Chapter 34: Misery

Day or Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie punched Chanyeol in the guts, hard. The tall man who was once her friend and almost gotten her into trouble crumpled to the ground. She was so done being at the receiving end of shocks. Earlier, she had received the scare that Wendy had gone missing and she almost thought that it was Bobby’s work. Jennie sagged in relief when Joohyun had told her that Wendy had been found, in their garage, safe and sound. Now, she would have to deal solely with Chanyeol.

“You ratted on Bobby?!” Jennie shrieked.

“It wasn’t me, it was Sehun and Jongin. They called in anonymously to report that there were cannabis dealings in the club.”

Jennie was in disbelief. Chanyeol had really gotten them into trouble after all. The painful bruise on her back was evident of it and it was only sooner or later that Bobby found out who had done it.

“How smart of them,” Jennie replied snidely. “Only if the authorities had half the mind to comb through other places as well. Now Bobby has narrowed the suspects to you and I. Fortunately, he did not have concrete evidence and was still lenient with me. Whatever it is, clear this up. Don’t drag me into this hole with you.”

Chanyeol shook his head. “I can’t. Sehun and Jongin made sure I would not go to the club ever again nor contact those guys, else, I would get in trouble.”

Jennie tried to resist the urge to batter the man and beat him into a pulp.

“Bobby already knows its you. So regardless of whatever you do, you can never escape. You caused them a lot of losses and you better own up to your mistakes.”

“I… what would they do with me?”

Jennie crossed her arms before her and shrugged. “Just recently a dude who got one of their guys into trouble ended up in the hospital. I don’t know the details but I guess he went into hiding just like you did. I would suggest you talk to Bobby while he is still cordial about things and before this thing gets too far.”

Chanyeol shook his head. “My parents cannot find out about this.”

Jennie stabbed a finger at Chanyeol’s chest. “I don’t care who finds out what. You got into trouble so you’ve got to face the music yourself. I have helped you enough. Clear up this yourself and don’t get me into trouble.” Jennie punctuated her words carefully before she left.

**

“I am still bitter about you rejecting my call last night.” Jisoo said with a pout

 “I told you I was in the washroom.” Jennie forced out a chuckle but immediately felt guilty.

“You didn’t even call me back immediately after,” Jisoo complained again.

Jennie wrecked her mind for a quick response, “that’s because I was taking a long time in the washroom.”

Jisoo’s lips tugged upwards into a smile. “Seriously… you are so full of Jennie.”

“That is why I took a long time in the washroom.” Jennie joked again.

“You haven’t been updating me about your solo performances recently. How were they?”

Jennie’s attention had drifted away for a moment and she was ill-prepared to deal with Jisoo’s question, “w-what about my solo performances?”

Jisoo’s brows furrowed. “The audience responses? You usually tell me about them.”

“Oh… they were… enthusiastic. Sorry, been a little busy with things, really slipped my mind.”

Jisoo looked unconvinced. “Are you getting tired of me already?”

Jennie’s eyes widened in panic. “No! I would never be tired of you! I am just… a little busy with applications and performances and…”

Guilt gnawed on Jennie’s conscience. She did not want to tell Jisoo for fear of causing the girl too much worry yet at the same time, she remembered the promise she had once made to Jisoo to not keep things from her.

Jisoo patted Jennie’s cheek with a smile. “I was just joking and I know you have been busy. Too busy to even follow up with Lisa. Anyway, I have asked Lisa out for dinner. Together with the rest of us.”

“Oh… when?”

“Lisa said she would be free some time next week or the week after. Maybe we should ask Wendy and Joohyun.”

“Sounds like a good idea,” Jennie said without much enthusiasm.

The two girls started practising on their instruments when Jennie started feeling the sore in her knuckles and her back. She then recalled about the happenings in the club. The uneasy feeling weighed on Jennie’s heart and the girl eventually could not resist not telling her girlfriend.

“Jisoo… actually I have something to tell you.”

“What is it?”

Jennie blew out a breath and prepared herself for what she was about to say, all in a single breath. “Jisoo… I am sorry I lied. I rejected your call because I was in the middle of a confrontation with Bobby. Chanyeol had landed them into trouble with the authorities and they were pretty aggressive towards me because they could not get hold of Chanyeol.

“After that, I called Chanyeol out. I punched Chanyeol hard in the guts and told him to settle this issue. I am sorry I did not tell you because I thought I could solve this problem myself but right now the guilt is freaking killing me.”

Jisoo’s mouth nearly dropped open and the electric guitar which was slung around her neck slipped from her hold at Jennie’s confession.

Yet, there was no anger in Jisoo’s eyes, only fear as she strode towards Jennie and held her girlfriend’s face in her hands.

“W-Where are you hurt?”

Jennie shook her head. “It’s not serious. They could not do anything about me.”

“I asked you where are you hurt?!” Jisoo’s voice was near a shriek and Jennie winced.

Pointing to her back, Jennie said. “They only slammed my back against the wall… I checked… there is just a patch of bruise and some soreness.”

Jisoo wasted no time and lifted Jennie’s shirt up for inspection. Jisoo drew in a deep breath when she saw the large mark of purple.

“You made it sound like a trivial injury!” Jisoo scolded and begin searching for the balm.

Jennie managed a weak smile. “Well… it is rather trivial and doesn’t hurt that much.”

Jisoo pressed onto the patch and Jennie had to hold in a squeal. “It doesn’t hurt that much?!” Jisoo scolded again.

As Jisoo rubbed balm onto Jennie’s injury, she could not stop muttering under her breath and Jennie’s narration of all the things that had transpired only made Jisoo more agitated.

“Should I tell Wendy, Jisoo? But I don’t want to worry Wendy yet. Not when she has her issues with her family now.”

Jisoo sighed heavily. “I think you shouldn’t tell Wendy yet too but if things really escalate further, you must tell her. I didn’t expect Chanyeol to get into such a hot mess. I thought so much better of him.”

Jennie was trying to reign in her anger. “He is... gosh… he is giving me unnecessary stress right now. I’ve got so many solo jobs over the few coming days and if he does not clear things up, Bobby is going to find me again.”

“Are you mad, Jennie Kim?! You are not going to the club alone ever again,” Jisoo screamed.

“We are not going to the club any time soon. Wendy isn’t feeling so well recently anyway as well so let’s take a break. From all of these, until things clears up.”

“Jisoo… but I still need my money…”

“Is money or your life more important?” Jisoo’s temper rose.

“Our lives are more important but Bobby really cannot do anything much with me. He cannot, its against their code; they won’t be able to fault me if I did not do them any wrong.”

“Okay, let’s just stay away until Bobby and his gang has stopped his pursuits on Chanyeol and you okay? I will ask the club owner to keep a lookout for us.”

“Okay.” Jennie nodded sadly, silently cursing Chanyeol for landing her into such a plight.

**

The week that followed had been peaceful until Joohyun met a roadblock, quite literally. It was Taeil and she immediately knew who had sent this roadblock. Rumour has it that Taeil had received a sudden internship offer from a smaller hedge fund recently, likely because st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter