Donghae: One Love

Do You Dare?

 

Time flies.

 

One month, two months…

 

One year, two years…

 

Henry is now a famous violinist, a rising star, releasing albums one after another, travelling around the world giving performances.

 

Tonight Siwon and I go to his concert in Seoul. We’re given free tickets of course, the very best seats, first row in the middle.

 

I cannot help my smile. Henry shines. Not only me. I think everybody else cannot take his or her eyes off him. His talent sweeps over the audience, echoes back and forth in the hall. Henry’s more than just a violinist. He composes. He dances. He’s capable of capturing all eyes, all ears, and taking everyone’s breath away.

 

It’s like a journey through the wonderland. The last note ripples through the air, accompanying Henry’s ending pose. Cheers and applause drown the whole place, as the stage curtains are being lowered. My heart is pounding so hard. I’m clapping as feverishly as I can. Both Siwon and I stand up.

 

When the stage curtains are lifted again Henry comes to stand in the middle of the stage. Politely and in a funny way he bows and thanks everyone.

 

……

 

“Brilliant Henry!” Siwon pats Henry’s shoulder, who’s smiling really really wide.

 

We’re in our favorite restaurant for a very late dinner. All of us are too busy to squeeze dinner in our schedule today.

 

“Thanks Siwon Hyung. It’s all because you have mentioned me on your twitter.” That’s very true. Choi Siwon is now a well-known artist in Korea, with over two million followers on twitter.

 

“I’m your fan you know.” Really Siwon is not kidding, but he responds in a teasing way. Henry blushes as he shifts his eyes to look at me.

 

“Donghae Hyung what are you doing?”

 

“Tweeting.” Pressing the “Tweet” button the photo of us three will soon be viewed by many.

 

Looking up from my phone I ask Henry. “So upon wrapping up Asia, where are the next stops?”

 

Henry’s eyes sparkle, definitely excited and looking forward. “Paris. Berlin. London. And then a couple of cities in the States. Final stops are Vancouver and Toronto. There I can visit my family!”

 

“When will you come back?” Concerned I frown slightly, worried.

 

Knowing why I asked Henry pouts and apologetically answers. “Two months later… Sorry Donghae Hyung… Your concert next month... I can’t make it…”

 

My disappointment must be all over my face. Henry looks down and mutters. “Sorry…”

 

Silence lasts for a few moments. And then I reach out my hand to ruffle his hair. “It’s alright. I understand.”

 

Yes I’m disappointed. That’s my very first personal concert. I hope all my best friends will be there. Siwon and Henry are the best out of the best. However how can I complain? How can I blame Henry’s success?

 

“I will be there Donghae. And Leeteuk Hyung and Sungmin Hyung as well.” Gently Siwon puts his hand on my shoulder.

 

Henry pats my other shoulder. “Even though I won’t be there you have all my support Hyung!”

 

I feel so warm. “Thank you both of you!”

 

……

 

Back home.

 

Once again I take the photo frame into my hands and scrutinize Hyukjae’s face. The bittersweet sensation on my tongue sinks into my heart.

 

Not a single day in the last few years passed without me staring intently at his picture.

 

I’m afraid I would forget.

 

Yet… at the same time I’m afraid I cannot forget.

 

I put the photo frame back down. Hyukkie… Do you still remember? I tried. Indeed I tried. The harder I attempt to wipe you off from my brain, the deeper the memories take root. I wonder… if you still remember… Hyukkie…?

 

Closing my eyes I draw in a deep breath. I bite my lower lip and summon all courage within. I have to do this.

 

Reaching into my pocket I take out my cellphone.

 

Hyukkie... Please come to my concert. You being there means the most to me. Really. – Hae

 

Maybe it’s just me. I feel my thumb tremble when I press “Send”. Not only my thumb. My hands, my arms, my body, my heart…

 

I hug myself tight, all of a sudden feeling very chilly…

 

Hyuk…

 

……

 

Diligently I practice, every single day.

 

I enjoy the sweat and sometimes the muscle pain. Hard work reminds me I’m getting well prepared for my dream.

 

Henry wanted to be a violinist. His dream has come true.

 

Siwon wanted to be an actor. He’s not only an actor now. He’s an all-rounded artist.

 

I, Lee Donghae, cannot be left behind. I will do my best. I will strive my hardest to achieve what I dreamed of.

 

My dream… is to have you in my life… Donghae…

 

……

 

“Are you alright Donghae?”

 

“DONGHAE?”

 

My mind, originally wandering far away, slowly captures the scene around me. Choreographer Wilson is standing right in front of me, eyes widened. Not just that. All other dancers have gathered around, concerned.

 

Only then I realize I have halted in the middle of dancing, and that I’m heaving heavily.

 

I gather myself up. “Sorry… Yes I’m alright.”

 

And the practice continues.

 

Hyukkie… Please be there in the concert… Please…

 

……

 

This is the day. My heart is jumping so hard. I put a hand on my chest to soothe it.

 

Yes it’s my first personal concert. I’ve gone through countless rehearsals. It should be OK.

 

Or maybe my heart is nervous due to another reason.

 

The show is about to start. I spare a glance at the auditorium. Faintly I see Siwon in the front row, chatting with Leeteuk Hyung and Sungmin Hyung.

 

My eyes sweep from left to right, top to bottom, near to far…

 

Hyuk… Where are you?

 

……

 

With every passing second the atmosphere in the arena is getting heated up. Everyone is holding his or her breath. Every particle in the air is trying every might to stay still, to contain its vibration until music slices through the arena to guide the tempo.

 

The dancers and I take our positions.

 

The moment comes. Spotlight shines on me. Guitar strings are plucked. Drumsticks hit the cymbals. Rhythms in the form of electronic signals flow through the cables to the loudspeakers. The prelude melody surges and swirls around the arena, releasing all particles which have been held still for too long.

 

I give it all. Every breath I take, every move I make, every note I sing… I make sure I pour out the reservoir of feelings inside. I strive to give each and every single song a life.

 

There’s a story behind every song. Joyful. Sorrowful. Helpless. Pathetic. Reluctant. Hopeful. Peaceful. Anxious. Painful. Grateful. Cynical…

 

And what’s the ending of the story?

 

What’s the ending song?

 

……

 

I thought it's gonna to be OK. But… I miss you more and more… And I'm still waiting for you. So listen.

One love… One love…

The memories are beautiful… never let you go…

One love… One love… ALWAYS BE MY LOVE!!!!

 

……

 

My hand gripping the mic is slightly shaking. I close my eyes and raise my head, drawing in a deep breath.

 

With the fade away of the final note, silence reigns the place for some time. And then applause takes over.

 

Unmoving I remain… until the applause subsides… until silence descends…

 

Hyuk… I hope you’re here somewhere…

 

“I dedicate this song to its composer, the one love in my life.”

 

Sounds of people gasping, murmuring, fill the place.

 

My heart is beating. But calmly it continues to speak. “Over the last years I loved you, I hated you, I missed you, I scolded you. I told myself to forget. Yet I also asked myself to reminisce. I did everything I could… to no avail. Today… I’m still living the moment we separated.”

 

Tears begin to roll down my eyes. I have to finish this.

 

“If you feel the same, come back to me. I still love you… Hyukkie…”

 

More gasping, more murmuring…

 

I smile. My heart is soothed.

 

Now I’ve done all I can. I leave everything to fate…

 

--------------------

A/N: Hi all! Long time no see! Sorry please bear with my hurry update. I didn't manage to reply to your comments this time. But I will going forward. And I will try to update more frequently as well? OK?

A/N2: In case you haven't read. I've written a one shot called Everything's gonna be alright. Hope you like it!! ^^