Chapter 13

T H I E F
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~*~
 

I am the Avatar.

Saying that in my mind makes me sound so crazy. 

I might not know the real meaning of it, but I pretty much get the idea. 

Could you imagine? Out of all people, the only one who can control all of the four elements turns out to be you. If you're the only one with that ability, you must have a very crucial role in that society.

My eyes fluttered open and was greeted by the harsh light. They naturally landed on someone who was sitting next to my bed, staring at me.

I tried to say something, but I couldn't seem to do it.

"Oh thank the gods!" Victor cried out. "I thought you would never wake up."

How many times have I passed out this week? I'm really getting tired of this.

"Y—you—l—lied." I said, while sounding like something was blocking my voice box.

I scanned the room without moving my head and found nobody.

"What are you talking about, dear?" He asked, like he had no idea what I was talking about.

"I'm th—the A—A—Avatar... aren't I?" I whispered.

I caught his eyes widened slightly, and his eyes were shaking. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" I said shakily. "What does that mean? Is it a bad thing? That's why you didn't want to tell me?"

"I only did it to protect you." He whispered back, also shakily.

"From the truth?" I whispered.

"No—"

"Why is it so hard to tell me that I'm the Avatar?"

"Stop saying that word—"

"Why?? Tell me, Victor, please." I felt a tear running down to the other side of my face. "I'm tired."

"You don't know how hard it is for me to do this." He gritted his teeth.

"I'm so tired— I'm tired of not knowing who myself is. I have all of these powers and I can't control them. I don't know what it is." My voice faltered. "For once in my life I thought I have found out who I really am, and where I came from, but the truth is... I still know nothing." 

"I promise I did it to protect you. The more you know, the more danger you are exposed to."

"You don't know what it's like, Victor." I said quietly. "You don't know what it's like to feel like you don't know yourself, it's like I'm living in this stranger's vessel— it's like I'm a visitor in my own body."

"I'm so sorry. I can't afford to loose anyone again. You're the only family I have left." Victor said. "I know that is selfish of me but I don't care, I will do anything to protect you."

I sighed, "you really don't get it do you? Leaving me in the dark will only put me in more danger. It's okay, Victor. Just tell me what I have to know."

"I can't. It will only trigger the curse. I'm so sorry, Juli." 

I closed my eyes and breathed it. I got up from the bed and stood up.

"Wait, where are you going?" Victor grabbed my hand.

I pulled my hand back, "find my own answers."
 

 

~


 

I headed to the library, hoping to find a book about the Avatar.

I don't care if my brain shatters reading about it, I might as well die trying to find out about myself.

I went to the section 'The Bending Arts' and found a book titled The Master of All Four Elements.

That was easy.

I flipped open the first page. 

Avatar Wan, was written below a picture of a man with dark long hair and beard.

He is the first Avatar.

-is the human embodiment of light and peace through the connection with the Avatar Spirit

-As the only physical being with the ability to bend all four elements, it is considered the Avatar's duty to master the four bending arts and use that power to keep balance among the four nations of the world, as well as between mankind and spirits.

I closed the book immediately.

I was about right.

I've read about enough to know what being an Avatar means— responsibilities and duties.

Imagine having to do something what is expected of you, when you yourself know that you will never going to make it.

There is no way that I am the one who balances the bending world and master the four elements bending arts.

I ran out of the library not knowing where I was going.

I was angry. Anger boiled deep in my system, like hot boiling lava. I couldn't breathe properly. 

I ran 'till I reached the Main Hall and went straight out of it. I saw the big gates where Victor captured the boys.

I shove my hands in the air and released a gust of wind strong enough for the big gates to part open.

I went through it and kept running.

I ran and I ran in the opened field. Having no idea where it would lead me. My eyes were too blurry to see where I was going. 

I was about to run into a dark looking woods where mist and fog were blanketing the whole area. I we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter