Chapter 19

Until It's Gone

"February 21st."

"Evalyn." A whisper, before she's shaking her head, wiping at the tears streaming down her face.

"You don't understand and honestly I wouldn't want you to. But please realize that day used to be one of the happiest days in my life. That date has always bought me so much happiness and for the first time in over a decade, I didn't wake up smiling. I was already used as the punching bag in class by that man, then the cafe incident just pushed me further. Everywhere I went, it felt like people were eyeing me and somehow I ended up on that bridge. I didn't want to jump but I felt like that was my only option. I couldn't see my light. I felt alone, helpless and just so dirty. I felt so unwanted and in that moment. I felt like a fu*king burden to the family. I kept thinking of myself as a burden, I had to be if my own family was quick to ship me off without even caring about me. I didn't want to open my eyes ever again. And had Jongdae not been there, I know I would have jumped. There are moments when I still regret not jumping, every time someone abandoned something to rush over to me, I felt like a burden. Those moments, I wish I had been brave enough and just stepped off. When I woke up at the hospital, I tried again, which is why we're all gathered here, right now. Right Taeyoung?" Eunhui breaks down, Minseok is quick to pull her in his arms,

"I barely managed, though. If I had gotten there even a second later." Taeyoung shudders, condescendingly smiling to himself as he recalls waking up in the middle of the night to the empty hospital bed with a small note that had a simple good bye on it. He remembers running up the stairs followed by a few nurses, he remembers seeing his cousin glance at him with teary eyes, remembers yelling at her to stop, he remembers her sad smile as she said good bye, he thanks all the higher powers for reaching her on time and managing to grab a hold of her arm. He remembers her struggling as she kept begging him to let her go. He remembers her yelling at him for pulling her up, he's thankful for the nurse that grabbed a sedative on her way up. However, he's most thankful for the fact he woke up on time. He knows if he had woken up even a second later, his favorite cousin wouldn't be with them today.

"You're not a burden, nor will you ever be one. Like I said before, from now on, I could care less about others, your happiness is what matters most." Yixing sternly states, through his red eyes, he tries his hardest to smile assuring at his little sister.

"I think we need to have a serious talk. What Sehun and his friends did is horrible, and we can all agree they need to punished for their crimes. We can talk about that later, right now they need time for themselves." Luhan suggests, as Eunhui is still sobbing her eyes out.


The next morning, the Seoulites are wary as they sit for breakfast.

"Did you seriously do that?" Sooyoung is unable to hide the anger in her tone as she glares at Sehun and Eunsun.

Their silence is the answer Sooyoung needs, before she throws her orange juice right at Eunsun, while Sehun gets Chanyeol's coffee dripping over him. 

"I knew Chanyeol and Tao were on something when they suggested you might have feelings for E. People don't even treat their enemies in the manner you've bullied Eunhui. At your trial, I'll be the first to stand as witness against all you bullying as*holes." Sooyoung sneers, pushing her plate away, and standing up.

"Jongin, you're a fu*cking loser, Eunhui had never even spoken a word to either of you, when you choose to make her life her hell just for the fun of it. Baekhyun understood his mistakes and worked hard on earning Eunhui's forgiveness, but you two sorry excuses of males have such a fragile ego, you're both unable to realize how pathetic you behave. And you, Eunsun. I have no words for you other than the fact you are truly a disgrace as a woman and a person in general." She spits, turning around, only to stop at the sight of the people standing at the threshold, eyebrows raised with small smiles on their faces.

"I knew there was a reason I liked you." Jia smirks, pushing the others to walk into the dining room.

The others slowly enter, as Sooyoung awkward just stands behind her previous seat, only to move at the sight of Eunhui walking into the work with Nayoung and Yixing.

"E." Sooyoung hesitates, standing in front of the shorter girl, but Eunhui nods with a small smile, before Sooyoung is latched onto her tightly.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not doing anything. I'm so sorry." The taller sobs, 

Eunhui chuckles, patting her back, "Not doing anything? Sooyoung, you did so much for me. You were literally my personal bodyguard, always protecting me and doing your best to make sure I was okay. Because you were with me, no one dared say anything to my face. Had it not been for Tao and you, I would really have been lonely. Don't you ever blame yourself or even try to apologize for things that were never your fault." Eunhui sternly states, feeling extremely thankful for having Sooyoung, "I mean, if you weren't dating Chanyeol, I'm sure he would not have become a friend and he would have just watched from the sidelines, rather than actively trying to stop his friends from hurting me. And of course the same goes for Tao." Eunhui tries to joke, wanting to lighten up the room.

"I knew it. You're just like others, befriending me because I was dating The Park Chanyeol." Sooyoung pouts, causing the shorter to chuckle,

"Well duh. Why else would I want to be friends with you?" Eunhui plays along. 

The brunch is quite awkward with Sooyung and Eunhui chatting away as everyone else is still trying to wrap their heads around what they've learned. The Seoul group is thankfully spared from the hateful glares and comments, when the others leave after Eunhui has excused herself for a nap.


"I just got an email." Jongin informs his friends, quickly reading over the notice requesting his presence at once, after Spring break ends.

"So did I." Eunsun gulps, reading over the contents. They don't even have to ask Sehun as the male nods his head, once his sister turns to him.

They quickly turn to Baekhyun, but the male shakes his head, refreshing his email a couple of times, though the lack of notice remains after several attempts.

"I'm so sorry." Baekhyun apologizes,

Sehun scoffs, "Why are you saying sorry. You actually had common sense and realized your mistakes before they were pointed out to you. If anyone should be saying sorry, it should be me. I'm the reason you guys were dragged into this mess."

"Mess? What mess." Sehun looks scared, seeing his family walk into the living room with Auntie Jang.

"What are you guys doing here?" Eunsun asks, terrified at the thought of informing the family about their disciplinary hearing.

"We're here to surprise you, of course. Where's Suhyun and Eunhui?" Mrs. Oh asks, looking around the room.

"Master Oh is currently not here, and Fourth Young Miss is resting." Auntie Jang politely informs them, instructing the maids to bring snacks for the newly arrived guests.

"Oh. Do you know when Suhyun will be back. We tried calling him, but that boy isn't picking up or phones." Grandma Oh asks, the helper shakes her head, as she was given strict instructions to only call for an emergency.


The Oh's are just about done with their snacks when they hear incoming footsteps as Eunhui cautiously walks into the room.

"Eunhui." Mrs. Oh chirps, hurrying over to the younger to hug her, failing to see the panicked eyes, before Mrs.Oh steps away.

"You've lost so much weight." Grandma Oh worries, though Eunhui is mentally able to prepare herself as the older hugs her.

"I didn't know you would be here." Eunhui politely states, though the smiles the two ladies wear has her fearing their answers, as they quickly drag Eunhui over and have her seated right next to Sehun.

"We're here for your engagement party." Mrs. Oh cheers, failing to notice the tension between her son and Eunhui, or how every young adult freezes at the announcement.

"E-Ex-Excuse me?" Eunhui voices,

"Sehun and you are getting engaged tomorrow. Don't worry, it's going to be a small event, we're still trying to think of the best way to publicly announce it, but as you know with the scandals currently trying to be wrapped up, we have to be delicate about it." Grandpa Oh informs them.

"Excuse me, I'll just be right back." Eunhui manages to say, quickly leaving the room and walking into the closest bathroom to empty her stomach out. She's not sure how long she's stuck in there, when there's a small knock on the door, before it's being opened.

"Can I come in?"

Eunhui nods her head as Auntie Jang enters the bathroom with a cool bottle of water.

"Your siblings are on the way." Auntie Jang tells her, helping her to her feet as she pulls a clean towel from the cabinet as Eunhui brushes her teeth and washes her face.

"I can't go back out there. I can't act like everything's okay anymore." Eunhui cries, the elder softly smiles trying her best to comfort the girl she considers a grandchild.

"You don't have to. Your grandfather is not a cruel man, once he finds out about your intentions to not go further with this alliance, he will stop it. He may seem heartless, but he would do anything for his children and their happiness." The elder tries her best to reassure her.

"Promise?" Eunhui asks, Auntie Jang smiles, remembering how the girl would always say that as a means of reassurance, whether it was for something as small as being promised a piece of candy or being promised things will be okay after she lost her first pet.

"To the best of my abilities." Auntie Jang answers like she always does, and Eunhui feels a little better.

"Let's go, before they start looking for me." Eunhui warily smiles, following behind Auntie Jang.

"Eunhui, are you feeling okay?" Mrs. Oh worries, as it had been a rather long time since she excused herself.

"I'm fine." Eunhui nods, taking the armchair next to Baekhyun,  the male gives her a small smile. If the elders find it weird, they don't comment on it.

"As we were saying, you'll be engaged tomorrow and a few months later, we'll have an announcement party." Mr.Oh states.

"I'm sorry, but there will be no engagement." Eunhui breathes a sigh of relief as her brother and cousins walk into the room.

"Excuse me?" Mr.Oh asks, eyeing the newly arrived people.

"Well, there will be an engagement, just not the one you're hoping for." Jongdae clarifies, as he heads to stand beside his cousin.

"Young man, can you be clear with your words?" Grandpa Oh asks,

"In clear words, My sister will not be getting engaged to your son." Yixing states, standing with his sister.

"Eunhui, what are they saying?" Mrs. Oh turns to the shaking girl.

"Mom, Eunhui won't be getting married to Sehun." Suhyun speaks up, panting as the rest of the friends run into the room.

"What do you mean?" The elders look confused, while Eunhui is literally trying her best to not break down.

"It means, my sister will not be used as a pathetic pawn for your stupid deal." Jongdae snaps,

"Jongdae." His sister glares at him, the male is quick to apologize to the elders for his rude tone.

"Is that what you both want?" Grandpa Oh asks, pointedly staring at the couple involved.

"Can I please talk to Eunhui in private?" Sehun asks, ignoring the glares thrown at him.

"Do you honestly believe we would let you be alone with her?" Taehyung scoffs from behind the taller male, quiet enough for only Sehun to hear.

"Whatever you need to talk to her about, I'm sure you can do it here." Yixing calmly states,

Sehun gulps, nodding before he stands in front of her.

"I'm sorry for all the pain and suffering I've caused you. I know no matter how many times I apologize it will never be enough. Knowing that I'm selfishly asking you to give me this chance, to let me make it up to you." Sehun reaches out for her hand, but she wraps it around herself. The others are scoffing at his audacity to ask his victim for another chance.

"Are you ing insane? Just how shameless are you?" Jongdae spits, the elders are confused watching their son quietly take the yelling, when they know for a fact Sehun bows down to no one. Which is why they're more surprised seeing their youngest get on his knees in front of Eunhui.

"Eunhui. I am sorry, I know there's no reason for you to trust me, but I truly want to repent for my mistakes. I was foolish, childish and immature when I should have used common sense. I'm sorry for everything and I know I'm shameless but I'm begging you to just give me one more chance. I promise I won't waste it. I'm not doing this to get out of my punishment either, I'll accept whatever happens, but I also want the opportunity to make it up to you. Please Eunhui. I know I've never said or even acted like it, but I really do care for you. I don't know when it happened, but you slowly made your way into my heart and I've only just found the courage to accept my feelings for you." Sehun cries, Eunhui refuses to look at him, stunned by the revelation, because never did she think Oh Sehun would have feelings for her.

"E, you don't owe him anything. Ge promised to protect you, we're not going to break it." Jongdae tells her,

"Ge." Eunhui turns to her brother, who's watching her with sad eyes.

"I told you, I'll support you whatever decision you make." He tells her,

"Are you crazy? What choice? She's not marrying this piece of ." Jongdae states, angry as he watches his cousins,

"If I break it off, will it hurt our family?" Eunhui asks, silencing Jongdae while her brother looks unsure.

"Twinkle, no. You have to make the choice for you, not for family." Yixing is quick to assure her,

"But Ge." Eunhui cries, letting her tears flow, scanning the room, till she finds the one she's looking for, she looks at him momentarily, before quickly averting her eyes back to her feet.

"You're my only choice, If I had one. Even when I tried to suppress my feelings for you, my heart wanted you. But I'm not strong like you. I don't know how to fight anymore and I honestly don't deserve you. I think I've given up on wanting happiness anymore. Because if it's not with you, my heart will always ache. I'm sorry. But we've always been taught, Family first." Eunhui sobs, falling to her knees though her brothers are quick to cocoon her fall.

Sehun helplessly watches internally scoffing at himself, as he thinks about how he managed to Pluck the Thorn but at what cost.

"What kind of family would not put their children's happiness first?" An unfamiliar voice says, and at once the group turns to see another group walk into the room.