Chapter-9

Why did I end up falling for you?

Krystal's POV

Changmin oppa's parents invited me for dinner at their place. Since morning, I was nervous and excited too. Since the day Changmin oppa came for dinner at our place, I had been excited about anything that had to do with Changmin oppa. I was like a teenager falling in love for the first time, smiling even at the mere mention of his name.

Changmin oppa was supposed to pick me up. We were supposed to meet my dad at the company. I didn't know why my dad wanted us there. Maybe something about business. Anyway, after that we were gonna just hang out till evening and finally go to his place for the dinner. Just having to spend almost an enire day with him was giving me butterflies in my stomach.

When Changmin oppa finally came, we went straight to meet my dad. At the company, we were in dad's office. Both of them were discussing something about a partnership. I, on the other hand, was not interested so I just sat at the side using my phone stealing glances at Changmin oppa once in a while not making it obvious. 

Seeing him concentrating in the work made him even more attractive. I was letting myself fall over him all over again. When they were finally done, we were on our way out and we decided to have some coffee. So we stopped at a nearby cafe.

Changmin oppa came with our orders while I waited, cafe latte for me and americano for himself. He placed mine in front of me and went to sit opposite to me.

"Thanks." I said with a sweet smile.

He was sipping his coffee and looking outside through the glass windows. He seemed to be lost in his own thoughts and I didn't want to break him from his thoughts. So I just sipped my coffee and enjoyed my view of him.

"Krystal...tell me something." He said finally turning his attention to me and caught me off guard.

"Aham..uh..yeah?" I asked after clearing my throat at the awkward situation.

Maybe it wasn't awkward for him cause I don't think he saw me staring at him. He probably didn't realise, right? I hope he didn't. 

"Do you really think I can do well in business?" He continued. 

I could see the concerns in his eyes. He was probably nervous to take on such big things for the first time. I felt like I needed to encourage him and give him confidence.

"Yeah...I think you'll do well." I told him with all honesty. "Actually seeing you with dad today, I think you're already doing great. Your determination is no joke and I know it'll take you higher."

"Thanks." He said with a little laughter of relief. "That made me feel much better."

Hearing him say that instantly formed a smile on my lips. I felt as though I did something so great in life. For some reason, I seemed to be over happy about every little thing. Is that what love does to people?

When we came out of the cafe, I saw a flower shop just in front. I suggested we go there to get some flowers for his mom. He said I didn't need to but I dragged him there anyway. I wasn't gonna go empty handed to his place.

As I entered the shop, the smell of fresh flowers hit me. It was like heaven there with all the colorful flowers. I was busy checking out all the flowers and taking in the scents, I almost forgot what I came for.

"What flower does your mom like?" I asked Changmin oppa. 

"I don't know." He said with a shrug.

"Seriously?" I asked him again unable to believe. "But you came with my mom's favorite flower and yet you don't know your mom's favorite?"

"What? That was just a coincidence, Krystal!" He said as he shook his head at my absurdness.

Right...I think I just made a fool of myself, I thought. 

I tried to avoid the awkwardness by shifting my attention to the flowers again. I was starting to look around again and asked him for his suggestions.

"Do you think she'll like lilies?"

"Or maybe roses? Everyone loves roses, don't they?"

"What about tulips? They're pretty too."

"Peonies are good too." 

"Or maybe..."

"That's enough, Krystal." He interrupted before I could finish. "Just get anything. My mom's not picky. She'll love anything."

"But.."

"It's ok. Just get these if you can't decide." He said as he took a handful of all the flowers I mentioned and gave it to the florist to make a bouquet out of it.

"Will she like it?" I uttered not sure if that was a good idea.

"Relax...it's not like you're going to meet your in laws." He said with a smile as he put one of his hand on my shoulder.

His words seemed to hit me right in my chest. He was there smiling like everything was fine while my world was starting to crumble down bit by bit. 

"Sure.." I managed to say with a bitter smile.

I guess I went ahead of myself. Why was I even thinking that I have a chance with him? 

The ride on the way to his place was rather quiet with me lost in my own thought. Changmin oppa, on the other hand, was focused in his driving. He hardly ever talks when he drives. Most of the times, I found that frustrating but now I was more than thankful for it.

His words kept on replaying in my head.

"It's not like you're going to meet your in laws."

He was only telling the truth. I was not visiting them as their future daughter in law. But hearing that from him somehow made me lose every hope I had about us. 

Then, I remembered the last time my heart got broken by him without himself aware of it. 

Flashback

Changmin oppa had already graduated from university and I was in my last year too. Valentine's day was coming near and for the first time in my life, like everyone, I wanted to make chocolates for the person I loved and finally confessed my feelings for him too.

I was a really bad cook but because I wanted to give him chocolates that I make myself, I went to a cooking class that was coiincidentally doing a special Valentine's day class just to learn how to make chocolates. I learned there for two weeks and finally was able to make a pretty good chocolate. I was proud of it and couldn't wait to give it to him.

I spent the whole night making chocolates for him. When I was finally done, I arranged them neatly in a box and wrapped the box with a bow. Since I wasn't brave enough to confess to him face to face, I wrote a letter confessing my feelings and put it in the box too. 

The morning of February 14, I went to his place to give him the chocolates that I made. I wanted him to get mine first before anyone else. He was sure gonna receive chocolates from so many other girls too. But mine was different so I wanted him to get it before anyone else.

I walked towards his apartment with a nervous heart. But what I saw next just lifted my foot and made me walk away. 

He was in front of his apartment with a girl. I didn't know who she was. She wasn't anyone I had seen before. But from what I saw, I could tell they had something going on between them. 

They were standing so close to each other and laughing as they talked about something. Then, in just a moment, their lips met and they went for a deep kiss. 

Seeing that made me turn around instantly. Changmin had a girlfriend and he didn't tell me about it. If he did, I wouldn't have even made that stupid chocolate and made a fool out of myself. I thought we were close but I guess we weren't. I didn't know if it was seeing him with some other girl that made me angry and hurt or that he kept it a secret from me that he had a girlfriend.

I went back to my apartment and after tearing the letter that I wrote to so many pieces to the point that it couldn't be recovered, I sat down in front of the TV and watched all seasons of "Friends" just to make myself laugh while eating all the chocolates that I made just for him. My first and probably the last valentine's chocolate ended up that way.

We didn't meet up for so long after that. Even if he asked to meet up, I kept on giving him excuses that I was busy. I was not ready to see him after everything. Then, later as days passed, we kinda grew apart. He was busy with his girlfriend while I was busy pretending to be busy. 

The last time I saw him was when I finally graduated from university. He came to congratulate me and I was touched that he came but by then, I had erased all my feelings for him and he became just another senior from the university. After graduation, I came back to Korea and hadn't seen him until not long ago at Japan.
.............
.............

When we finally reached his place, I decided to discard my thoughts and just focus on meeting his parents. They were there waiting at the doorstep. 

"Come in...come in, Soojung." Changmin's mom welcomed me with a hug.

I smiled and gave her the bouquet. She was full of smiles as she accepted the bouquet.

"Soojung you got all my favorite flowers." She said as she admired the bouquet.

The florist really did a great job in making the bouquet. I thought it wouldn't look so good but it turned out pretty good.

"I'm glad you like it." I told her with a smile. 

"I love it." She said still holding the bouquet and ushered us to sit down on the sofa.

"Ahjumma! Bring the tea here." She shouted to their maid.

The maid appeared instantly with the tea and left after she served us.

"Have some tea first. Dinner is almost ready too." She said as she started arranging the flowers in an empty vase.

"I guess my mom really loves the flowers." Changmin oppa said looking at me with his sweetest smile.

I smiled back unconciously too. When I realised, I instantly removed the smile from my face and put on a poker face. I was still hurt by him. Remembering what happened in the past was bringing me more pain. 

"I guess Soojung really knows your mom's taste." Changmin's dad said interrupting my train of thoughts.

"I think we'll match really well." His mom said with a smile while still arranging the flowers.

I just nodded and smiled back. 

"By the way, Soojung, what do think of Changmin?" His mom asked me out of nowhere.

"Pardon?" I said even when I clearly heard what she said. It was a pretty awkward situation. I didn't even know what to answer.

"Mom! Why would you ask that?" Changmin oppa said with a nervous laugh.

"Oh..sorry..I guess I was too ahead of myself." Changmin's mom said as she put her hand on as though she said something she shouldn't have.

"Yes, just leave it to the kids." Changmin's dad told his wife.

It was pretty obvious already that his parents wanted me as their daughter in law. But what about Changmin oppa? What was his feeling? Why did it seem like he didn't like the idea of it? Thinking about it was already giving me a headache.

During dinner, Changmin's mom was busy talking about her younger days when she occassionally used to play piano too. She was telling how we were so alike and that she wanted a daughter like me. Most of the times, I just smiled and nodded to her stories. Although I was happy that she was very fond of me, my thought was only filled with concerns giving me a headache. 

Soon after dinner, Changmin oppa dropped me off at my place. We didn't talk at all during the ride and he went away just after wishing each other goodnight.

I went inside our house to find my sister still there in my room sitting on the couch with a file in her hand.

"What are you doing here? Why aren't you in your own house?" I asked her as I threw my bag and laid down on the bed.

"This is my home too." She said after closing the file she was looking at and shifted her attention to me.

"What about your husband?"

"He's busy too."

"Wow...you guys are the best couple ever." I told her jokingly with a little laugh.

She didn't say anything and was just staring at me. I could tell she had something she wanted to tell me. So I sat up and asked her, "You got something to tell me?"

"How was dinner?"

"It was okay.."

She just sat there on the couch with her legs crossed and her one hand supporting her chin and still staring at me. I knew what she wanted to tell me was something else.

"Okay..seriously, unnie...spit it out." I told her.

"I met Jaejoong today." She said.

"So?" I asked like I didn't care. It has been so long since I last saw him and I kinda missed him getting on my nerves too.

"He's doing a project with me."

"What's up with you and dad? Dad's doing a project with Changmin oppa and you're doing one with Jaejoong?" I asked her.

"It's different projects." 

"Do you even think he can do well? As far as I know he was as bad as me in business." I told her.

"He will do well...He's got so much potential." She said as she got up from the couch and walked towards the door.

"And by the way, he still seems to like you." She said as she walked away through the door. "Goodnight."

There goes my sister again thinking the most unbelievable things the world, I thought.

I was already so tired after a long hot day and forgetting all my worries about Changmin oppa I just went into deep sleep.