Chapter-8

Why did I end up falling for you?

Jaejoong's POV

I was called to come to my parents' house. My mom called early this morning and told me my dad wanted me to be there. I hated going there cause all my dad would do was lecture me about my life and right then my life wasn't something I was even proud of. So I was sure gonna get lectured on a lot of things. 

But as much as I hated going there, I couldn't not go. I could never disobey him. He always made sure I pay in some way whenever I go against him.

When I reached, I was greeted by my mom.

"Oh..my baby! You looked so thin. Haven't you been eating well?" My mom said cupping my face with her hands and looking worriedly at me.

"Mom...please...I'm fine. I'm eating well." I told her with a smile as I touched her hand still cupping my face.

"No...you should eat here today. I'll go cook for you." My mom said.

"But you haven't cooked in ages, mom." I reminded her.

My mom used to always cook for us when we were kids. But when we finally grew up and she got too busy, she left everything to our house cook and hadn't been cooking since then.

"If it's for you, I can cook anything. I'll cook all your favorites. It's not like you come here everyday too. How long has it been since we had a meal together?" She said.

"I called you here for business not to have some family lunch." My dad interrupted us. "Jaejoong come inside." He said as he went inside his library.

My mom smiled and put her hand on my arm encouraging me to go in. I sighed and went in.

My dad was sitting on his grand chair behind his huge table. Whenever I came in here to talk to him, I always felt like I was talking to the company's CEO and not as my dad. 

He ushered me to sit on the couch in the room. He followed and sat on the middle single couch.

"So...your life has been pretty messed up now I hear?" He said raising his eyebrows and eyeing me from behind his spectacles that were slightly drooping on his nose.

"Yes, I'm aware of that." I told him. There was no use in denying.

"So what do you plan to do?" He asked me.

I just shrugged my shoulders as to say I have no plans.

My dad shook his head and looked disappointed. He then said, "I always knew you can never make it on your own. That's why I called you here today to give you some work." 

I was not in the mood to have an argument with him. Although what he said felt like my pride being strampled, I took a deep breath and let it go. Let's just go along with him, I told myself.

"Today, you should go meet Jessica Jung with these papers. I've already set an appoinment. Go and discuss this with her." He said as he dropped a file on the table. 

"Jessica? You mean the Director of Dream Company?" I asked him shocked that he was asking me to do his office works.

"It's time you join the company too. You have so many things to learn."

"But..I don't..."

"Don't disappoint me again." He interrupted before I could finish and walked away.

I had no idea what was going on or what I had to talk about with Jessica. I took to see the file he left. It was about some joint project. But I was clueless about it. And Jessica? Soojung's sister? I didn't want to go cause some part of me felt that I might run into Soojung there.

I went into the kitchen to check if my mom needed any help. But she had already finished cooking and had set the table.

"Oh you're done? Come sit" She smiled and led me to the chair.

Soon, my dad and Taeyong also came along and for the first time in so many years, we were having a meal together. But it wasn't like those family reunion lunch where all the family members would talk about everything they had been missing out on. It was rather quiet until my dad left the table except for my mom constantly asking me if her food tasted okay or if I needed anything.

"Jaejoong, you should listen to your dad and do what he says." My mom said as I got up. "It'll be better for you that way."

I just gave her a nod and shifted my attention to Taeyong.

"You're coming with me." I told him.

"What? Where?" He asked looking surprised.

"Business." I told him as I got out of the kitchen.

"No way, hyung! I'm busy." He complained as he followed behind me.

"Doing what?" I asked him as I turned around to face him with my arms crossed.

"Games." He said with a shrug.

"You.are.getting.changed.right.now." I told him as I stared into his eyes and pulled him by his ears to his room while he shouted but no one really cared.

"Damn! Hyung! Why do I have to go too?" He was still complaining when we reached his room.

"You don't have to. I'm just taking you." I told him as I laid down on his bed and waited for him to change.

I was reluctant to go meet Jessica after what happened with Soojung. She'd probably be thinking I'm her sister's ex and that would make things weird. No, it'd even be weirder if she knew the truth. I was hoping Soojung didn't tell her about it. Or maybe she did. I mean she's her sister. She could have told like I told Taeyong too. Damn!

When we finally reached Dream Company, I was led to Jessica's office by her secreatry. When we entered, she was with her husband discussing about something and stopped halfway when she saw us.

"Ms. Choi, could you get us some tea, please?" She told her secretary with a smile planted on her lips.

The secretary just gave a nod and walked away after giving a bow. I and Taeyong were ushered to sit on the sofa. 

"So I guess this is the first time we're offically introducing each other. I'm Jessica Jung, Director of Dream Company." She said with a smile as she held out her hand.

"I'm Kim Jaejoong." I told her as I shook her hand. "But I don't know about my position yet." 

"I'm sure you'll figure it out soon." She said with a shrug and her arms folded across her chest. 

"I'm Park Yoochun. I think we've met before. I'm her husband by the way." The guy introduced with a pleasant smile. 

I smiled back and shook his hand too. When we were done introducing each other, I realised both Jessica and Yoochun were kinda staring at Taeyong curiously. 

"He's my brother, Kim Taeyong. I brought him along. I hope it's not that much of an inconvenience." I answered their curiosity.

"Oh no not at all." Jessica said. "It's good to have an early start in business. That way you get more experience." 

"But I'm not here for experience. I was dragged here." Taeyong muttered.

I glared at him and he just shrugged.

"So did you bring the file?" Jessica asked suddenly going into professional mode.

I gave her the file and she was flipping through the pages reading intently. 

"Do you know the project we're gonna be doing together?" She asked me with her eyes stilled focused on the paper.

"I'm not so sure. I got the file just today." I simply said. 

"And you didn't go through it at all?" She was giving me a side eye.

"Look, Mr. Kim. You need to be cooperative if you want to work with us. This project is to be done under you. You gotta do your share while I do mine." She said with all seriousness I felt like I was being scolded.

"Listen, I don't even know what I'm supposed to do alright? I just got the file and was asked to come here and suddenly I'm in charge of some project? That's ridiculous!" 

She just shook her head like it was no use talking to me. I was kinda offended too.

"Mr. Park. You should go start working on this." She told her husband as she gave him the file. He took the file and just left leaving us alone.

At that time, the secretary came in with tea and after she left, Jessica started speaking again.

"I know the truth." Jessica suddenly said.

"Pardon?" I asked her startled almost choking on the tea.

"About you and Soojung. I know what really happened." 

I didn't know what to say or do. I knew this was going to be weird.

"Soojung has been hanging out with Changmin a lot these days. You know him, don't you?" She asked as she took a sip of her tea.

Changmin? That guy in Japan?

"Yes, maybe I know him or maybe I don't." I answered her trying to be nonchalant.

She gave out a little laugh and said, "Then, do you know he's also the son of Shim Electronics? He's the heir. Although he was focused on arts before, he's finally setring foot in business now."

"Why are you telling me these?" I asked her curious about her motives.

"You like Soojung, don't you?" She asked all of a sudden.

I choke on the tea for the second time. 

"Why do you think I lkke her?" I asked her with a little laugh that probably came out nervous.

"Eyes can't lie, Jaejoong. Your eyes says it all."

"And why do you care?" I asked her.

"Cause Soojung's my baby sis. I want her to have the best. So either you or Changmin, I don't know which one it will be but I think it's only fair that you give her a try too. Never give up before even trying. Never regret." She said as she got up and walked towards her table.

"I have a meeting to attend now. Let's meet again." She said with a smile and put a hand on my shoulder like she was encouraging me or comforting me. I didn't know what it was.

"I guess you're really obvious, hyung. Even she found out. But how come Soojung noona is so oblivious to everything?" Taeyong was talking to me as we walked out of the office. I ignored him and just kept on walking. Then, I saw a familiar figure walking a few metres away from me. 

I walked closer to get a better view and I was right. It was Soojung. And was that Changmin walking with her? What were they doing here together? Were they a thing now? 

I unconsciously followed them outside the company building and when I saw them get into a car and driving away, I too got into my car to follow them when I heard someone shouting.

"Hyung! Hyung!" 

I saw Taeyong running towards me from inside the building. Damn it! I almost left him.

"Where did you get lost? And where were you trying to run away now?" Taeyong asked me still trying to catch his breath.

Before he started talking more, I just pulled him inside the car and drove away. I was hopelessly driving around. I didn't even know where they went.

"Hyung! Where are you going?" Taeyong asked looking at me confusingly.

He kinda woke me up from my own confusion and I stopped the car on the side. I took a deep breath and leaned my head on the steering wheel.

"Why was I even following them?" I muttered to myself.

"Who were you following?" Taeyong asked me sounding a little worried probably about how weird I was acting then. 

I trier to control my rising emotions but I couldn't any longer so I shouted and hit the steering wheel. I didn't like how I was acting. How I was going crazy over a girl. This wasn't me at all. Kim Jaejoong was never like this. Jung Soojung, what have you done to me?

"Hyung! Calm down. What happened to you?" Taeyong was still asking me shocked at what was going on.

I closed my eyes and took deep breaths and soon I was more calm and better. 

"I saw her." I finally told Taeyong. "I saw Soojung with that guy. And for some reason I wanted to follow them. Damn! I don't like what I've become now." I said as I rubbed my face with my hands. 

"Hyung! You gotta approach her and make your move too. If you don't you'll go mad for sure." 

"Yes I'll end up so mad." I smiled at him and joked to lift up the mood a bit.

Then, we were on our way back to my place. Taeyong decided to drive as I was too tensed and he was gonna sleep over just to prevent me from having a severe hangover in the morning. Yes, he was not gonna let me drink but where could I ever find a brother as caring as him? 

I smiled at the thought and my mind drifted into a deep sleep.