Reunion

Secret - The Sin

One week had passed. Ara was still thinking about the proposal. She liked him but she didn't feel right. She didn't deserve it. Curse was upon her, forever. She vowed that happiness should not be part of her life. She tortured herself or else she could not breath with the heavy guilt on her heart. Shaking off the thoughts, she continued doing her work at her desk.

Today she replaced Heera, her colleague. Her shift finished on 10 o'clock in the evening. The clock showed 9.15 p.m. Everyone already got off work except for her. Well it was weekend. Everyone wanted to go home early, spending time with their family. And because Ara was one of the unmarried employee, they begged her to work overtime. Yebin the Medusa already disappeared at 8 o'clock. 
Beep. Beep. A notification popped up. She glanced at her phone on the desk. The lady frowned, showing all hee wrinkles on the forehead as soon as she saw the sender name. Impossible. She was so awestruck.

 

Yoo Youngjae?


Without two thinks, the lady rushed out of the clinic, scanning the dark surrounding. As she was looking around, suddenly a hand with a handkerchief covered and the other hand was hugging her tight from behind. Chloroform. She sniffed the scent of the strong chemical a bit. Ara tried to hold her breath and break free uselessly. She couldn't hold it any longer and defeated by the strong chloroform scent.


Ara woke up from being unconscious for hours. Everything was dark. Her eyes was covered with a dark cloth, blinding her vision and her body was tied with a rope. She could not move. She tried to break free, again, that was useless. As she was struggling, trying to untie the rope, a scent rose up the room. She knew this smell. 


"Y-youngjae??", she opened , shattering the silence. 


Silence.


"Is that you?-- Yoo... Y-youngjae?", she said again, stuttering.


No answer.


Then a cold fingers gripped her chin tightly, hurting her jaw. Ara trembled in fear. She clenched her teeth, bearing the pain. The finger then caressed her cheeks, touching her lips. This time she was completely frozen. This scent was really Youngjae's scent.


A minute later, the bound on her body was released. The man then untied the black cloth covering her eyes. Ara opened her eyes slowly. She startled by the familiar face an inch away from her.


"It's me..", he said with a grin on his face. Ara moved back, that face was the face she tried to forget for three good years.


Creak. The door was opened from outside and someone else entered the room, approaching them. Jung Daehyun? Youngjae laughed his heart out upon seeing Ara confuse face. What's going on.


Daehyun sighed heavily, shaking his head. "I told you not to pull that kind of prank on her", he sat in front of her.


Youngjae chuckled a bit. "It's fun", he replied curtly, rose up.


"You okay Ara-yah?", Daehyun asked the lady. She was still not in her right state of mind and was staring at the figure of her suppose-to-be dead friend. "Sorry. We could not get any better idea to bring you here".


Ignoring Daehyun, the lady stood up and walked weakly towards Youngjae. "Y-you are alive", she mumbled. Tears started to accumulate in her eyes' pools. Youngjae stepped back as she was approaching him. Ara smiled widely and tears started streaming down her cheeks. The lady hugged her friend tightly and buried her face on his chest. She was crying her heart out. Daehyun just sighed at the sight of the crying girl.


"I-I'm sorry Youngjae-yah.. I'm so sorry", she wailed in between sobs. 


"Yah, let me go. You are choking me", the guy tried to push her away but her grip became stronger. 


"I'm sorry", she said again.


Youngjae patted her back reluctantly. "Alright Ara-yah. I get it. Now, let me go. You are really choking me now", he said again.


Ara released her hug and gazed at the small face in front of her. "But-- what happened to you? That night----?", Ara asked out of curiosity. Now, she changed her look at Daehyun.


"It's a long story. Daehyun saved me that night",Youngjae answered her.


"But why are you in hiding. Shouldn't you report to cop. You are a missing person, Youngjae-yah", Ara told him.


"That night---- There is someone else. Not Jaebum. I was just playing a joke with Jaebum but after that. Someone stabbed me", Youngjae explained.


"What!!", the lady spoke up in awestruck.


Daehyun stepped in. "I went to see Clairre the other day, but they said she was found dead. Suicide. But--"


"But I don't think it was a suicide. The police didn't even allow us to see her and her body was send to forensic right after they found her. It was really weird"


"You mean-- she was murdered? No no that was impossible. Clairre--", Ara denied the situation.


"That's why I'm in hiding. I afraid that the killer will come to me again if he know I survive"


"What do you mean by he?"


"That night.. he stabbed me in the kitchen and dragged me into the room. Girl couldn't do that", Youngjae said again.


Youngjae then explained everything he remembered that day. When he returned to the guesthouse together with Jaebum, Daehyun and Clairre, Youngjae when to his room and got his fake knife. He then go to Jaebum's room to brag about the knife. He asked Jaebum to try on him, planning to prank Daehyun later but then when Jaebum stabbed him, blood came out from Youngjae stomach. Well it wasn't blood. It was just tomato sauce that Youngjae put there. Jaebum quickly ran outside to get the others. Then Youngjae ran to the kitchen to clean up and there he was stabbed twice by a man in a hoodie. He didn't get to see the face because everything was so dark.


After he told her everything, the guy went outside to get some fresh air. He was almost getting killed that night but the fact that both his childhood friends, Jaebum and Clairre, abandoning him really hurted him. And now that Clairre was gone and Jaebum disappeared without a word. Daehyun approached the lady and took a seat next to her.


"So, are we good now", he started the conversation.
Ara smiled weakly. "Uhm. Why you don't tell me about this sooner. Last week, why did you even say that--", she stopped for a second. "--3 years Daehyun-ah. It's hard". Ara lowered her head, breathing deeply.


"I tried but you never give me a chance. That day, I was just testing you. I'm sorry I should've told you sooner. You suffer enough", he replied, patting his friend's back. Ara gave him a small smile. At least the guilt she bore for this past three years already disappeared. 


"So where is he staying now. You stayed at your dorm right?", Ara asked him.


Daehyun nodded. "Here and there. But Ara-yah .. Do me a favor. Can't you let him stay with you for the time-being. You live alone right?", he begged.


"Okay then. For the time-being. How did you know?--"


Daehyun smiled again. "I met your mom last month. She told me", Daehyun explained. Ara nodded weakly.


"Let's go. I drive your car here. Can you send me to the dorm. I have a schedule tomorrow morning. My manager would go to the dorm later. I need to be there by 4 a.m.", Daehyun asked again, begging for her mercy.


Ara chuckled. "Well.. It's an honor to drive a superstar. Why not", she told him, joking around. They burst into a laughter. Meanwhile, Youngjae was leaning to the wall, outside, listening to his friend's conversation. He smiled warmly. "At least I have you guys", he muttered under his breath.