Chapter 35: Illusory

Day or Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy had realised that Jisoo and Jennie seemed very unwilling to accept jobs as of late claiming that they were busy. However, as far as Wendy knew, they were far from being busy and goaded them to pick up the performance in three days’ time. Jisoo had agreed with some reluctance and that made Wendy wonder why.    

Additionally, Wendy had detected that Joohyun had been exceptionally quiet that night and slightly jittery. Wendy had been teaching Joohyun a few new chords but her girlfriend was either too preoccupied with whatever was on her mind or became jumpy when Wendy tried to get her attention. Something was definitely wrong and Wendy sensed it.

“Joohyun, is there something on your mind?” Wendy asked directly.

“No, nothing,” Joohyun denied almost instinctively.

Wendy narrowed her eyes and supported her girlfriend’s cheek with a hand. “Really?”

Joohyun seemed to finally relent and blew out a gust of air. “Fine. I was worried about my upcoming internship.”

That jostled Wendy slightly. “My feisty girlfriend, the mighty club President, leader of a winning pitch team, worried about an internship?”

Joohyun slapped Wendy’s arm immediately, clearly annoyed at being addressed as such. Wendy however was obviously enjoying it and bellowed out in laughter. It made her feel relieved, at least Joohyun was worried about normal and mundane things now, like a typical university student and not about having to deal with crazy, authoritative families. Wendy relished in this freedom that was afforded to them.

 

Joohyun never felt so bad about lying to Wendy but the laughter from Wendy was all she could ever ask for. Thoughts and worries about having to meet Mr Son behind her girlfriend’s back soon faded away. Wendy had been living so free-spiritedly in the past week and she would not want to shatter the girl’s moods.

“Stop laughing, I am really worried okay.”

“Okay, okay,” Wendy cooed and wrapped her arms around Joohyun’s waist. “You will do fine, don’t worry. Even if you don’t, I will make sure to keep you alive and bring home the bread and butter.”

Joohyun slapped Wendy again. “I don’t want to be fed by you, I mean not literally… I want to work on my own and be self-sufficient.”

“Yes, yes, my strong, independent girlfriend,” Wendy said.

Joohyun kissed Wendy on her neck. “Don’t indulge me too much. What if I get spoilt by you?”

With a raised and semi-furrowed brow, Wendy asked, “what is wrong with being spoilt by me? Aren’t girlfriends meant to be spoiled? Nothing is going to stop me from spoiling my lovely girlfriend.”

Joohyun stuck out her tongue. “Are rappers all naturally so cheesy?”

“You mean good with words?” Wendy countered. “Anyway, my dear Joohyun, do share with me your worries, I will listen to you and let you pour out any grievances you might have.”

Joohyun nodded and snuggled back into Wendy’s embrace. “I love you, my understanding girlfriend, my cool rapper, the best pitch-giver in my eyes.”

Wendy scowled back and Joohyun giggled. “A taste of your own medicine, my dear.”

Joohyun wished they could be like this forever, taunting one another and sharing happiness between themselves. She loved just how they could be so easy with each other and it felt like they have been together for a very long time.

 

Their alone time was soon interrupted by the arrival of the rest of the Blue Vanguards’ members for a belated celebrated of the end of their finals. Rose had entered noisily with midnight snacks whilst Jennie and Jisoo brought drinks; alcoholic ones for the majority and non-alcoholic ones for Joohyun.

It was a hearty affair with a pouting Rose. They had even extended their invitation to Joy and Seulgi who had marvelled at every single thing in the garage. Joohyun had warned them to not touch anything. Since it is the first time that Seulgi was introduced to the band members, she was mesmerised about every single thing and became even more excited when she learnt that Jennie could dance.

Lisa had joined in with them as well. Seulgi and Joy’s mouth nearly fell open at the revelation that Lisa was once part of Blue Vanguards. Things had been slightly awkward at the start until Rose playfully pointed out that Jennie owes Lisa a new guitar. To which Jennie had blushed a deep scarlet and confessed that she broke Lisa’s guitar out of spite, eliciting laughters of everyone. Jennie and Lisa had also come to a compromise that they would be honest about their past feelings towards one another to dispel anymore discomforts between them. It was for the best of everyone.

Joohyun laughed along with all of them. This was her picture perfect moment with all of her friends, girlfriend’s friends and her girlfriend, of them immersing in simple joys and just appreciating the presence of one another. Of course, it would have been even more complete if Taeyeon could make it but alas the young analyst was still too buried in work.

“Let’s toast to the end of the final semester!” Joy had yelled suddenly as they all raised their cups.

“And more time to date for our Joy,” Seulgi teased.

Joohyun chuckled along but it died soon after. The thought that such a blissful moment could not last suddenly crossed Joohyun’s mind as she remembered her upcoming meeting with Mr Son.

Joohyun then unknowingly recessed into a corner as the girls helped themselves to drink. As her most sensitive girlfriend, Wendy had naturally found her.

“Still worried about your internship?” Wendy asked as she took a long gulp from her beer bottle.

Her girlfriend’s voice had obtained a slight slur to them, likely because of the copious amount of alcohol she had drunk. Yet, the tinge of red on her cheeks made her look so adorable.

“Y-Yea…” Joohyun lied.

“Always worrying. Taeyeon was right to warn me about protecting you too.”

Panic stirred in Joohyun’s heart. “W-Why did Taeyeon say that?”

A lazy, lopsided smile graced Wendy’s face. “Because she knows you well. You are a worry-wart.”

Joohyun blew out a breath in relief. Glad that Taeyeon had not accidentally revealed to Wendy anything about her meeting with Mr Son.

“Taeyeon is always like that.”

“That is because she cares for you, like an elder sister. I feel like she is going to throttle me if I don’t treat you well,” Wendy joked, sloshing the drink in her bottle.

“She won’t be too rough towards you…” Joohyun had trailed off. It was then that Joohyun suddenly remembered that she could not watch Wendy’s upcoming performance. “Wendy, I have something to tell you.”

Wendy paused amidst taking another sip from the bottle. “What is it? Changing your mind about the likelihood of Taeyeon throttling me?”

“No… it’s just… I would not be able to watch your next performance, I have something to settle at home. It will just take a night,” Joohyun lied and had to look away from Wendy for the guilt she felt.  

Wendy, despite her tipsiness, still had worry reflected in her eyes. Holding Joohyun by her shoulder, Wendy asked, “is everything all right?”

Joohyun’s eyes darted about. “Yes, everything is alright, its just some household stuff that requires me to look through. Don’t worry about me.”

Wendy did not let up. “Sure you don’t want me to go back with you? I could cancel that performance.”

“And make you pay for the penalties? No way,” Joohyun tried to make it soun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter