain or if you truly trust yours do no wrong. However, it's not my place to inform you of their misdeeds, it's your duty to get the truth yourself. Though I am responsible for my daughter's happiness and I am sure it can never be with your grandson." The old man finishes,

"I'm sorry, but what do you mean by year?" Yixing asks,

"After seeing the battle Hui put up, not wanting to go through with this alliance, I talked to Donghoon and we compromised. A year after Eunhui arrived in Seoul, we would have asked both children, if they wanted to go through with this wedding, however if either of them refused it would be the end of it. No convincing anyone, with the business alliance not being affected." Yifei reveals, surprising almost everyone in the room, as they were completely unaware of the added clause.

"Why didn't you tell us?" His grandson asks, angry at the elder for keeping something of importance from him.

"We didn't want you kids to know. We wanted them to take the time to know each other and see if they would be compatible, but alas as you can see." Grandpa Oh sighs, taking the seat as his wife and children turn to him.

"Is that why you insisted on sending her to Seoul as soon as possible?" Eunhui's mother asks,

"Unfortunately." The elder shakes his head, eyes watching his granddaughter.

"Evalyn, Evalyn." Yixing calls, shaking his sister, but the girl seems to have passed out. Minseok is the first to get to her, carrying her out of the room with her mother and aunt quickly following behind her.

"You should go with them Yibo." Yifei nods at his son, the male hurries behind his family.

"I am not trying to blame you, however, your offspring have hurt my child and I do not take that lightly. My Evalyn is the sweetest and most caring person, who spread joy where ever she went, she was always looking forward to tomorrow but today she's broken because of my mistake, she finds it difficult living past today. I was wrong to let you push through with your alliance for your son, when I knew my child refused. I was wrong to trust you, when you promised to protect my granddaughter. I was wrong to not have her protected myself. However, I'm rectifying my mistakes by cutting off all contact with your family. I tried to fulfill my duty as a friend and let you attempt to use my precious child as a means to bring your grandson on track, however I've paid a heavy price for it." Yifei states, Jia is shocked hearing her grandfather, but she agrees with him. The only Oh, she's willing to talk to is Suhyun and that's only because they grew up together.

"Zhang." Grandpa Oh starts,

"Once you're informed about your grandchildren's crimes, come to me. If you can look me in the eye without an ounce of shame or guilt, we'll talk then. However at the moment, I'm afraid this is where our acquaintances end." Yifei states, before him and his wife are walking out with Jia, her father and Luhan to check up on Evalyn.

Tao, Sooyoung, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Jongin and their plus ones are discreetly escorted out of the room, leaving behind members of the Oh family, Kyungsoo as Eunsun refuses to let go of his arm, Junmyeon and Taehyung choosing to stay to support Suhyun. (Taehyung also wants to make sure the Oh siblings don't twist their words, can you blame him for not trusting the spoiled brats?)

"What did you do?" Grandpa Oh asks, defeated, plopping on the sofa as his longest friendship has ruthlessly been cut-off.

"I'm so sorry Grandpa. I didn't mean for things to end in this manner. It's all my fault." Sehun cries, ashamed to even look at their faces.

"What exactly is going on?" Mr. Oh yells, terrified of the answer, seeing the anger the members of the Zhang family held for his daughter and youngest son.

Sehun hangs his head low narrating everything to the elders, starting from the moment he heard about the arrangement, to the plan, to the constant bullying and belittling, Minji and how it escalated to physical harm. He cries, hearing the reactions from his family and for once he's truly ashamed about his actions.

He doesn't dare to look up once he's finished informing them about his trail, afraid of seeing the disappointment. He doesn't expect their reaction as the four elders are unable to look at either of their children and choose to silently walk out the room. The Oh children have never seen their elders look that hurt before and the realization hurts them much harder than they thought.

"Wow. Listening to you, it almost sounds like you cared for her, but you were too afraid to look past your reservations about this arrangement." Taehyung mocks,

"It's because he does." Eunsun defends her brother,

Dramatically gasping, Taehyung puts a hand to his chest, "Seriously." He scoffs, glaring at the two Oh's. "I find it hard to believe, and I'm sure everyone else does to." The male rolls his eyes,

"Taehyung." Junmyeon tries to diffuse his cousin's anger,

"SuHyung, you know I respect you a lot, which is why I'm going to say this in the nicest terms possible. Sehun Oh, Stay the fu*k away from my Evalyn. You have some audacity begging her to give you another chance. The next time you so much as look at her, I will hurt you." Taehyung spits, before stomping out the room.

"I agree with him as well. Stay away from Evalyn and learn from your immature mistakes." Junmyeon sighs, looking over his taller friend, but the male is lost for words.

"You're my siblings and I was always proud of you guys, but I guess I never really knew your true faces. You've disappointed our whole family and your actions have led to the breaking off our grandfather's oldest friendship and you have put a reasonably large strain on mine. I told you before my friendship with them is older than the both of you and yet you didn't have the decency to respect that. No matter how many times I asked you to leave Evalyn alone, you neglected my words and went after her. You might be my siblings, but Evalyn has always been more of a family for me then the two of you. I'm extremely disappointed with the both of you and I really don't want to see your faces anytime soon." Suhyun walks out of the room, leaving his siblings to look for his elders, Junmyeon hurries after him, leaving Eunsun sobbing in her boyfriend's chest, while Sehun is blankly staring off.


"Did you know about this?" Grandma Oh asks Suhyun, the minute her oldest grandchild enters the room.

"I did. I'm sorry for not stopping it sooner." Suhyun apologizes head hung low.

"I thought Sehun was starting to like her." Mr. Oh sighs, rubbing at his temples,

"He is. I know my son, he loves her." Mrs. Oh says,

"No. No, he doesn't. No one treats the person they care, the way Sehun has treated Eunhui. I don't care how many times he apologizes, that trauma is going to stick to her for a long time." Suhyun heatedly states,

"But what about your brother? Sehun loves Eunhui. I know what he did is horrible, but for the first time Sehun is willing to bend down for someone else." Mrs.Oh desperately states,

"What part of he fu*king tortured her, don't you understand. Mom, Eunsun and him literally pushed her until she was willing to stand on a bridge to kill herself. Evalyn has been hurt more times in the last year, than her entire life combined. Don't tell me you didn't see her struggle. She was barely smiling before Jongdae, Jun and I got there and yet you choose to ignore it." Suhyun yells, startling the elders, as this is the first time their oldest son has ever raised his voice at them.

Before they can say another word, a loud sound stops them before they hear thundering footsteps leading away. 


"I want her medical reports." Evanlyn's father orders, entering the room once again heading straight to sit himself next to his daughter.

"Dad?" Yixing asks, noting the unrestrained anger in his dad's eyes.

"I want all her medical reports from the moment she stepped in Seoul. I don't care if it's for something as little as a fu*king scratch." Yibo yells,

"Honey." His wife asks worried, looking over at her husband.

Her husband squeezes her hand, before looking at the male standing in the corner of the room, "Minseok." The elder gives him look, the younger nods before leaving the room. 

"I'm saying this only once, We will not be using any of our children for any business alliances or anything of that nature." Yibo sternly states, just as Taehyung walks into the room with Junmyeon and an unfamiliar older male.

"The doctor is here." Taehyung announces, taking a seat beside Evalyn's mother.

Minseok returns with the file just as the doctor is done checking the unconscious patient.


"I need the truth." Mr. Zhang looks to Taehyung for answers, as everyone is settling in the room near Evalyn's.

Taehyung starts by explaining how on the first day of classes she became a target of that certain professor because someone who they now know was Sehun and his friends pulled a prank on her by stuffing frogs in her backpack and over the months, they weren't pranks but rather bullying targeted specifically towards Evalyn. Junmyeon and Jongdae overheard a conversation between Taehyung and Evalyn, which is why Jongdae decided to go to Seoul himself, because he knew Evalyn wouldn't want to involve others. 

Jongdae takes over explaining from here, continuing with the name calling and the gradual transition from harmless 'pranks' to verbal and physical bullying. He tells them about her going over to his place in the middle of the night as Sehun had abandoned her at the park. He tells them about Minji and how she was the catalyst that Sehun needed to justify his bullying as he believed the presence of Eunhui was an obstacle for his relationship with Minji. By the time Jongdae is retelling the incidents of the day he found his cousin on the bridge, Mr. Zhang looks ready to go kill Sehun himself. Jongdae barely manages to tell them about the night of the kidnap.

Grandpa Zhang reveals that he was the one to pick up Evalyn's phone call. He didn't know what was going on, but he knew she needed help.

Taeyoung finishes by informing them about Evalyn's almost successful attempt.

"She's also been having nightmares. She's woken up screaming three times since we've been here." Nayoung adds, as she's been sleeping with Evalyn through the duration of the trip. 

"Excuse me." Grandpa Zhang leaves the room, barely managing to conceal his tears.

"We've already reported Sehun, Jongin, and Eunsun to the university. The three will have a disciplinary hearing, first thing after Spring break." Minseok adds,

"Would-" 

"STOP"

Yixing is out the room before some of them are on their feet.

Evalyn is cowering on the bed, trying to move away from the dark figure as Yixing forgot to turn the lights on, running into the room.

"Evalyn, it's me" Yixing calmly states,

"Don't come close to me." The girl cries, scooting as back as she can.

"Twinkle, It's me." Yixing says, just as Taeyoung flips the lights on.

"E, you're safe, now." Jongdae says, stepping behind Yixing. 

"NO. NO I'm not. HE was just here. here, he was here." Evalyn mumbles as she keeps scratching at her neck.

"Evalyn. He's not here. You're safe. I promise you're safe here. You know I'll never lie to you." Minseok steps up, reaching a hand out to her, though she just keeps looking at it.

"He's not here, baby. I promise, no one is going to hurt you here, my love." He adds,

"Love? How can you love someone so dirty?" Evalyn scoffs, wincing as she manages to break skin from the incessant scratching.

"Evalyn" Yixing yells, seeing the red trail down her arm, though his sister doesn't seem to care as she continues hurting herself.

Minseok grabs a hold of her hands, while bringing her into his arms. "You're safe right now. No one's going to hurt you here. I promise baby. No one."

"L-l-leave. Y-you need to leave me. I'm b-b-broken." Eunhui mumbles, as she stops fighting against Minseok's hold. "You n-need someone not broken. You should love someone else." Her words contradict her actions though, as she tightly clutches onto him.

"I loved you, I love you and I will continue loving you, no matter what happens. I promised you and I don't intend on breaking it." Minseok says, kissing her forehead, trying to soothe her back to sleep.

The elders are helpless watching the scene unfold. Nayoung returns with the first-aid box and getting started on cleaning and dressing the wounds, while Taehyung uses a wet cloth to clean Evalyn's hands.

"Is it always like this?" Jongdae's mother whispers, looking at her niece.

"She didn't try to hurt herself before." Nayoung tells them, 

"She did, at the hospital. After her first attempt, the staff made sure to keep anything she could use out of reach, which is when she started the scratching. This trip was supposed to be a stress-free vacation, but I don't know which idiot decided to invite that pathetic coward and his equally pathetic friends." Taeyoung grumbles,

"I was that idiot. As you know, I was unaware of the 'pathetic coward' or his actions, I assumed that because Eunhui had yet to complain, it meant she was getting along just wonderful, which is why I thought to let Yixing and them get to know who I assumed were Eunhui's friends and to-be fiancee." Grandpa Zhang admits, though Taeyoung only looks mildly apologetic for calling the elder idiotic.

"That idiot made us promise not to say a word to the elders, because she was afraid of letting things affect your friendship with the Oh elder. She also didn't want to tell others, in the chance of Minseok deciding to use his influence and have Bonnie and Clyde expelled." Taeyoung clears his throat, nodding at Grandpa Zhang.

Minseok gently lays Evalyn back down, letting her mother take over his spot as he quietly and quickly exits the room.

"I'll go talk to him." The dimpled male sighs, rubbing at his eyes as he hurries to follow after Minseok.