Epilogue 2: When Spring Comes

Day or Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A gasp broke from the girl’s lips as she woke up with a start. The view of her room ceiling as well as the familiar low whirring from the air conditioner soothed her slightly, slowing her frantic heartbeat. But what truly calmed her was the sight of the angelic presence by her side, as well as the peaceful face. Her lover, her fiancée, Seungwan.

Their room was dimly illuminated by the night lamp but Joohyun could see her lover’s features so clearly, features which she had committed to memory since a long time ago. Fifteen minutes passed by as Joohyun watched her Seungwan sleep and she would have watched her longer if she did not recall that she had left something undone.

Sighing, Joohyun climbed out from her bed and left the room. Firing up her workstation, Joohyun was relieved to locate the spreadsheet she had been working on earlier in the day. After doing a final eyeball check, she attached the file into an email and clicked the send button. She waited. True to her anticipation, a reply email came back requesting for a final confirmation. Pursing her lips, Joohyun typed a quick reply and pressed send again.

It was 3:16 a.m. This was the life of an investment banker. Irene breathed out yet another sigh before shutting down her workstation.

Knowing that sleep would not come so easily, Joohyun poured herself a glass of whiskey as she made her way for the balcony. It has been slightly over two years since they bought this apartment which overlooked the city in the center of Seoul. A night breeze blew by, not too chilling for it was midsummer. Summer… A smile played over Joohyun’s lips. Soon, Autumn would arrive, Winter would follow and before they knew it, it would be Spring once more.

The sliding glassdoor to their balcony was opened. Throwing a backward glance to the figure who was rubbing the sleep out of her eyes and stifling a yawn, Joohyun felt her heart melting.

“Why are you up?” Joohyun asked.

“Because I wanted to ask you the same,” Seungwan returned, a drowsy smile on her face as she took the glass of whiskey from the marble table top and drank it.

Seungwan was so adorable as she squeezed her eyes shut tightly before reopening them and focused her gaze on Joohyun.

“Enjoying the night breeze,” Joohyun said.

Narrowing her eyes, Seungwan angled her head to the left a little. “Sure it is not because you forgot to send some important email?”

Joohyun’s heart thumped and her cheeks were flushed red, more from embarrassment than from the alcohol. Seungwan had drained the whiskey from the glass as a cunning smile spread across her face.

“W-Well… yes, perhaps,” Joohyun replied as she snatched the glass back from Seungwan and refilled it from the decanter.

Seungwan’s pair of slender arms wound around her waist and she rested her chin on Joohyun’s shoulder. A chill went down Joohyun’s back as Seungwan blew softly at her ears.

“I thought I was in my dreams when I heard a gasp. Guess it wasn’t a dream after all,” Seungwan whispered sensually into Joohyun’s ears, sending another series of tendrils down Joohyun’s body.

“I…”

Before Joohyun could reply, Seungwan had turned Joohyun around and Joohyun found herself nestled snugly within Seungwan’s embrace, her head buried in the crook Seungwan’s neck

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter