Blind date

Secret - The Sin

The sun already rose and shined. Ara woke up to a beautiful morning, opening her room’s window. The fresh air blew onto her face, brushing away all the problems. The clock showed 7 a.m. 


Beep. Beep. The 25-years-old lady phone vibrated twice. She checked the notification and sighed softly. Seriously mom. 

Ara had a blind date today thanks to her mom generosity to find her one. Kim Jinwoo. The name of her blind date. According to her mom, the guy had a stable job and also an eye candy. That's why her mom was so eager to set them up. Later, she took the fluffy-navy towel hanging on the toilet door and entered the shower when the mirror started to steam. So cold.


15 minutes later, the lady came out of the shower, singing to her favourite song, ‘Goodnight Kiss’. Yeah she knew it was early in the morning but the song was just so great. Ara opened her favourite raspberry lotion from Etude House. The overpowering scent of raspberry filled her sense.‘What should I wear today?’. She approached the wardrobe and slid it. Hmm. She reached out  a white-black-grey blouse, the one she got during her trip to London last year.


After blow-drying her hair, Ara applied her  basic routine makeup. CC cream, a little pink lipgloss and eye makeup. Perfect. She took her phone, purse and threw it into her clutch handbag. She prefered clutch rather than handbag.


Entering the modern-urban café's compound, she parked her Sedan car next to a black SUV. She checked herself in the mirror for one last time before sliding out of the car and stepped into the café searching for a guy, named Kim Jinwoo. 


As her eyes were scanning across the café, a man sitting by the end of the room caught her attention. Everyone was there with partners or colleagues. The tall guy was sitting at a table alone. He was looking at the menu and half of  his face was covered by the menu book. Inhaling a big air into her lung, calming her nerve, Ara approached the man.


"Kim Jinwoo-sshi?", she opened . She stood in front of the table peering down the guy who had his face covered by the menu.


The fine-looking man looked up and their eyes met. "Choi Ara--", he replied but the guy stopped as their eyes met.

Again, fate was playing a trick on both of them. Ara was taken back by the figure infront of him. Unbelievable.


"Liutenant Kim--", she muttered under her breath.
3 years ago, the man before her eyes was the one in charge of her friend's missing case. They stayed speechless for a few seconds before the man asked her to have a seat. Ara awkwardly pulled the chair and sat across him.


"Ara-sshi. It has been a while right?", he initiated the conversation after a fiddly pause.


Ara nodded and smiled at him sweetly. "It has been awhile Liutenant Kim--", she replied but the guy quickly cut her words.


"Jinwoo. You can call me Jinwoo-sshi. I'm not here as a cop", he said, gazing at her.


"Okay Liuten-- Sorry --I'm already used to it. Jinwoo-sshi", she said again. They laughed delightly. Ara finally rest assured a bit. She was nervous by the fact he was the one to investigate Youngjae's case previously. But now she felt a little ease. He was friendly after all.


Jinwoo called the waiter and ordered the light brunch for both of them. "We'll have.. Lasagna and Banana Pudding Pancakes .. An--d Ara-sshi you want--". The girl was judging him for awhile already from her seat. She startled a bit but she controlled her expression with a big smile. "Uhm--".
Jinwoo just grin warmly. "You want --Caramel Machiato?", he continued. 


"Vienna please. Cold", she answered curtly. Jinwoo raised his eyebrows slightly by her liking and gave the menu books to the waiter. "I'll have charamel machiato"

Silence again. They glanced at each other and the surrounding, waiting for the meals. After a minute, Jinwoo cleared his throat. He wanted to say something. "Uhm, so... How are you doing lately?", he spoke up. Without tearing his gaze, he stared at her. 


"I'm working at a clinic. As an Optometrist. It has been awhile already", she said. He nodded. "You?-- still the same?", now was her turn to ask him.
The guy in white nodded his head again but with a bright smile on his face. She was mesmerized everytime he smiled. It was very warm and soothing kind of smile. "But I transfer to Mapo last year.. As a patrol officer", he said again.


"Mapo? That was near my rented house. I live in Mapo too. Near Hongdae", Ara told him. The conversation started to go on smoothly. They talked about their current life, hobbies, work, and even family. Apparently Jinwoo lived with his family near Honggik University since his parents were the professor there and he was the only son. 


They ate elegantly and talked a bit more. They laughed a lot and no more awkwardness air surrounded them. Both of them had a lot of common. 


"Then Ara-sshi, what do you think of me? As a date for today", Jinwoo blurted out after sometimes. 
Ara thought for a while and aswered. "Actually. The truth is when I see you before, you seem so cold and annoying. Remember-- you come to see us, every single day. It was tiring-- really--", she tried to arrange her word. "-- but now that I see you dress up plus in a 'normal clothing', you are such an eye candy too".


He just laughed by her answer, didn't expect her to be so frank. They already finished eating and have a small talk.


"You driving?", Jinwoo spoke up.
"Yup. I drive today", she said.
The guy paused for a moment before continued, "Next time I'll pick you up. So you don't have to drive".
What? Ara's eyes became wide. 'Did he just asked me for a second date'. 
"O-okay", she said in a low voice. They went out of the café, walking towards the parking lot. The black SUV was the man's car. After saying goodbye, they went their separate ways. They even came up with "date first, decide later". Jinwoo suggested that they should go on three date first before deciding to continue going out or not. The lady agreed to it considering her mother really wanted both of them to go out together.