Chapter 17

T H I E F
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


~*~

 

Jaehyun pulled me closer to him and made me stand behind him.

"So, you know about Bounty Hunters, huh? I guess it's because you had an encounter with them when you were with Hendery?" Jaehyun said gravely.

I gritted my teeth. "Those bastards are the reason Mai is dead."

I don't think Jaehyun knows who Mai was, but he didn't ask anything afterwards.

"Only students who go out on A rank missions and above are trained to recognise Bounty Hunters." Jaehyun said. "We need to figure out why they are here."

"We need to contact Victor." I said.

"No, there is no time."

"So what should we do?" Juli asked.

I could see his jaws tightening. "Will you be able to reach the institute ASAP? I'll have to distract them while you're going." 

I nodded as a yes and began to walk away.

 

~

 

I ran and ran as fast as I could and as best as I could, navigating through the dark passageway.

They were following me—The Bounty Hunters were following me.

As soon as they saw me walking away from Jaehyun, I could tell that they were trailing behind me, and it was okay. I needed them to get out of the crowd.

Nevertheless, I had to run and tell the institute that Bounty Hunters are in the Infini Cave. That means they know where we are.

"Juli!"

I heard Jaehyun calling my name. I guess he was following the Bounty Hunters. There were three of them.

I saw flickers of light lighting up the way. That was when I knew Jaehyun were fighting them.

Jaehyun is a firebender.

Of course he is, why am I surprised? He challenged me to an Agni Kai.

I stopped on my track abruptly and turned around to look.

"Jaehyun!" I said and started to run towards him to help, somehow.

"No! Don't! I'll be alright just get to the institute now!" He said as he threw an intense fireball at one of the guys and it made him fall to the ground unconscious.

"I can't just leave you!"

"Get her!" Said one of the guy.

One of them started to charge at me and I was frozen on my spot.

"No!" I heard Jaehyun said faintly.

Everything was played in slo-mo. 

I didn't know how Jaehyun got in front of me, but he did. Then he let out his hot stream of black fire. 

Black ing fire.

I raised my arms to shield myself from the heat, because it was extremely hot.

His fire, not himself.

I mean he is too—

I was about to die and I had the time to think about this . Am I not amazing?

His fire got the remaining Bounty Hunter, who was about to get me, knocked out too.

We watched the unconscious body which was lying on the ground, waiting for him to get up and launch at us, but he never did.

Jaehyun shoulders relaxed and he turned around to me. 

He was about to smile but I notice something weird. It was as if his eyelids were too heavy, and then his eyes rolled back. He collapsed and started to fall to me. 

I tried to hold him but I fell on my knees trying to get a hold of him.

"Hey... hey! Wake up! Jaehyun! No!Please!" I cried out. I tapped his back gently over and over again. "Jaehyun please don't do this to me, I can't carry you to the institute!" 

I don't understand he was winning against them I didn't see him getting hit or something.

I tried to get up with him altogether but I couldn't do it. And he wasn't waking up still, he was just laying unconscious on my shoulder.

I have to at least drag him to the institute area where the guards or anyone could hear me if I scream loud enough. Which is another ten minutes walk from where we were, if you didn't have a guy to drag around.
 

~
 

I sat at the bed next to Jaehyun's in the infirmary. Watching as Lucas was treating Jaehyun with his magic waterbending.

"Juli," Hendery called, standing next to my bed looking at me. "How are you feeling?"

I wanted to answer him, but instead I was lost in my own thoughts, staring at Jaehyun's motionless body.

The Bounty Hunters know where I am, they know about the institute and know how to get here. How am I safe anymore? It's just a matter of time that they'll get me.

More importantly, why do they want me? Who are they working for?

Hendery held my shoulder and called my name again. 

I breathed in sharply and looked at him. "Yes?"

"Are you sure you're okay?" He asked.

Lucas finally left to renew the bowl of water.

Jaehyun's eyes were still closed shu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter