The Decision

Secret - The Sin

A black SUV stopped in front of Daehan Cinema. The building looked like a modern multiplex with flood lights illuminating giant posters advertising the mix of Hollywood blockbusters and mainstream Korean films that played on its seventh floor. 


"Jinwoo-sshi, are we going to watch movie here?”, Ara asked.


He smiled and said, ”Yup, but before that let’s grab a coffee first”. 


They took the elevator to the 8th floor of Daehan Cinema and finally the door was opened. Wow, a lot of people was up there. Such a beautiful rose garden. Sky Rose Garden. There’s many types of roses up here. Fantastic. 


“I’ll buy you coffee.. You wait here for a while”, he said and disappeared among the crowd.


It’s almost 6 o’clock. The evening was so beautiful and a hush fell over everyone as the sinking sun turned the sky brilliant shades of gold. Woahhh… A minute later, Jinwoo came back with a cup of coffee. He gave the coffee to Ara. 


She looked at him, frowning. “Yours?”, the lady asked.


“I don’t really drink coffee”, he said, putting a gum into his mouth and chewing it. Actually, since this afternoon, she noticed he kept chewing on something. He must be really love the gum candy so much. A cop without coffee was a no no. She shook the thought lingering in her mind and continued enjoying the scenery.


Watching the sunset from atop of the building, surrounding with beautiful roses was a breathtaking experience ever. Once the sun dipped behind the city, it was entirely different scene. The sky suddenly was like a painting with streaks of pinks, oranges and purples. She sneaked a glance at Jinwoo. He couldn’t keep his eyes away from the spectacular sunset moment. But his mouth was still busy chewing the gum. ‘Thank you'. They took the elevator down to the cinema. She told him that she need to use a toilet and made her way there. 


“Okay Hyemi-yah, Don't panic. I'll be there”. That's the only thing she heard before the guy hung up his call. He apologized to her repeatedly because something came up at work and he had to leave now. He asked her to take a cab home. Apparently a rookie officer at his station hurted herself during patrol. After that, he rushed down the stair and left her. Did something bad happen? 


It was a little passed 9 when Ara's phone singing inside her bag. She just finished watching a movie, alone and was walking around the sidestreet.


The lady hesitated to answer the phone at first but she finally gave up because the ringing never stopped.


"Hello"
"Hi there-- where are you?",Jinwoo asked. "-- Are you still outside". The guy asked again after hearing loud noise of cars from the street. He sounded worried.
"I watch the movie. That's why-- I will just have a quick meal around here and go home later", she replied him, chuckling softly. 


Silence.


"Are you-- alone", he asked again.
Ara . "My date ditch me -- well here I am, alone"
Silence again.
"S-sorry-- ", he stammered his word.
The lady let out a heavy sigh. "I'm a bit upset but that's your work. I can understand that much---", she told him with a half smile. "--it's okay".


She walked further, still talking with him on the phone until he finally asked the question she had been waiting for. Well today was their 3rd date. She halted her pace.


"Ara-sshi .. remember that day we said we will decide after the 3rd date .. Uhm--- today---"
"Today is our 3rd date right? You want me to tell you first or--", Ara cut him.  
"Let's meet again one more time. Today--- let's not make today one--", he spurted bravely.


Ara was stunned for a second. What! She didn't know how to respond. Honestly her answer was 'it was better for us to go with our usual life. Let's put a stop'. But listening to his words made her slightly wavered. "A-are you serious?", she mumbled.


"I'll make up for today. I'm so sorry Ara-sshi. I promise I'll make up for today.", Jinwoo pleaded eagerly. He sounded very serious. The lady started walking again and she chuckled in disbelief.

Honestly this was the first time she went to a second and third date with someone. She never expected to go on the next date though. After some thinking, she agreed to go out one more time before they made a decision.


From distance, a din voice of young girls screaming out their lung startled Ara. Jinwoo was still on the phone. "Ara-sshi--- what happened there?", he asked in concern. 


Ara looked at the crowd not far from her. "Seems like there is artist here. A guerilla date maybe--", she replied, not very sure. "--okay then, let's meet again later. I need to go", Ara added. Her stomach was grumbling for a while already, begging for food. They hung up and the lady walked passing by the crowd. 


As she was walking in the crowd, her eyes made an eye contact with the artist in the crowd centre. They looked at each other for a moment. Ara's eyes was as wide as his eyes. Jung Daehyun. Daehyun became a singer after appearing on Duet Song Festival a year ago. His fame rose pretty quick after the broadcast and now he signed up under an entertainment company. 


She quickly avoided his eyes and walked away, entering a cafe nearby. She let out a gust of warm air. She almost forgot everything about that night but now that she saw the familiar face, her guilt emerged again. Shaking her head, removing the dark thoughts, she went to the counter and order some waffles and hot chocolate.