Chapter 4

Dear Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul University

 

Sunggyu left home early the next day not to risk meeting Woohyun by his house door; he doesn’t want to see him or hear his explanations. His prediction was right, Woohyun actually came to meet him the first thing in the morning but to his bad luck, he missed him.

 

Professor Heechul office;

“You asked for me, sir?”

Heechul gestured for Sunggyu to come, “Close the door” Sunggyu did what he asked him to do and stood in front of his professor, “Have a seat Sunggyu, why are you standing?”

That is weird! Why is he nice to him out of the sudden? Wasn’t he the one scolding him in class the other day!!

“What did I do?”

Heechul smiled, “You seem to be the type to get into a lot of troubles to ask such question.”

“That’s not true!”

“How is Woohyun?”

“I don’t know, aren't you two friends!!”

“Hmm.”

“Then why are you asking me?”

“so~~~, you’re not together?”

“You called me here to ask me this question?”

“Hmm, it’s important.”

Sunggyu had two seniors either Heechul is just jealous, or protecting the one Woohyun is going to get married to, Myungsoo was right Woohyun is in a relationship with someone else!!

“You should ask your friend this question” Sunggyu rose from the chair and bowed, “Anything else, sir?”

“Wait, where are you going?”

“I have other classes too, what made you think I’m free!!!”

“Sunggyu, sit again.”

“Professor Kim, I don’t take orders from anyone.”

“Not even Woohyun.”

“Not even him” Sunggyu rested his palms on his professor desk leaning forward, “So what made you think I’d listen to you?”

“I’m your professor?”

“In class, only” Sunggyu backed, “Here you’re just an Ajusshi who is investigating for his friend’s sake.”

“Is that wrong?”

“Ani” Sunggyu pouted shaking his head, “If that’s how you want to spend your free time instead of doing other things.”

“Other things?”

Sunggyu smirked, “You won’t understand anymore, I think you’re too old to feel anything.”

Sunggyu smirked when his professor looked down as if he was checking; he then left the office giving his professor some privacy to deal with his problem. The way he closed the door hard and loud made Heechul look up again and smile, “Cute.”

 

Somewhere in campus;

Sunggyu slammed his head on the table that his friend was sitting on whining, Sungyeol chose an outside table because the weather was good, “You don’t like this table?”

“Ani~~~~~~.”

Sungyeol jumped behind his friend’s back giving him shoulders massage, “Tell Yeolie what have you done?”

 Sunggyu rested his chin on his folded hands enjoying his friend’s fingers on his shoulders, “I think I will be kicked out from professor Heechul class.”

“What did you do? Again!!”

“YAH!!” Sungyeol flinched and stopped massaging, “Why is it always my fault?? And don’t stop, continue it feels good.”

Sungyeol leaned on his friend’s back, resting his whole weight on him, “Gyugyu~~~ tell your Yeolie what happened?”

“It’s because of your stupid brother.”

“Woohyun Hyung? What did he do?”

“I don’t know what he told our professor, but he was asking me personal things!!!”

“Like what?”

“Like- like if we’re dating and- and stuff.”

Sunggyu turned to look at his friend’s face not wanting to upset him, Sungyeol had a confused expression, “Why would he ask you this?”

“I don’t know?”

“Doesn’t he know we’re best friends?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Ah~~~~ that’s why” Sungyeol finally laughed, “If he knew he wouldn’t ask such question, breaking the friendship code is a big no, no and neither you nor Hyung would do this to me.”

“Hmm.”

“Besides, Hyung will get married soon so you shouldn’t worry about this.”

Sungyeol meant that his mother is already looking for someone for his brother and soon his brother will give in and meet them, so his marriage is happening soon, but that’s not what Sunggyu understood.

“I have to go.”

Sunggyu gathered his books fast, “you’re going to miss class.”

“I’ll talk to the professor before I leave I don’t feel well.”

“Want me to accompany you home? You didn’t eat your lunch.”

“I’ll eat home.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

Sungyeol pressed his palm on Sunggyu’s forehead, “I don’t want you to take the bus alone if you’re not feeling well.”

“I’ll be fine don’t worry.”

“Call me when you're home.”

“Okay, see you tomorrow.”

“You’re not coming today?”

“I’m grounded Yeolie; I can’t.”

“Right, see you tomorrow then.”

 

 

Kim House

 

“I’m home” Sunggyu announced changing his shoes to slippers, “What’s for lunch, I’m starving.”

“You’re early” Mr Kim welcomed his son with a big smile, “How was college?”

“Long, boring, I think I will quit soon.”

Mr Kim chuckled along with his son patting his back, “That’s my boy.”

“Omg, why are you encouraging him!? Now, go change before I change my mind about giving you food.”

“Neh, Uma” Sunggyu hugged the elder, “I love you mom but dad is still my top favourite.”

Sunggyu earned a light smack on his back he successfully teased his mom but also made her smile, “Call Myungsoo too, my favourite.”

Sunggyu chuckled, “Araso, Araso.”

Sunggyu checked his mobile receiving another message from Woohyun; he sighed deleting that message not understanding why would someone as Woohyun toy with his feelings! He wanted to ask the elder about it but he felt it wouldn’t be worth it, embarrassing himself once in front of Woohyun was more than enough, he won’t be able to live with himself if he heard Woohyun’s rejection to his face this time.

 

The Kim gathered on the dining table like always exchanging updates about their day, a habit from Mr Kim to keep everyone connected and everybody seemed to enjoy it too.

“So~~ who will start? Or should we turn the bottle this time?”

“I’m not talking about my day, it was boring full of classes, the only interesting thing is I have Sungyeol in all of my classes.”

Mr Kim smiled, “Alright, who’s next? Myungsoo?”

“I had a very productive day.”

“Geez, who use the word productive to describe their day!!! What are you a nerd?” Sunggyu always teased the younger

“A proud nerd”, Myungsoo then paused for a second trying to remember something interesting to talk about, “Oh yeah, uncle, remember Sungyeol Hyung’s brother?”

Sunggyu was about to eat a bite but stopped at the mention of Woohyun, “You mean Woohyun?”

“Hmm, did you know he is engaged?”

“Yeah, his mom said something about setting dates with different candidates, I guess one of them worked” Mrs Kim confirmed the news, “So, you know who is it?”

“It looks like he is a professor in college, his name is Heechul” Myungsoo chewed his food and swallowed it before he continued, “That’s what everyone is saying in gym class.”

“Sunggyu, isn’t he the same history professor Woohyun talked to?”

Sunggyu shrugged, “Probably, don’t know.”

“No wonder he did him big favour” Mrs Kim then continued, “Speaking of Woohyun, call him.”

Sunggyu frowned, “Why!”

“Don’t give me that face!! I’m your mother!!”

Sunggyu closed his eyes hoping it would relax his expression and it did the trick, “I’m not calling him!”

“He’s been trying to reach you, but you never answered him.”

“Because I don’t want to answer him!”

“Yah!! Kim Sunggyu!! I gave you back your mobile for a reason!!”

“Well, you know what!” Sunggyu rose from his chair placing the device next to his mom on the table, “Keep it” and then he walked away.

“Did you see that!! I’m done with him!! You deal with your son.”

“I’ll go talk to him.”

 

Sunggyu’s bedroom;

Mr Kim made sure he knocked on his son’s room before he opens the door, “Is it safe?”

Sunggyu smiled, “Dad~~.”

Sunggyu tried to avoid his father’s looks when he joined him on the bed; the elder placed Sunggyu’s mobile in front of him before he asked, “What is it, son?”

“What do you mean, dad?”

“You know you can tell me anything, right?” Sunggyu’s eyes were fixed on the bed as he nodded, “Are you having trouble studying? Because I can help.”

“Ani, I’m good.”

“Did you fight with Sungyeol?”

“No.”

Mr Kim nudged the younger playfully, “Did you asked someone out, and he turned you down?”

Sunggyu smiled shaking his head, “It’s not that.”

Mr Kim had a lot of patience; he could stay here forever until he makes sure that Sunggyu is well, “Is it about your mother?” Sunggyu looked up briefly then lowered his eyes again, “She cares about you.”

“I know, I just don’t know how to make her happy, I’m not Myungsoo!”

“Your mom has been emotional since the day I’ve met her” Mr Kim then pointed at Sunggyu’s heart, “but she has the kindest heart, she loves you both equally” the elder patted his son’s hand, “Go out a little, maybe visit Sungyeol?”

“I’m grounded.”

“I’ll talk to your mom; now go before I change my mind.”

Sunggyu finally smiled, “Thanks dad” yet he doesn’t know what hit him asking his dad such question, “Dad?”

“Yes, son?” The elder returned to bed

“What do you think of age difference between two people?”

“Age difference? I don’t understand; you mean friends?”

“A-Ani, I mean lovers?” Sunggyu continued trying to explain more, “Would you rather be with someone close to your age or with someone years apart- like very young.”

Mr Kim cupped Sunggyu’s cheek, “Are you in love, son?”

Sunggyu lowered his eyes quickly, “A-Ani, I’m just asking for a friend.”

“You want the truth?”

“Hmm.”

“If I’m the older one, then I rather someone from my generation.”

“I- I s-see.”

“Tell your friend that he’s still young, meeting the right person isn’t something easy, we don’t live in a movie Sunggyu, love, at first sight, doesn’t exist.”

“But let’s say that this old guy confessed to someone way younger than him after meeting him for two or three times only?”

“I’m sorry Sunggyu, but that old guy is toying your friend, no rational adult will make such move fast, are you sure it was a confession?”

“Huh? Who?”

“Your friend, did he get a confession?”

“I don’t know, I should ask him.”

Mr Kim sighed, “Tell your friend to forget about that guy” he then added getting off the bed, “You’re too young Sunggyu.”

“A-Appa!”

“You’ll meet the right one.”

 

Parents' room;

“And I say no!!! Call him back he is grounded for a reason!!”

“I think he learned his lesson; besides he isn’t going clubbing, he is at his friend’s house.”

Mrs Kim was not fond of her husband decision un-grounding Sunggyu, she believes that he still hasn’t learned his lesson yet considering how he talks back.

“Fine, you deal with him, don’t come to me when his professors expel him  from classes one by one!”

“Your son is going through something new, why don’t you listen to him for once!”

Hearing this, Mrs Kim asked worriedly, “Is he okay? Is he sick?”

“Hmm.”

“Where does it hurt?”

Mrs Kim was about to call her son, but her husband gave her the answer, “His heart.”

“Gyu is in love?”

“He didn’t say it out loud, but my father instinct says yes.”

“What did you tell him?”

“To stay away from that guy, he’s too young to think about someone older than him.”

“How old?”

“Apparently, very old.”

“And was he convinced?” Mrs Kim sighed relieved when her husband nodded, “Thank god, besides, he is too young to think about marriage and serious relationships.”

“I don’t mind if the other guy is serious too, but from what I’ve heard from Sunggyu that guy isn’t serious.”

“He is 18, what does he know about real relationships.”

“Sunggyu is very smart, stop looking down on him it makes him depressed.”

“Oh, please don’t exaggerate and don’t put ideas in his head he is dramatic enough.”

“Honey, Sunggyu-”

“Is fine and that’s final.”

 

 

Nam House

 

Sunggyu greeted Mrs Nam with a hug when she opened the door for him, “I thought you’re grounded, good to see you back here again.”

“I’m still grounded, but mom and dad excluded your house.”

“I’m glad” Mrs Nam took the younger’s hand inviting him in, Sungyeol wasn’t kidding when he said he is his mom’s favourite, “What do you want to eat?”

“My stomach isn’t well yet, and I’m not hungry” Mrs Nam nodded, “Can I go upstairs?”

“Sure, Sungyeol is waiting for you.”

“Thank you, auntie.”

“Sunggyu wait.”

“Yes, auntie?”

“Are you okay?” The elder examined Sunggyu’s face, “When was t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter