Chapter 3

Dear Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul University

 

Dear Diary,

I think I blew things with Sunggyu and scared him, but for now, I’m going to stay calm and pretend that nothing happened, he isn’t saying much too, and does he hate me now? Maybe he thinks I’m a weirdo!! Let me fix this problem with Heechul first then think of a way out.

Heechul had a big expensive sign outside his office, always a show off I guess he didn’t change. I miss Heechul too, we used to be so close, but life had other plans for us, he got married so soon, and I travelled aboard, we only texted during important holidays, and that’s it, it wasn’t like how it was with Dongwoo and Howon, we kind of grew apart.

I knocked on the door and waited for him to call us in, taking Sunggyu with me, of course, I’m not going to let him wait outside and make him worry.

 

When we walked in, Heechul had his eyes on his class material still isn’t aware of us, “I don’t give second chances if you’re expelled then save it and leave I’m not going to change my mind.”

Sunggyu was about to leave disappointed, but a firm grip on his wrist stopped him, “It’s good to see you too, buddy.”

“OMG!!!!!!” Heechul got off his chair and hugged Woohyun tight, “what are you doing here? Are you on vacation?”

“Ani, I moved back four days ago.”

“Finally you pitted us and decided to move back here” Heechul gestured for his friend to have a seat, “Did you settle down?”

“Yup, you’re now looking at the new Woollim High history teacher, I start today.”

“Congrats man” Heechul patted his friend’s hand, “So, tell me what can I do for you?”

“Yah!! So I can’t visit my friend without asking for favours!!!”

Heechul and Woohyun laughed, “I know you too well, and you wouldn’t scarify your first day hours just to say hi.”

Woohyun looked back at Sunggyu gesturing for him to come closer, “That’s Kim Sunggyu” Sunggyu bowed, “He skipped two classes, take back your warning and give him another chance, he is a smart student.”

Sunggyu’s eyes widen, how could Woohyun say it like that!! Now, what will his professor thinks of him, “Ajusshi!!”

Heechul chuckled nodding which also shocked Sunggyu, is it that simple, “Alright, consider yourself lucky Sunggyu, I don’t do favours for anyone.”

Sunggyu bowed again, “Thank you, professor; I’ll do well.”

“You must be very special to Woohyun; he doesn’t do this to anyone too.”

“Aish~~ you’ll make me look like a creep now” Again he went into silent mode staring at the floor, so I had to give him a release, “You can go Sunggyu, you’re going to be late.”

“Can I talk to you for a second?”

 

I stood outside Heechul office with Sunggyu waiting for him to say something anything, I didn’t want to push him the way he’s shifting means he’s worried about something. 

He finally looked into my eyes before he bowed, “Thank you, I owe you big time.”

I ruffled his hair, and he let me, to be honest, I was expecting a smack for ruining his beautiful hair, but hey I couldn’t help it! “You’re welcome, and you don’t owe me a thing I’m glad I could help.”

“Ajusshi, can we meet after school? I mean when you’re done from work.”

 Did he just ask me out? The real me would’ve just jumped on him and hugged him before accepting his offer, but I have an image to maintain so I only nodded playing it cool, “Sure, text me the place and I’ll be there.”

“Cool, I- I have to go now.”

“Later Sunggyu.”

 

I waited until he disappears from my sight before I returned to my friend and closed the door, and oh the way he was smirking!! I knew this is coming, damn you, my friends!!!

“So, who is he?”

“Who?”

“That boy.”

“Kim Sunggyu.”

“I know his name; you know what I mean.”

“Is it that obvious?”

Heechul laughed, “It’s written all over your face.”

“We’ve met on the plane.”

“Is that why he skipped my class” Heechul leaned back on his chair, “Damn Woohyun, you’re fast!”

“Yah, that’s not what happened!! It was a coincidence, I happened to hear him mentioning your name, and I offered help.”

“Boring~~~~ give me something interesting.”

“I like him.”

Heechul choked hearing this, “As in a one night stand kind of thingy, right?” his eyes then widen, “Omg, did you sleep with him?”

“Yah!! NO!! Who do you think I am??? Besides would I ask you for a favour for one nightstand??”

“True” Here we go, 3, 2, 1 “OMG!!! You do realise he’s 18?”

“Yes, I think I’m aware of this.”

“And he calls you Ajusshi?”

“Why do you have to be so mean like Dongwoo and Howon?”

“So, those two knows and never tried to stop you?”

“I’m a grown man; I know what I want.”

“I think you failed math because if you calculated the gap between you two, you wouldn’t be saying this!!”

“12 years is nothing.”

“Omg, you can calculate then!”

“Ha-ha very funny.”

“You do realise it’s more than just a number, it’s a whole different generation, to him you’re an old-fashioned old man.

“Geez, thanks, man.”

“I saying this for your good” I stood up to leave but Heechul stopped me, “fine, I’m sorry, I’ll listen to you.”

“Thank you.”

“So, did you confess?”

“Of course NOT!! It’s too soon.”

“For him maybe, but for you- man you need to move fast you’re running out of time.”

Heechul was just trying to cheer me up, and it worked, “What about you? How many kids you have?”

“A son, but he lives with him.”

“You’re divorced? Heechul nodded, “I’m so sorry, I didn’t know.”

“Yeah, it wasn’t working for us.”

“Don’t you want your kid to live with you?”

“Of course, I do, but its better this way” Heechul sighed, “I wasn’t ready for this, and he knew it but knocked me up anyway, since then we started to fight so we agreed on a divorce for our child's sake.”

“You know he needs a mammy figure.”

“He has one; my dear ex-remarried in no time as if he was waiting for the day we divorce to move on, and I meet him whenever I want, my ex is so understanding.”

“I’m sorry, Heechul.”

“Ani, Ani, I’m fine don’t worry about me.”

Though he repeated that he's okay over and over again with a big smile, I knew it wasn't okay and that he misses his kid, but he still doesn't want to admit it.

I excused himself to return to work, it’s my first day anyway, and I can’t be later. I wished to see Sunggyu before I leave but he was nowhere to be found, which means he’s in class, it’s okay I get to meet him after school.

 

At Heechul classroom;

“Gyu, you made it!!!” Sungyeol gestured for Sunggyu to sit next to him, “Was it hard?”

“Ani, your brother and professor Heechul seemed close” Sunggyu paused for a second then asked, “How close are they?”

Sungyeol shrugged, “Don’t know, I don’t remember my brother’s friends they stopped coming to our house when he went to college.”

Because of the between the brothers, Sungyeol wasn’t familiar with Woohyun’s friends, “Yeol, he didn’t even try professor Heechul just agreed.”

“And that’s good news” Sungyeol shook his friend’s body but got no response from him, “Gyu, what is it?”

Sunggyu didn’t get to answer his friend because Heechul entered the class, the professor gestured for Sunggyu to come close and the latter did, “Yes sir?”

“Those are the notes for the classes you missed.”

Sunggyu bowed taking the notes, “Thank you, sir, I’ll do my best.”

“You should thank Woohyun; I usually don’t do any favours to anyone, Woohyun is special to me.”

Sunggyu nodded and bowed one more than, “I’ll make sure to thank him again.”

“And don’t be a burden again, just come on time, it’s not hard.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Also, stop troubling Woohyun, he just got here let the man settle.”

Sunggyu looked at his professor shocked, “Did he say that?”

“Of course not, he is a nice guy, but because we grew up together, I can tell.”

“Yes, sir.”

“You can come to my office if you need help with the material.”

“Yes, sir” Sunggyu bowed one more time, “Thank you, sir.”

“You can go back to your seat.”

 

Why did it feel so strange when professor Heechul pointed at how close he was to Woohyun! Why did he felt left out when they were talking excluding him from the conversation!! Why was he worried about this anyway!!! Woohyun is his best friend’s brother and nothing more, right?

 

 

Woollim High

 

Woohyun’s class;

I walked into the class I was assigned to with a friendly smile trying to look as nice as I could, I genuinely want to win their hearts so that they open up to me if they’re in trouble. I chose to teach for that purpose; I’m an expert dealing with teenagers and their problems. Getting their attention wasn’t a problem for me, I already have them between my hands knowing how kids nowadays are clingy to their teachers.

I turned to the chalkboard and wrote my name, before I turned again to face their curious faces, “Hello everyone, I’m Nam Woohyun, the new home-teacher for this class, it’s nice to meet you all.”

“Seonsaeng-nim” A kid raised his hand and I gestured for him to continue, “Are you single?”

Now that was expected but not this soon, I thought if I answered this question then it would bring us closer, and those boys would feel safer to approach me, “Yes, but hopefully not for too long.”

 “Seonsaeng-nim, do you like someone?”

I smiled, “I’ll answer one question about me each class, depending on how you guys behave” everyone smiled nodding, I passed the first phase I guess, “Now, how I about I get to know your names, let’s start from the first row.”

“Lee Sungjong, nice to meet you Seonsaeng-nim.”

The boy sitting next to Sungjong was Sunggyu’s cousin, I don’t know if he recognised me, “Kim Myungsoo.”

I smiled and nodded for the boys introducing themselves trying my best to memorise all their names, this is the hardest task for all teachers, remembering your students’ names means you passed phase two and ready to take over the class.

The class bell ringed, and everyone waited for me to dismiss them from class, which is a good start it means they already respect me. Everyone left except for Myungsoo and Sungjong; I guess they were friends.

“Myungsoo.”

“Yes, Seonsaeng-nim.”

Myungsoo bowed getting closer to Woohyun, “You remember me, don’t you?”

Myungsoo smiled nodding, “Of course, you have a memorable face, Seonsaeng-nim.”

This boy can talk very well; I now understand what Mrs Kim means this boy is so polite, “Good, and if you need anything do hesitate to come to my office, I’ll gladly help.”

Myungsoo bowed, “Thank you, Seonsaeng-nim.”

“You too Sungjong” That boy was watching with a gapped mouth, I b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter