Chapter 54

T H I E F
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

~*~

 

I promised the boys I would meet them at the dinning area in the main tower. 

I had finished today's airbending lesson with Yuta's master, Jinora. The head monks agreed to cooperate with us and not inform anyone, even the other nation leaders, of our whereabouts. 

Yuta might trust them, but I don't. I've never felt safe since we got here. I will never feel safe being in the bending world. I feel like I'm always being watched.

I began to walk around the temple before going to meet the boys. Then I thought of Hendery, wondering where he was or how he was doing. After walking across the courtyard, I stumbled upon what seemed like a meditating area. There were a lot of people meditating under the trees. And it was as if the universe has listened to my thoughts, I found Hendery amongst the crowd.

His eyes were closed shut, in a lotus position, soft breeze brushing through his fluffy hair. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. He looked so... peaceful and calm. The look I haven't seen since he calmed me down after we lost Mai, in the woods.

His eyes fluttered opened and immediately made contact with mine. I panicked and just waved my hand at him. The corner of his lips curled into a smile and he got down from the small wooden stage to go to me. As he was approaching he spread his arms. 

I closed my eyes as I was in his embrace.

"How'd the training go?" He asked.

"It was alright." I pressed my lips. "What have you been doing today?" I smiled at him.

"Nothing," he smiled back. "Just started meditating not long ago."

He looked... fine. But I couldn't help to wonder if he really was. After what he's gone through? 

"How about...—did anything... did you feel something—"

"No. I don't feel... her." He dismissed. "Come on, let's meet the others together. Don't wanna keep them waiting."

 

~


 

YUTA

 

"So you went on a romantic breakfast at Kyoshi Island," Ten said. "And didn't invite me??" 

Xiaojun, who was sitting across of me, smirked. "Romantic breakfast? But Mark went with them."

"You had Mark with you and not me!?" Ten held his chest as if he was hurt.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Have you figured out who's going to teach Juli waterbending?" I tried to change the subject.

"Oh," with eyes widened and eyebrows furrowed, Ten snapped his fingers and pointed at me, "speaking of that, why didn't we get Lucas to go with us? Now we don't know how to contact him."

"Lucas? Are you suggesting that he should be Juli's master?" I raised an eyebrow at him. "We need someone who is a master at combat, not healing."

"Man have you seen that guy fight?" Ten snickered. "You haven't, have you? I'm telling you, I think that guy can kick Jaehyun's in five seconds."

Jaehyun was the most skilled fighter among us. Some might argue that it was me, but being an airbender, I tend to not strike and fight back in combats. It's how I win every duel and fight. That's how I got to level 7, the highest level in the institute. But technically speaking, Jaehyun is far more skilled with his moves. He is trained in pure traditional firebending combat, which was rare today. His moves were also always tactical—like me—, and efficient. 

I have never fought him myself. I wish I would able to. Maybe after everything is back to normal. Just a friendly spar would do.

Now Ten is stating that Lucas could easily beat Jaehyun. Which means he could take me down easily too. So he is that powerful?

"It's true." Jaehyun smirked, who was sitting next to Xiaojun. "He didn't got the title Youngest Healer in the Northern Water Tribe for nothing. That kid is a true waterbending prodigy."

"And I still can't believe that we're the same age." Mark said, next to my other side.

So Jaehyun himself admitted it. How could anyone but me know about Lucas' skill? It made me want to see him fight now.
 

"That smells so good," 

Our gazes went to Hendery who just got here, scanning around the table at our food. 

Behind him was Juli, staring at our table with an empty gaze. Like she was lost in her own thoughts, like she always did recently. It wasn't her usual empty stare, not that don't talk to me I'm thinking stare. Now it was like she was always scared of something. She flinched so easily, and was more sensitive.

It really bothered me to see her like that.

I tried to get her to talk about it. Was it something that the fake me did to her back at the Northern Water Tribe? She was so upset when I talked to her afterwards. She always brushed the topic off everytime I brought it up. She did speak out on what was bothering her, but I don't think that's everything.

"Look at you," Ten smirked at Hendery. "Not so edgy and gloomy now, are we? You sound like the old you. The curse must be really gone."

"Jaehyun really loves the moon peach." I said. "You guys should try them." Hoping Juli would respond.

"Let's go see what they have," Hendery grabbed Juli's hand carefully and they walked together to get food.

I just don't understand. I don't know what to do anymore to cheer her up. I never expect her to be excited for what our fate has, waiting for us.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter