Pandora’s Box

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: Bolded text are text messages,
Italics are the usual inner thoughts. 
Italics that are right spaced, those are flashbacks/memories.

Eunbi walks back to the table after cleaning her knife. It is already getting late and they should all definitely head home. “Guys, we should-”

 

Eunbi gets interrupted by an agent who comes running from another table. “Oh my god, you will not believe this.”

 

“What, Donghae? You caught a new Pokemon?” Yena nonchalantly says. This agent is known to exaggerate things.

 

“My friend just saw Chaewon at Hongdae. I think she’s on a date! With Minjoo’s friend!” Donghae turns his phone screen over and shows it to the four girls. While the picture is taken from far away, for the four girls who see the two on a regular basis that is unmistakably Chaewon and Hitomi.

 

“So that’s where she went!” Yujin exclaims as she grabs the phone to have a closer look. Yena jumps beside her. “Hiichan finally got her shot!”

 

Eunbi slowly moves closer to Minjoo. The principal is staring aimlessly at the duo who are obviously oblivious. Minjoo’s earlier moodiness comes rushing back into her system. Her gut is doing that uncomfortable thing again. Like Sakura, Minjoo suddenly gets on her two feet. “I am heading to bed too. Goodnight.” Minjoo manages to hide her expression better so the other two are not aware of Minjoo’s discomfort.

 

“Let me follow you up.” Eunbi tries but the Kim daughter is quick.

 

“Don’t worry unnie, it’s the mansion. I know my way very well around the house.”

 

Eunbi decides not to push so she watches as Minjoo leaves the staff pantry. I hope she realises her own feelings soon otherwise it will be messy. Argh, relationships are so messy. Maybe it’s good that I don’t have one. It’s sad Eunbi, you are talking to yourself. While the two girls are still heavily invested in Chaewon’s date photo, Eunbi tidies up the table. She picks up the apple peels and then remembers the incident before. I wonder if she’s okay. What happened, Sakura? You should be smiling, your friends are here.

 

Eunbi throws the rubbish into the trash can.

 

I should check on her.

 

--

 

Once Minjoo enters her room, she pulls her phone out. She presses speed-dial ‘2’. She hears the dial tone for a bit before it is connected.

 

“I am sorry to disturb but…” Minjoo pauses. Does she want to do this? “Can you come over? I am not feeling so good. Just you alone, alright?”

 

Minjoo ends the call. She leans herself against her bedroom door and lets out a sigh. I do.


 

“Sorry I got to go.” Chaewon suddenly stops in her tracks. They are on their way to a spot Chaewon knows somewhere slightly off the city fringes when she receives a call.

 

“Did something happen? Is it Minjoo?” It is hard to deny the disappointment for the disruption but Hitomi brushes it aside for the concern she has for her best friend.

 

“I am not too sure but she just called asking for me to go over.” The agent starts to retrace their steps back to the main road. “Let me call you a cab before I go.” Chaewon walks without looking back.

 

Hitomi suppresses her sadness but an abrupt call from Minjoo is definitely concerning. The girl follows the agent towards the main road. “No it’s alright, I can take care of myself. Or shall I come with you?” Hitomi offers.

 

Chaewon shakes her head. “She asked for me alone.” The agent keeps her eyes on the main road, ready to flag an available cab but she suddenly remembers the situation she is in. Chaewon turns back to her date. “I am sorry I have to leave-”

 

It isn’t unexpected that the smaller girl is understanding. “Sure! Sure! Erm, just go ahead don’t worry about me. I’ll catch a cab after you.”

 

Chaewon spots a cab and she immediately flags it out. Just before entering, she turns to Hitomi. “I’ll update you if anything happens. Again, I am sorry.”

 

Seeing the genuine apologetic look on Chaewon’s face helps Hitomi feel better about the shortened date. She smiles and waves Chaewon off as the taxi drives away. That’s definitely someone she fell in love with for the longest time and Hitomi tries to keep this positive thought in her head to suppress the ugly one that’s fighting to creep in. She always hated this other thought and assumed it was gone since Chaewon said yes but seems like it’s back...

 

Chaewon always chooses Minjoo.

 

--

 

Eunbi walks up the flight of stairs and arrives in front of the door she’s familiar with. She takes a gulp of the beer she has in her hand. Shift has been long over and the minors have already left so it’s time for a little reward for the end of a good work week. The little alcohol is surely helping her relax.

 

Eunbi feels the gaze and likewise matches it as they walk. The agent raises both her brows playfully, possibly referring to Sakura’s first encounter with ‘fans of the family’, and Sakura breaks into a toothy grin.

 

Eunbi grins at the memory from this afternoon.

 

She looks good when she smiles.

 

You should smile more often, Sakura.

 

It’s beautiful.

 

Eunbi frowns when she realises what she thought. You shouldn’t-

 

“Hey Cap, you haven’t left?” A ground agent on patrol approaches.

 

Eunbi collects herself and walks over casually. “Just taking a little walk before I crash at the dorm. A bit too late to go home now. Is she in her room?” It is pretty obvious who she is referring to judging where they are.

 

“Yep. Her friends came by for a bit then they left. I think she’s probably asleep now. You should too, Cap.”

 

Eunbi pats the agent on the shoulder. The thing about KIS is the camaraderie they have despite being a large company. “I will. Be on your patrol, agent. Goodnight.”

 

The agent cheekily salutes the Captain before she leaves. Eunbi remains in the corridor in front of Sakura’s bedroom door. She takes another mouthful of the cool beverage. She justifies her presence here with some convincing. I am just being concerned since I can’t seem to forget how she was that time crying in the theatre alone.

 

Though am I really?

 

Seems like the little alcohol in her system is doing more than help her relax. It’s making her think more. Eunbi has always been someone who reflects a lot in her time alone. Just one of those days perhaps. Another mouthful down and she has finished the can of beer. She takes a step closer to the door. She suddenly remembers something funny.

 

Sakura stands with the door open revealing the dreaded person on the other side. Eunbi is now looking back at the shellshocked Sakura in the tight fitting white shirt with blank pants. Sakura continues to have her eyes drift around Eunbi’s chest area. Of course the quick witted agent is conscious of Sakura’s stare.

 

She chuckles. That girl was not subtle at all. Well, I guess it’s natural because I am an attractive woman. Eunbi smirks at her own self-praise. And so is she… Eunbi recalls the time she was helping Sakura with the dress before the dreadful dinner.

 

Eunbi then notices the not fully zipped back and naturally moves over for it. Yet crazily enough, the normally serene agent freezes at the sight of Sakura’s slightly exposed back - the principal’s smooth skin accentuates her already broad shoulders. That indeed is a sight to see.

 

In the corridor alone, she shakes her head, chiding herself. These thoughts are surely not professional, Kwon Eunbi. I have slipped too many times… Eunbi recalls the clearest one of them.

 

The stare on her lips is very apparent to Eunbi. They are so physically close therefore all the details cannot be missed. Also, Sakura’s eyes are not exactly hiding their target. Despite being acutely aware of Sakura’s focus, Eunbi isn’t strangely bothered. Instead she stays so very still, keeping the distance or lack thereof between them.

 

The girl has been challenging Eunbi’s boundaries ever since she arrived. Sakura is nothing but trouble both in work and… personal. It used to be the most annoying thing in the world but everything changed from the moment she saw her crying in the theatre alone. Now, Eunbi cannot help but want to keep the girl happy.

 

Sakura is already making it tough for her to keep her lead but the chances of Eunbi winning is still high. I am confident in my skills but do I want to win her? Her friends are here and she is trying… very hard. What if she gets upset? I don’t want to see that- Eunbi refocuses back to the game and her brief moment of thoughtfulness has cost her the lead.

Surprisingly, she really doesn’t mind.

 

Closing her eyes, Eunbi leaves her memories with a frown on her face. Disliking her principal used to be simpler yet that has long been a thing of the past. She started wanting to protect her and that grew as time passed. She came to admire all the quirks of her principal from the deceiving good looks to her si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter