Chapter 18

T H I E F
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~*~

 

A punch landed on my face.

Then again,

And again, but this time from under my chin.

A kick was directed right into my stomach and it sent me flying back, then eventually landed facing the ground.

Breathing was hard. I could feel sweat dripping from my forehead all the way down to my jaw.

It was rumored that the princess is— or was the Avatar, Seulgi had once said.

What if it's true? What if I am the Avatar and everyone wants to hand me to the dark witch?

"Juli!" 

I heard someone called my name somewhere in the crowd.

"Get up! Get. Up!"

My ears were buzzing and my vision was a bit blurry. 

I couldn't take another blow. My head fell to the ground and then everything was black.
 

~
 

"How do you always end up... in the infirmary?" 

As soon as I was healed by Lucas from what I got in Combat class, I decided to practice my moves in the indoor gym.

I kept punching the punching bag, not even knowing what to do. 

"Juli..." Hendery called.

I kept punching, hoping that he would let this go and leave me alone.

"Where were you?" I didn't stop punching.

"Excuse me?" 

"You were gone for two days, where were you?" I said as I gave another blow.

"It doesn't matter, I—"

I punched the bag hard enough and I was using a bit of fire on my fist. The rubber melted and it created a hole. Sand started to ooze out of the punching bag.

"You aren't telling me and you expect me to talk to you?" I said as I glared. "Do you even know how friends have conversation, Hendery? You can't just be the one who's always asking questions and I am the one who's always answering. It just doesn't go like that." 

Hendery kept staring at me with sadness in his eyes. He looked like he wanted to say something but decided not to, like he always did.

I felt bad for coming at him like I just did.

I let out a deep sigh. I stepped forward and pulled him into my embrace.

We stayed silent.

I kept him in my arms, even though he wasn't returning the hug, I decided not to let go yet.

I felt like he needed this, I felt like I had to do it. I wanted to give him a comfort.

It felt so nice, I felt like I never wanted to let go. All those memories where he was always there to help me suddenly came rushing back to me. I never really said thank you, or show any gratitude or even return the favor or anything.

All that I could do was this, giving him a hug.

You're pathetic, Juli.

"I just..." I said as the side of my face was leaning to his chest, listening to his fastened heartbeat. "Want to help you. I really want you to tell me what's wrong so that I can help you, maybe." I fought to not tear up.

I felt his arms moved, and it wrapped around me. He pulled me tight.

"Why can't you just let me help you, Hendery? All that I can do is this stupid useless — a hug, because I don't know what else I can do. I know you're having a hard time, but you know what? If you don't want to talk about it then don't. I respect that. But I'm so sorry, I cannot do anything to help, when all you ever done for me was helping me."

Hendery hushed me and he patted my head. "You're not useless, Juli. Don't ever say that again. You don't know how much this makes me feel so much better."

I burried my face on his chest because I didn't want my tears to fall.

"I cannot sleep at night. The image where I sent my dual broadsword flying to the guy's head kept repeating in my mind everytime I close my eyes."

"I'm so sorry," was all that I could say. "I'm so so sorry."

"Stop it. It's not your fault. In fact, remembering what was the reason I did that for always makes me feel so much better. I am glad that I did what I did, I am glad that I chose to save you." Hendery said.

It sounded like he was comforting me, when it was supposed to be the other way around.

"And you paid the price, It's not fair. It's not fair."

Hendery pushed me back gently away from himself. 

"I have to go." He said as he planted a quick kiss on my forehead. "Goodbye, Juli."

He sounded like he was never going to come back, but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter