Hyukjae: It’s Not An Easy Decision

Do You Dare?

 

“So you have decided?” Kyuhyun asks.

 

I nod… and draw a deep breath. Turning my head, I settle my eyes on the water surface. We are sitting in the same café by the river. Last time we sat here my heart was jolted, restless. Now as I look upon the water surface as still as a mirror, as dark as the night sky, I feel like looking at my heart…

 

I am determined. I feel the calm in the middle of a storm. Yet nothing is certain to me.

 

It’s not an easy decision.

 

……

 

Things had been tough over the last years.

 

Uncle Cho quitted. Thanks to Kyuhyun, saying he’s not proud of a father who had to rely on others to make a living.

 

The following months people were reluctant to listen to me. Can’t blame them. Switching roles I’d probably do the same. Why should someone with over 10 years of experience in the industry listen to a young fellow?

 

People didn’t trust me. They missed no chance to remind me of my age and lack of experience.

 

And then a number of them decided to leave and joined Uncle Cho’s company.

 

Maybe that’s a good thing. Those who stayed tended to be more supportive. And there’s this Ambrose. In his mid forties, he had served in the company for no idea how long. It seemed he’s happy about Uncle Cho’s resignation. He’s eager to take up responsibilities. He constantly reminded me he trusted me; and that he saw me a great CEO in the making.

 

Business was difficult. Competition was keen. Nevertheless, step by step, we kept going…

 

One evening I stayed until very late in the office. Not planned. Not intended.

 

It’s very quiet. The sudden peeping of a phone outside shocked me more than a thunder roar could. But that’s in no way comparable to what I heard next… even though I didn’t manage to pick up everything. “… Fine… The kid will sign… He’s a boy… knows nothing…”

 

That’s Ambrose.

 

I was stunned for a few seconds. And then I fetched all the contracts prepared by him, pending for my signature. I scrutinized through them. I googled everything I could. That evening… I didn’t find anything.

 

Yet I refused to sign any of those the next day.

 

Ambrose pushed. And pushed. And he pushed again. At the end he got insanely furious.

 

He was fired. Long story short. It turned out Ambrose was secretly working for Uncle Cho. If I had signed those contracts… I would never be able to face Appa again…

 

……

 

Yet now… recalling the way Appa looked at me, and then looked away this morning…

 

Today morning Appa had another body check. The result was positive. He’s been gradually getting better and better. After the doctor left Appa took my hand. His grip was warm, tender, but firm. “Hyukkie.”

 

I grabbed a chair and sat down beside him. “Yes Appa.”

 

“How many years? How many years have you been looking after the company?” As he spoke his eyes sparkled, and a smile rarely seen in the last few years shone on his face.

 

My heart sank in me. My throat felt dry when I whispered. “About… three years…”

 

Appa turned to me and my hair. “And that’s one of the most difficult periods. You did a fantastic job Hyukkie.”

 

I smiled and lowered my head. I hoped I managed to conceal my reluctance.

 

“And I think it’s time…”

 

“No.” Abruptly I looked up.

 

Appa was bewildered, his smile fading…

 

I moved to kneel in front of him, taking both his hands. My eyes flickered elsewhere. I dared not look at him. Slowly my voice came out from my throat. “Appa… I… I plan to go back after graduation.” Taking a deep breath I finished the sentence.

 

Then I felt Appa’s hands tremble in mine. That sent shivers up my arms and into my heart.

 

Appa was hurt. I let him down.

 

After a long deafening silence Appa spoke with a voice so broken it’s like hearing porcelain being shattered. “Hyukkie… you want to… leave… us…?”

 

I knew the plan, the plan so set in stone in my family. Lee Hyukjae, his father’s only son, the future owner of Lee’s Corporation. Since I was born that’s the plan.

 

What I just told Appa, was as incomprehensible as an alien language. I shook my head. “No. No. I only need a few more years. I will be back! I promise!”

 

Actually I didn’t know. I wasn’t sure if I could bring Donghae here a few years later. I wasn’t even sure if Donghae would still see me at all. When that thought crossed my head, fear started to kindle inside I felt my blood turn cold.

 

No matter what, I need to go back and see.

 

I tightened my grip on Appa’s hands, and looked up at him with teary, pleading eyes. “Sorry Appa… There’s something… I need to do… That’s… very… very… important to me… Please… understand…”

 

Appa’s still recovering. Appa had poured out everything for the family, for me. Appa had burnt out. Appa should rest. Appa should retire, and enjoy the rest of his life. Appa shouldn’t worry about anything anymore.

 

But…

 

I felt like a rebellious son, a wicked person.

 

My heart ached so much in me, seeing the way Appa looked at me… nodded… and then looked away…

 

……

 

“So when? Good you took my advice.” Kyuhyun lets out something between a smile and a smirk.

 

I sit up straight. “A few months later. After graduation. Until then I need to wrap things up here…” Suddenly Kyuhyun looks up and frowns.

 

I hear footsteps running towards us from behind. Before I can turn my head…

 

“WHAT… ARE… YOU… DOING… HERE…?!”

 

Did somebody just yell at us? The voice sounds familiar. But it’s one buried so deep at the back of my head I cannot retrieve right away. I know I’ve heard this voice before but…

 

Turning my head I see that somebody standing behind me, looking down at me, catching his breath.

 

Oh right… Now I remember.

 

Henry.

 

In between panting Henry continues. “What… are… you… doing… here… Hyukjae Hyung?”

 

For some minutes we stare at each other. I pull out the chair beside me. “Take a seat Henry.”

 

Henry flops himself down onto the chair. He’s examining Kyuhyun now, eyes narrowed.

 

“Kyuhyun this is Henry, Donghae’s friend. And Henry this is Kyuhyun. My cousin.” I stress on the last two words.

 

“Cousin?” Henry is confused for a little while. When realization flashes in his eyes he relaxes. “Hi! Nice to meet you!”

 

Kyuhyun definitely knows what Henry was suspecting. “Nice to meet you too. You do have a reason to worry. I fall head over heels for Hyuk but he just wouldn’t accept me.” The smirk on his face gleams I’m sure that would make many girls fall for him.

 

Rolling my eyes I snap. “Stop it Kyuhyun!”

 

The way Kyuhyun looks at me gives me goose bumps. “No Hyuk I can’t. I can’t stop loving you…”

 

I sense Henry tense. Ignoring Kyuhyun I turn to Henry. “Don’t listen to him. Why are you here?”

 

Henry fixes his eyes on Kyuhyun for some time, before shifting them to me. “Visiting my family. And what are you doing here in Toronto Hyukjae Hyung?”

 

“What? I live here.” I answer without thinking.

 

Henry’s like he cannot comprehend this piece of information.

 

Then it dawns on me that they all don’t know. I didn’t tell where I was going…

 

“Henry… how’s… Donghae?” My heart is galloping inside me now.

 

……

 

We talk for hours. Henry fills me in with Donghae’s story… university… audition… Ryan… suicide… Siwon… Mr. Kim… concert… confession…

 

Donghae…

 

At the end Henry sighs. “Hyukjae Hyung. Please. Listen to me.”

 

Henry looks at me, his stare serious, pressing. “Donghae Hyung has never stopped loving you. But Hyukjae Hyung. You can’t wait until months later." Henry grips my arms. “You can’t! Go back. Now. I mean it. Now!”

 

 

-------------------------

A/N: Sorry that I've been keeping the "real" break-up reason for so long. Hyuk's family was originally in Korea. Due to his father's health problem they planned to move to Canada, together with their family business,  global one. Kyuhyun's family moved with them, coz Uncle Cho's a key member in the company as well. Hyuk knew he'd have to leave the country sooner or later when he met Hae. Still he couldn't stop their relationship from starting.

A/N2: Please bear with me about the update frequency. I'm still working to improve. >_<

A/N3: It's getting cold now in Germany. How about your place? ^^