Chapter 3

Until It's Gone

"Where's Eunhui?" Sehun asks, not seeing the former at her regular spot at the dining table.

"She had an early meeting with her advisor." Eunsun answers, the male can't stop rolling his eyes at the nerd for ruining his plans.

"Seriously, why didn't she tell me . We need to change our whole plan." Sehun whines, Eunsun shrugs as they head to their cars.

"Don't worry, I checked her schedule and she has free time with us." Sun tells him. Sehun quickly texts his friends to inform them of the plan change.


"Hi, Are you a new student?" A cheery voice asks, the owner of the voice takes the seat beside hers and starts pulling her material out.

"Lee Eunhui. I just transferred here." She introduces, readjusting her glasses.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Min Sooyoung. I'm the student ambassador for International Business and I take my role extremely serious. Which is why I make it my duty to know everyone in the program. We might be competitive at times, but at the end we're quite a team." The girl looks as if she's walked straight out of a business magazine. She's dressed in a black skirt and a mustard yellow blouse, her long hair is pulled up into a ponytail, while Eunhui barely forced herself into jeans, T-shirt and hoodie. She spend an hour trying to get her hair in a ponytail, but it still looks like a bird's nest.

"That's nice. It's amazing you're able to remember so many people." Eunhui says, staring at the girl with awe.

"It's not a big deal. However, consider me as your friend from now on. Don't ever hesitate to ever ask for anything." Sooyoung smiles and Eunhui shyly accepts the friendship.

The professor begins lecture cutting off any more conversation.

Their two hour lecture slowly comes to an end and Eunhui notices everyone waving to Sooyoung as they leave the auditorium.

"You really are popular." Eunhui comments,

"What's the point of being popular, when no one really cares about me, but who I'm dating." Sooyoung sighs,

"I don't really care. Heck, I don't even know who you're dating." Eunhui shrugs, she frowns reading the text on her phone.

"What's wrong?" Sooyoung notices the change in expression.

"I'm meeting someone at the cafe, but there's no specific name." She pouts, Sooyoung chuckles at the adorable look on her face.

"They most likely mean the one close to the library. No one knows the name, we just call it the cafe. I'm heading over there myself, we can walk together." Sooyoung offers and Eunhui gladly accepts.

"I'm going to assume you're a senior, Why would you transfer for the last year?" Sooyoung asks,

"It's complicated." Eunhui sighs,

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want." Sooyoung assures her, and starts pointing out the different buildings and places on their 10 minute walk to the cafe.


"Sooyoung." Chanyeol smiles, seeing his girlfriend through the windows of the cafe.

"Why is she hanging out with the nerd?" Sehun asks, noticing the two females walk in.

"She looks different without the huge casts. Without the hair all over her face, she actually looks pretty." Baekhyun comments, checking said girl out.

"No, she doesn't. Just go Tao." Sehun kicks Baekhyun under the table.

"Ask Sooyoung to stay away from nerd." Jongin warns Chanyeol.

Everyone quiets down as Tao pretends to hurry out the door and 'accidentally' bump into Eunhui, spilling his burning hot coffee on her.

"What the fu*k" Eunhui exclaims, hurriedly pulling her hoodie over her head, thankfully the liquid didn't make it past the thick hoodie.

"Let's head over to the bathroom first and clean up." Sooyoung pulls the girl to bathroom, while Tao looks at the group for further instructions.

"Stop Sooyoung." Sehun hisses pushing Chanyeol out of his stupor, the giant runs to catch up to his girlfriend, but he's too late when he sees the door to the bathroom closed.

"Too late." Chanyeol mumbles, while a confused Tao returns to his seat. The waiter on duty is giving them an evil eye, trying to clean the mess up from the entrance.

"Tao, what were you thinking?" Sooyoung scolds, Eunhui close behind her, in a Columbia University T-shirt. 

"You speak Mandarin?" Tao chooses to ignore Sooyoung and turns to Eunhui, who looks shocked herself.

"Kind of required when you stay there." Eunhui informs him, thankfully the coffee didn't make it to her T-shirt or she would have made him run to the closest store to buy her something to wear. 

"I'm also from China." Tao exclaims, pulling her to sit next to him, he starts conversing her and ignoring the incredulous looks on his friend's face.

A clearing of a throat catches their attention. "It's time to head over to class." Sooyoung chuckles, watching the two look over the group with a dazed expression. Sehun won't admit but he found nerd adorable at that moment, but that thought is quickly erased.

"Speaking of class, why were you not in class this morning?" Sooyoung playfully glares at the male beside Eunhui.

"You're majoring in International Business?" Eunhui looks elated at the thought and Tao confirms with a quick nod, trying to erase the horrible memories from that morning.


Tao, Sooyoung and Eunhui are happily chatting on their way to class, while Baekhyun, Sehun, Chanyeol and Jongin are discreetly following after the three.

The non-majors manage to sneak into the auditorium and grab seats all the way in the back, hiding them from the professor, but also giving them a view of everyone else in the room.

All chatter stops once the professor enters the room, everyone has heard of Professor Kang, one of the strictest and meanest professor on campus. His credentials make up for his awful behavior. Even though there's 30 minutes left for lecture to start, Professor Kang begins handing out the syllabus. Eunhui hurries to get her things out.

"Ribbit. Ribbit." Eunhui jumps away from her backpack, as a frog jumps out of it, followed by another. There's a total of 5 frogs jumping around the room and half the students are screaming and just chaos. Sehun and his friends are barely holding their laughter, watching Kang scold Eunhui to gather the frogs. With the help of some of the other students, the room is frog free in 15 minutes.

"This behavior is not tolerable in my class. I expect a paper on proper classroom etiquette before 8 am tomorrow." Kang yells at Eunhui. Sooyoung looks as if she's about to fight Kang on it, but Eunhui holds her back.

"Why didn't you let me say anything? You and i both know, you didn't put those frogs in your bag. Someone obviously pulled a prank you." Sooyoung scolds the girl, but she can only shrug. She has to give to the taller for holding her anger in for their nearly two hour lecture.

"Kang didn't look like someone you talk back to. It's bad I have to write a paper, I didn't want you to get into trouble because of me." Eunhui tells her and the girl looks close to tears at the statement.

"You're really sweet." Sooyoung tightly hugs Eunhui.

"Sooyoung. Don't cry, imagine the foundation streaks that'll be running down your face. You can't cry." Tao consoles her, causing the two women to laugh.

"I wasn't going to cry." Sooyoung hits his shoulder,


"They what? Frogs in her backpack." Eunhui's best friend laughs retelling their friends the incident. 

"She's pissed. She was complaining about the poor frogs having to be confined in her tiny backpack for a long time." He wheezes out, causing their other friends to join in the laughter.

"What's so funny?" The group turns to see two males at the door. One is dressed in the hospital gown, while the other is dressed for work.

"Someone crammed frogs in E's backpack. She's more worried about the frogs suffocating." The male lounging on the couch summarizes for the two.

"They what?" Eunhui's brother doesn't look happy,

"Sir." A young male runs into the run, Ipad tightly clutched into his hands. He holds the screen for everyone to watch.

"Send her another backpack and connect me to the IT Team." The male in the hospital gown orders his secretary, before limping off to the en suite.

"Check up on this." Eunhui's brother orders his secretary, both the males bow before they hurry out of the hospital room.


"I heard about what happened in class, are you okay?" Eunsun worriedly asks Eunhui, when the three International business students join the group at their regular hangout spot in the lounge at the end of their tiring first day.

"How?" The three students ask and Jongin shows them the video currently trending on their university community page, the video is taken from the minute the first frog jumps out and it catches Eunhui's hilarious jump with variety style headlines, and the video ends with a furious Kang assigning Eunhui the extra essay.

"It's been shared over half a million times since it was posted hours ago." Jongin laughs, watching the video again.

"Where did you get the frogs?" Baekhyun asks,

"It wasn't Eunhui. Someone is clearing trying to frame her." Sooyung defends her new friend.

The video suddenly stops playing and Jongin refreshes the tab, but an error warning pops up. He tries to find the video from the university website, but it's not there.

He shows Baekhyun the error sign and the boy quickly pulls out his laptop, but it won't turn on. He tries connecting it to the adapter and sighs when the logo appears, but his happiness is short lived when he signs in and looks for the video, only to find it missing along with the hidden folder of his private videos.

"It's not here, neither is my hidden folder." Baekhyun whispers to Jongin.

"It seems as if the university took the video down." Sooyoung cheers,

"I'm leaving. I need to get started on the paper for Kang." Eunhui sighs,

"Do you want me to come with you?" Sooyoung asks,

"No. I'll manage." Eunhui rejects the offer,

"I'll see you tomorrow." Sooyoung tells the spectacled girl, who can only nod back.

"How do you know Eunhui?" Sooyoung asks as soon as she's out of view.

"I don't, Eunsun knows her." Sehun lies.

"She's a distant family friend." Eunsun saves her brother. Sooyoung doesn't  believe them, but she let's the matter go.


"Hey." Sehun, once again startles Eunhui as she's hurrying out of her room at 7am. Her hair all over her face, looking more untamed than usual.

Sehun tries to hide his frown, but Eunhui manages to catch it. "I washed it last night and I forgot to blow dry it." She tells him, speed walking downstairs.

"It's not even been a month since classes started, how are you so busy already?" Sehun acts worried, she gives him a sigh hurrying to the kitchen and grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl and snagging a yogurt from the fridge.

"Professor Kang asked me to turn in his latest punishment assignment in person. I need to print it and turn it to his mailbox before his 8 am lecture." She groans, barely waving a hand his direction, before she's running out the front door.

"Aww, how sad." Sehun smirks, watching the nerd speed out of his driveway.


"Lee Eunhui." Kang calls as soon as Sooyoung, Eunhui and Tao walk into the lecture hall.

"What is the meaning of this?" Kang yells, pointing to the graffiti on the teacher's desk. There's weird drawings on the desk, however at a closer look each drawing is in reference to the punishment assignments Eunhui has been given the last month.

Eunhui sighs, looking at the mess knowing she's once again going to have to stay up to write another useless essay.

"I've had enough, meet me in my office after class." Kang glares at her, before sending the three to their seats.

"Who the is doing this? And Why?" Eunhui plops her head on her desk, Sooyoung and Tao give her a pat on the back, just as Kang once again starts lecture 10 minutes before scheduled time.


"Why don't you defend yourself. It's not like you're the one actually doing this." Sooyoung asks, clearing upset with the other for not standing up for herself.

"What's the point? It'll just create unnecessarily attention." Eunhui reasons,

"But if Kang goes to the university, we can tell them the truth and they'll investigate properly." Sooyoung defends,

Eunhui looks slightly uncomfortable with the idea of the university stepping in, "Please don't make it a bigger issue than it it." 

"It doesn't look like your bullies are afraid of making it a bigger issue." Sooyoung fumes,

"Honestly, I'm more afraid of what will happen if they're caught." Eunhui mumbles, before quickly switching the topic to their upcoming exam in another class.


 "Listen to Sooyoung and go to the higher ups. This keeps getting worse each day." Her best friend scolds, but the girl can only sigh as she gets started on another useless paper.

"You know why I can't. I'm fine right now and I really don't want to complicate things more than they are." Eunhui sighs,

"E, these are not jokes anymore. You're being bullied by pathetic cowards, hiding their true identities." Her best friend sounds pissed, and with good reason.

"T, you know why I'm not doing anything. I promise I'll look after myself." She tells him, but the male huffs.

"If, sorry, When either of our ge's find out about this, you're going to be facing the fire." He tells her.

"I know."

"Will I be seeing you in three weeks?" Her best friend asks.

She shakes her head, "I'm spending the holidays with the other side of the fam."

"Oh, I'll see you next time I'm in town. And I'll try to hide these incidents for now. Miss me loads." He hangs up, leaning to rest his forehead against the floor length glass windows. 

"What are you going to hide?" The male jumps, turning away from the city view to the two men standing at the door. One of them is his cousin and the other his best friend's cousin, but they're both equally terrifying when they want to be.

"What's young master Kim hiding for his best friend now?" His cousin asks, while the female's cousin wraps his arm around the younger's neck.

The youngest ends up spilling his guts and he's scared of the looks the men sport as they hurry out of his office, thankfully they head for the elevators rather than the north wing of the floor.

He sighs, before sending his best friend a quick text to catch her up on things.


"Where are Tao and Eunhui?" Baekhyun asks, when only Sooyoung joins them for lunch.

"Tao needed help with his midterm project, and since Eunhui already submitted hers, she agreed to help him." Sooyoung slumps against her boyfriends shoulders.

"Three more days before Chuseok." Chanyeol tries to cheer her up, but his girlfriend can only groan.

"Don't remind me, we have a presentation in Kang's class." Sooyoung whines, her boyfriend quickly hands her the coffee he got for her and tries to calm her down.


"Eunhui." Sooyoung yells, Sehun and friends are walking back from class, but they stop to watch Chanyeol's girl run to the nerd and pull her in for a tight hug.

They see Sooyoung ranting, but the shorter simply smiles and pulls out a USB flash drive, from the tiny pocket on the side of her backpack, and show it to Sooyoung. The tall girl quickly calms down, and smiles as Eunhui returns the flash drive back to it's spot. Sooyoung loops her arm with Eunhui and the two happily walk to the cafe.

Sehun turns to give his friends an evil smirk. "No. I'm not involving Sooyoung. She'll kill me." Chanyeol whines, recognizing the evil glint.

"How about just when their class is about to end, you run in and hand Sooyoung the drive and lie about seeing Eunhui throw it or make some sh*t up. You can be her knight in shining armor and this will cause Sooyoung to lose trust in Eunhui." Baekhyun throws and arm around the giant's shoulders and pulls him head down to try and coax him.

"I don't like this. It feels wrong playing with her academics, I mean harmless pranks are fine, but intentionally setting her up for failure." Chanyeol scratches the back of his head and the three friends groan at the moral philosophy minor.

"We'll return it just in time and lie to Kang and say Eunhui mistakenly forgot it and than you can tell Sooyoung the 'truth'." Baekhyun assures Chanyeol and though the taller has difficultly with the plan, Sehun couldn't care less. Chanyeol was warned to keep Sooyoung away from nerd, his fault for not listening.


According to Sehun's plan, Baekhyun manages to rope Eunhui in a conversation, while Chanyeol drags Sooyoung to the counter with the excuse of being unable to decide what to get, while Sehun and Jongin get the USB out of her bag. 

The plan goes without a hitch and in less than five minutes Sehun is proudly holding onto the flash drive and texting the others about the successful mission.

The hard part is for them to keep both the females distracted to not check Eunhui's bag and to ensure they don't, Sehun insists on walking the two all the way to their class.

As they're nearing the lecture, they notice Tao pacing outside the door and seeing his friends, he runs to them with an excited face.

"You won't believe this. Professor Eo had to start her maternity leave early, she actually went into labor during class, but she won't be coming back the rest of the term. Her substitute is a recent grad from Brandeis, with a Doctoral Degree in International Economics and Finance." Tao excitedly jumps.

"It's not like we're seeing him until after the holidays." Sooyoung states, but that only causes the boy to bounce more.

"He's already here. I heard him talking to Kang about sitting in on the presentations, he's thinking off choosing someone from our class as TA's." Tao chirps.

Sooyoung and Eunhui share a nervous glance looking at the lecture hall, and glare at the excited male with envy. Tao and his partner were able to present last class period, while the ladies were stuck with the worst time slot. 

"Let's go." Tao pulls the two nervous bundles after Chanyeol kisses his girlfriend.

Sehun smirks watching the trio head off to the auditorium.

"Good bye, Lee Eunhui."