Epilogue

My Robotic Boyfriend

“Myung Soo, please… Don’t go.” Hye Ri pleaded as she looked at Myung Soo who turned his back on her.

“I love you.” Myung Soo said as he walked off coldly.

He felt extremely abnormal inside when he said those words. Getting on the van, he slammed the door and locked it. Dropping to the ground with a broken heart, Hye Ri cried. Through the film of tears, she saw the van drive off and eventually vanish from her sight. Sitting on the cold ground, more tears fell. Like an idiot, she was crying helplessly on the floor.

“Yeol, I said I love her.” Myung Soo said as he looked at Sung Yeol.

“What?!” Sung Yeol exclaimed as he turned to Myung Soo, shocked.

Under his programming, all series of ‘Robotic Boyfriend’ were only programmed to say they ‘like’ their ‘girlfriends’. The word ‘love’ was excluded from their dictionary as they didn’t want the clients to grow strong attachment to the product. At that instant, Sung Yeol knew something was wrong. He knew L discovered something going wrong with him too. It seemed like L had developed feelings which he was not supposed to have.  

“L, you are just confused.” Sung Yeol lied as he swallowed his saliva and focused back on the road.

“Maybe…” Myung Soo accepted his explanation and turned to face the window.

With that, Sung Yeol sped off to their headquarters.

“Lie down.” Sung Yeol instructed.

After L laid down on the metal table, Sung Yeol pressed the remote button which immediately shut L down. Connecting complicated wires from L to his lap top, Sung Yeol activated the ‘reformatting’ programme.  After a few hours, all the necessary procedures were done and with a press of one button, all the memories would be gone. Every single memory L shared with Hye Ri would be permanently erased. Sung Yeol’s finger had been hovering over that particular button for some time and he was still hesitant to press it. Then, Sung Yeol’s phone rang, interrupting him.

“Yes, I understand. I will get L ready soon.” Sung Yeol replied before hanging up.

He sighed and pressed on the button eventually. Seeing the progression bar load completely, he slouched back in his chair and looked at L.

“I am sorry, L.” He muttered under his breath apologetically.

Back in Hye Ri’s home…

Sitting before the unfinished breakfast, Hye Ri was bawling her eyes out. Their memories were flashing across her mind like an endless movie, stabbing at her heart again and again. She missed Myung Soo already. She knew clearly that everything was over even though she prayed otherwise. The house felt emptier out of a sudden. The familiar figure which lingered around the house disappeared. The cheerful voice which filled the house was gone. The boy who entered her life vanished as sudden as he came. She felt incomplete without him.

Grabbing the plate off the table, Hye Ri dumped the leftovers in the trash bin. Throwing the dirtied plate and cutlery in the sink, she turned the knob, letting the water flow. Gripping tightly on the sponge, she scrubbed at the ceramic plate real hard. However, the harder she scrubbed, the more tears fell out of her eyes. She was scrubbing with all her might as if scrubbing that hard would remove the trace Myung Soo left behind in her heart. Dropping the scrub, her legs buckled under her. With soapy hands and running water, she was sitting all alone in the lonely kitchen, crying her heart out.

The next morning, Hye Ri woke up at the ringing of her alarm. Stepping out of her room, she was looking for L but to no avail. It was then that she remembered he was gone. Everything seemed to return to how it was a month ago. Without her realizing, those tears escaped her eyes again. When she left the house, there was no one waving and anticipating for her return anymore.

After work, Hye Ri stepped into the familiar dreadful darkness. She missed the lights that were already on when she came home like last time. She missed the delicious dinner L would whip up for her. She missed Kim Myung Soo a lot, a lot. Switching on the lights, she scanned around the house hopefully. She was hoping for Myung Soo to pop up and shout “Surprise!” but that never happen…

For the next few days, Hye Ri began to miss Myung Soo more and more. She tried dialing the emergency hotline given at the start of the trial but to no avail. The lines were always engaged and there seemed to be absolutely no way to contact Myung Soo. He had vanished from the face of Hye Ri’s world as if he had never been part of it.

That night, a cockroach crawled across the living room and scared the hell out of Hye Ri. She jumped onto the sofa and was screaming her lungs out.

“MYUNG SOO!! HELP!!! COCKROACH!! MYUNG SOO!!KILL IT!!” She screamed over and over again but there was no response.

Then, something struck her. She had forgotten that Myung Soo was not around, again. She was still not used to the disappearance of Myung Soo. Maybe a small part of her refused to forget him. Maybe a small part of her was still hoping he would return one day. Like a kid who believed in fairy tale, she trusted that Myung Soo would reappear.

Standing on the busy street, Hye Ri wrapped the scarp tightly around her neck. She shivered a little as she wrapped her cold fingers around the warm cup of coffee. There were many couples walking hand in hand, passing by her. They all looked so blissful, reminding Hye Ri that she was once like them, one year back. Smiling bitterly, she continued her walk alone. Her best friend, Soo Yeon had righteously ditched her for Sung Gyu on this special occasion, Valentine’s.

Then, Hye Ri spotted someone. She was certain she did not see the wrong person. The cup of coffee in her hand dropped and fell to the ground. The paper cup smashed and the coffee in it spilled on the floor. Ignoring the mess, she ran towards the guy. Although his fashion sense had changed, she was sure she did not recognize the wrong person.

“Myung Soo! Kim Myung Soo!” Hye Ri shouted as she ran as quickly as she could.

*Command: Someone shouting loudly in your direction means she is calling you.

Turning around, L looked at Hye Ri who was running in his direction. Before he could react, Hye Ri had flung her arms around him. Hugging him tightly, she broke into tears. Those longing, those hopes and those wishes for him to return came true. Then, L placed his hands on Hye Ri’s shoulders, breaking the hug. It was the same familiar warmth emitting from his palm. She missed his touch. He then stared straight into Hye Ri’s eyes.

“Miss, do we know each other?” He asked, confused.

“My-myung Soo, what… what…are you saying?! I… I… am Hye Ri!” Hye Ri replied in shock.

“Umm… I am sorry. I am not the Myung Soo you know. My name is L and I don’t know you. I am sorry, I got to go. My girlfriend is waiting for me already.” He said simply before walking off.

Hye Ri stood there, baffled. That was not the reunion she dreamt of all the time. Myung Soo was supposed to tell her ‘I miss you’ or ‘I will stay with you forever’. He was not supposed to forget her just like that and treat like some random stranger on the street. Hye Ri was about to run forward and confront Myung Soo when she saw an unknown girl link arms with him intimately.

She stood rooted to the ground as she saw the couple smile sweetly at one another before leaving right before her eyes. He did not remember her anymore. At the end of the day, he was just a product which got its memory erased and loaned to a new client. He was no longer her robotic boyfriend but someone else’s.

“You are Kim Myung Soo, my robotic boyfriend… Not hers.” Hye Ri mumbled as a silent tear fell with the pull of gravity.


Author's Note:
This is the end to 'My Robotic Boyfriend'...
Thank you so much to every single one of you who supported this fic till the end !(,:
I enjoyed writing this one and sincerely hope you guys actually enjoyed reading :D
The ending did not turn out as sad as I wanted but still hope you all liked it ^^
I know most of you wanted a happy ending but this ending was actually fixed since the start so yea :X
Hope you people will leave me a last comment before exiting this page!
Love new subbies too ;)
Thanks for reading 'My Robotic Boyfriend' ! <3