Chapter 18: Tower of Love

Day or Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 18: Tower of Love

Joohyun was considering if she should be dramatic and storm out of the café right there and then but alas she did not. Still, Joohyun was satisfied for the first time upon seeing Seungwan panic. Good, Wendy Son Seungwan, you deserved it…

Seungwan knew Joohyun was mad at her and honestly, she thought she deserved it too for she had not given the President a proper reply to her question. They had finished their breakfast in silence and left the café immediately after. No words had passed between them during that time and now, they were just walking around aimlessly along the streets. Then, Seungwan had an idea on how to placate her President.  

Namsan Tower.

Seungwan smiled to herself as she made a bold grab for Joohyun’s hand. The elder girl let out a surprised gasp and tried swatting away Seungwan’s hand but the younger girl held on firmly. Mustering her bravest, cheekiest smile as Seungwan, she said, “follow me, President. Let’s be more spontaneous today.”

“W-What?!” Joohyun asked but before she could clarify, she was dragged along by Seungwan and found themselves in a cable car half an hour later. It was also during this cable car ride that Seungwan had found out that their President was terrified of heights, really terrified.

Joohyun had clung onto Seungwan so tightly and squeezed her eyes shut so hard that fine lines had appeared around her eyes. By the end of the short ride, Seungwan felt as though the circulation to her forearm had been cut off completely. To Seungwan, it was a good realisation, because it made her President seem not so perfect after all. Seungwan decided that she would allow for Joohyun to latch on as tightly to her as long as they were together.

“H-Have you been here before?” Seungwan asked the President who had become slightly mellower after the cable car ride but was still moody.

Joohyun shook her head in reply.

“Me neither,” Seungwan gave a sheepish smile and offered her hand for Joohyun to take.

The President looked around warily. Seungwan wondered if the President was worried about other people’s thoughts about them. With a bit of disappointment, Seungwan was about to retract her hand but Joohyun had taken it in the last minute. Seungwan beamed at the President but Joohyun’s face remained uncertain as she beckoned Seungwan to proceed with her plans.

Seungwan guided Joohyun even though she was not so familiar around the area herself. Joohyun could not even keep up her madness for long watching Seungwan looking perplexed as she figured her way around and doubting the people whom she was following.

“Are we just going to follow the rest?” Joohyun asked, trying to sound as bored as possible but in actual fact, she already knew what Seungwan had in store for them.

“Up this flight of stairs,” Seungwan said with a tinge of uncertainty.

Joohyun might not have been in serious relationships before but she had heard enough to know where they were heading towards.

Cluttered with locks of all shapes, sizes, and colours, the pair could not help but look around a little. The sight lifted Joohyun’s moods as well as she imagined their locks amongst them. Joohyun felt almost entranced as she was drawn over to the myriad of locks and looked over as many as she could read.

‘I love you’, ‘together forever’, ‘143’ were amongst the most common phrases Joohyun saw. There were some really long ones too but Joohyun thought it might be a little impolite of her to read those and so she skipped it. Seungwan had followed her wherever she had wandered off to, keeping quiet the entire time, like a really patient partner. Partner… Joohyun sighed.

“I’m sorry… I didn’t bring one… Let’s return with our own locks next time o-or we could buy it,” Seungwan said apologetically.

Joohyun’s mouth involuntarily curved into a smile at Seungwan’s words. Our love locks… The thought of it made her so happy she wished they could do it immediately. Then, Joohyun remembered that she was supposed to still be angry with Seungwan and wiped off her smile immediately. Too late, Seungwan had seen it.

“Next time,” Joohyun replied curtly.

 

Seungwan winced a little but did not take those words to heart. After all, Joohyun was still slightly mad at her.

“Joohyun, let’s take a seat over there,” Seungwan said with a smile as she pointed to an oddly-shaped bench, slightly bent in the middle. A gust of cold wind had caught Joohyun rather unguarded and she trembled slightly.

Seungwan attended to Joohyun’s needs immediately by reaching into her backpack and pulled out the blue leather jacket she always had with her. Joohyun wanted to refuse the very-loud looking outerwear but was too cold to do it.

After helping Joohyun into it and ensuring she was feeling warm, Seungwan started speaking. “I told Chanyeol many times that I do not love him. Never once did I have romantic feelings for him,” Seungwan confessed.

Joohyun’s body stilled.

“He said it was okay and just wanted to be by my side. Since we were childhood friends I really did not want things to turn out too ugly between us, especially since our families were really close… and knowing my parents, they would likely match me up with someone when the time comes… so I just left things as they were…”

It was then Joohyun started realising just how much different their family environment was and she bit her lips. Seungwan belonged to a very wealthy family whilst Joohyun was… someone from a very ordinary farming family and that set them their beginnings worlds apart from each other. Seungwan must have sensed that thought but did not say anything.

To dissipate the feelings of uneasiness that had been wedged between them, Seungwan got up from the bench and started walking again. Joohyun cursed herself for letting her discomforts show so easily and followed swiftly. Now she had no reason to be mad at Seungwan because the girl had been honest with her.  

They soon reached the base of the tower. They passed by many attractions but skipped all of it and headed straight for the peak of the architecture. The ride up the elevator was made in complete silence as well but when they finally reached the top, both girls could not help but gawk at the scenery before them.

“S-So beautiful,” Joohyun sputtered out and Seungwan nodded stupidly in agreement.

Joohyun, who was afraid of heights, dared not look go to close to the edge. Seungwan noticed it and debated with herself if she should guide the girl, eventually she did it. Sliding her hand naturally into Joohyun’s cold and tiny one, Seungwan led the girl to have a better look at the cityscape through the telescope. It was apparent that Joohyun was slightly reluctant to go too far out and Seungwan soon turned to enveloping Joohyun from the back, coaxing her along and pushing her a little. It must have looked odd to others because they found several pairs of eyes on them.  

Seungwan, uncomfortable with the attention on them, almost broke away their contact but this time round, it was Joohyun who clung onto her arms. “I don’t want you to mind them, they will ignore us soon enough,” then in a softer voice, she said, “b-better stay close to me, if not my legs might buckle.”

A small smile finally broke on Seungwan’s face and she leant her body closer against Joohyun, holding her securely within her arms. Upon seeing the uplift of Joohyun’s cheeks from her side view, Seungwan guessed that her President must be smiling as well. True to Joohyun’s words, Seungwan found that those pairs of staring eyes upon them had veered away. Adjusting a vacant telescope to Joohyun’s eye level, Seungwan goaded the elder girl to look into it and got the pleasure of hearing Joohyun’s excited squeals.

“Oh my god! I can see the entire city! Seungwan, Seungwan, look!”

Seungwan laughed as Joohyun turned the telescope towards her and urged the girl to have a go as well. Seungwan did and her jaws indeed fell slightly as she was treated to the magnificent view of the city.

Such a feeling was heavenly, to be able to enjoy the view with Joohyun, the person whom she… loves… It was also then that Seungwan could finally understand Joohyun’s annoyance with her because they had not stated what their relationship actually was, which was really similar to things between herself and Chanyeol. However, the girl decided to push all those thoughts to the back of her mind and simply focused

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter