Helping her

Cat Quest

 

 


I cried until I couldn't breathe from exhaustion. this unrequited love, it hurts more than a breakup but how would I know? I've never been in a relationship. 

This is really hard because even if Tiffany rejected me, I still love her. I don't think that I can move on fast from this heartbreak.

But I don't regret loving Tiffany because she gives me a lot of positive emotions. It feels good.

Yeah, she hurt me because of the rejection but I'm sure it's not her intention. I'm at fault, not her.

It hurts so freaking much that all I can do is to cry. The pain becomes severe and I just want to shut myself out from the world.

But I will not do that.

I don't want Tiffany to blame herself because of my misery.

If I really want to help, I should find someone to love. It's not easy to open up my heart again but I will do it for her and for myself.

Since I have this little crush on Seolhyun, why not give her a chance? Who am I to reject her? Everyone likes her and I'm so lucky.

I'm on the rooftop, my favorite place. I'm sitting at the side of the door leaning my back on the wall. 

I'm waiting for Seolhyun. I asked her to come, I need someone to accompany me. I need a distraction from this pain. I need a friend.

Then my phone vibrated in my pocket, I took it then saw Gran was calling.

I exhaled and prepared myself then I answered it.

"Hello Gran!" I greeted giddily. Too giddy, too fake. I hope she didn't notice it.

"Taeng, how are you?"

"I'm fine Gran, just kinda busy with school stuffs." Which is not a lie. "How 'bout you?"

"Good, I'm fine too. By the way, how's the pet? How is she?"

"Ohh Tiffany? She's doing fine." I bit my lower lip.

"Do you like my gift? Is she behaving good?"

"I like Tiffany and she's doing great. She's my friend Gran," I sincerely said.

I could sense that she was nodding her head "Very well. You know I only called to know if she's doing fine"

"Ouch. You're mean Gran! You didn't miss me huh?" I playfully joked.

I heard Gran laughed "Yes I don't miss you. You take care of yourself Taeyeon. I love you."

"I love you too Gran and I miss you."

"I always miss you my baby. Gotta go now. If you need help, just call me huh? Bye."

"Bye Gran," then she hang up.

Just a quick call. Is she monitoring Tiffany's behavior? Whatever. I just shrugged it off. She was her pet after all. Maybe she misses Tiffany.

I put my phone back into my pocket. I feel a little better hearing Gran. I miss her so much.

Then suddenly the door swung opened, I turned and saw Seolhyun with her dazzling smile.

"Sorry, I'm late. I had to finish the report and pass it," she reasoned as she panted.

"It's okay. Come sit here," I tapped the floor next to me.

"Sure thanks," she sat next to me. 

She took two soda cans from her bag and placed it in front of us.

"So... what do want to do?"

"Nothing," I said.

"What?"

"Nothing. Just stay here," I put my head on her shoulder. I don't know but tears starting to fall from my eyes.

"Are you okay Taeyeon?" She asked worried.

I started to sob, I couldn't hold it back.

"Taeyeon..."

I just continued to cry on her shoulder but Seolhyun moved gingerly away from me as she wrapped her arm around my neck and her other hand was petting my head. 

She's comforting me "I know it's not okay Taeyeon because I can feel that you're hurt right now but I promise that it will be okay soon. Just let it out, I'm here for you."

I buried my face in her neck, her scent was kinda intoxicating me. 

"What happened?"

I shook my head. I can't tell her, she will be hurt as well.

"Okay... I won't force you to tell me but just remember that I'm always here for you Taeyeon."

"Thank you... Thank you Seolhyun," I muttered.

I cried and cried. 

I let it out.

And Seolhyun comforted me.

Her touch somewhat soothed me.

After a few minutes of crying, I calmed down. I feel drained though.

"I don't want to see you cry Taeyeon, it hurts me," she sadly stated.

"I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry. I feel useless because I can't help you and I can't take your pain away."

"You're already helping me," I pointed out. "I'm thankful because you are here."

"Of course, I'm your friend. What friends are for?" She smiled.

"Thank you," I gave her a half smile.

Seolhyun took the soda cans and she gave one to me.

"Let's drink. I hope it could make us drunk and forget everything," she playfully said.

"Sure," I said as I lifted the backside of the tab to open the can.

And the liquid content of it burst on me, I could feel the coldness of the liquid. It drenched my white shirt and left stains.

"Oh gosh," Seolhyun squeaked. She was surprised and I stayed calm. I didn't react much.

She took the soda can from my hand and placed it on the floor far from me.

"It's okay, I will just go to my dorm."

"You will miss our class?"

I nodded, as for now, it's not a big deal for me. I can't think much. I feel careless, I feel numb.

"I have an idea," she took off her varsity jacket then handed it to me. "Here, wear it to hide your shirt. I don't want you to miss class, I know you're taking good care of your grades."

I wanted to refuse but she insisted.

"Put it on Taeyeon."

I took the varsity jacket and saw the print on the back. S. Kim  and big number 1. It clearly belongs to Seolhyun, the captain of the swimming team of our University.

I put it on and zipped it fully up to hide my shirt. Seolhyun smiled staring lovingly at her jacket on me.

"Perfect," she said giving back the can of soda.

I took it "Thanks."

I could smell her scent more, it lingered on the jacket. I'm starting to like it, it's good.

The pain subsided because of her.

"Cheers," Seolhyun made a toast with our cans then we took a sip of our drinks. 

"This is so good..." 

I nodded "This is refreshing."

She giggled "Let's get drunk." I wish.

We finished our drinks then decided to go to our class together. We were walking in the hallway when Seolhyun excused herself to go to restroom. 

"I'll wait here Seolhyun."

She nodded "I'll be just quick," then she went into the restroom.

I looked down and played with my foot.

A loud coughed got my attention. I looked up then saw Jae Hwa and Miruku, varsity players of swimming team.

"That jacket is familiar," Miruku said glaring at me.

"It's our captain's," Jae Hwa confirmed. She's the vice captain of the team.

Jae Hwa grabbed my arm and squeezed it violently. I winced in pain, she's strong.

"Why are you wearing it? Did you steal it from our captain?" She accused.

I shook my head "No, she let me borrow it."

They laughed mockingly.

"Why would she do that? Let you borrow the jacket? Are you freaking out of your mind loser?" Miruku countered.

I stayed quiet. They wouldn't believe me so I just shut my mouth.

"Take it off!" Jae Hwa shouted making a scene.

I looked around me, people were starting to glance at us.

"I said take it off!" She grasped the jacket on my chest part and forcefully zipped it down.

"What the-!?" We heard Seolhyun yelled.

We turned to her and she looked furious.

"Don't touch Taeyeon!" Seolhyun commanded.

Jae Hwa quickly let go of me, she looked miffed but also scared.

I'm kinda used to this scene, I don't really mind it now.

"But she stole your jacket!" Miruku professed.

Seolhyun scowled and they back away. They looked like lost puppies.

"Stole my jacket huh? If she stole it, she wouldn't dare to wear it around the campus!" Seolhyun exclaimed as she gritted her teeth.

There was a moment of silence then Seolhyun loudly sighed.

"I lend my jacket to her," she added.

"S-sorry, we didn't know," Jae Hwa stuttered.

"I'm disappointed Jae Hwa, I also didn't know that you are like this low," Seolhyun retorted.

"We're really sorry Taeyeon," Jae Hwa frantically bowed her head to me few times as well as Miruku.

"It's okay," I said. It wasn't a big deal for me.

"Uh... we will go now. See you around," they excused themselves awkwardly then walked away fast.

Seolhyun stepped closer to me then she gently zipped up the jacket.

"I didn't mean to cause you trouble because of this. I'm sorry Taeyeon," she said.

"It's really okay, no worries."

Seolhyun held my cheek and caressed it "You're so kind Taeyeon that's why they abuse it."

I sadly smiled. Maybe it's true.

"But that's also the reason why I like you more, you are a kind-hearted person," she let go of my face but held my hand instead. "Let's go to our class."

I stared at our holding hands then she intertwined it, I looked up at her and she smiled widely "Let's go."

I nodded then we walked hand in hand.

Oddly, I didn't see Tiffany the rest of the day. Maybe she was with Nick somewhere. I thought.

Just great.

Couldn't be better.

 

 

 

×