Chapter 22: Lost in Your Eyes

Day or Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The couple stayed behind at the Han River after tucking Jennie into a cab. They enjoyed the night breeze with their backs against each other and hands interlaced together, Joohyun could not help but pray that this moment would last longer. At the same time however, she felt like they were an old couple even though it was not so long before they had known each other. So many things have transpired between them in that short span of time.

“I will be talking to Chanyeol right after our pitch competition. I have asked him out to iron out whatever is between us and I will… I will...”

Seungwan trailed off and seemed to have difficulties continuing. Pressing her back against Seungwan’s, Joohyun urged the girl with a squeeze of her hand. “You will what?”

“I will tell him about you… about us…”  

Joohyun worked to manage a reply but it was ineffective. She was unable to believe that Seungwan had thoughts of disclosing their relationship to the male.

“Seungwan, you don’t have to if it is difficult… I know how outrageous our relationship could sound like especially amongst the people in your social class.”

The people in your social class…

Those words came out sounding more unpleasant than Joohyun had intended. She did not mean to segregate Seungwan and her own social standing so distinctly but that was how it exactly was.

“We are not outrageous.” Seungwan said, the severity in her voice was so palpable that made Joohyun slightly disturbed.  

“P-President… I… I will make sure you won’t be harmed in any way. I will make sure of that. One thing that my sister abhorred when she was alive was how our parents wanted us to be treated differently but eventually… my sister still conformed to my parents’ wishes. It was something that I could never take lying down and… I resisted… even until now I will continue to resist. I may be a good daughter in appearance but I will still stand up against my parents and everyone else if that is what it takes to protect you.”

Joohyun leaned more deeply into Seungwan’s back and even tilted her head backwards. A smile of serenity graced her face as she absorbed every single word that Seungwan had uttered. Sooyeon’s influence on Seungwan was so perceptible that it made Joohyun’s heart tense a little but she was glad that Seungwan was facing up to things.

“Seungwan, you are amazing, do you know that?” Joohyun said from the bottom of her heart.

There was silence from Seungwan’s end for a few moments before the girl replied. “President, you told me that before. During our first night as roommates together.”

The smile on Joohyun’s face stretched wider accompanied by the warming of her heart because she remembered that night as well. “Of course, it felt like a long time ago but it really has not been that long you know?”

Seungwan chuckled and held Joohyun’s hand tighter. If not for the position they were in, Seungwan would have liked to kiss Joohyun on the forehead and bury her face in Joohyun’s neck.

They allowed themselves to be blanketed by the comfortable silence that came after. The night was chilly but its winds were rather gentle, like the moment they shared right now. Everything else was tossed to the back of their minds as they revelled in this tranquil moment. That moment was only broken when Seungwan felt Joohyun shiver and she became concerned.

“Joohyun, are you cold? Shall we go back soon?”

“Let’s stay out here for a little while more please…” Joohyun pleaded and Seungwan, being soft hearted as she was, gave in to Joohyun’s request.

Later, as they rode back to their dormitory, Joohyun had nearly fallen asleep, pillowed on Seungwan’s back with a sweet smile on her face.

**

After reading the contents of the message, Chanyeol slapped the phone back onto the bar top with its screen facing down.

“One Graveyard,” Chanyeol requested curtly.

Sehun who had been watching his friend order yet another potent drink raised his brow.

“I am going to assume that this has something to do with Seungwan?” Sehun asked rhetorically and got his confirmation when Chanyeol gave him a glare then ignored him.

Sehun shrugged. “Anyway, what am I going to do with you after you get dead drunk? Do you want to be sent home or what? I swear your parents are going to think that I am a bad influence.”

“No. Don’t send me home. Garage,” Chanyeol slurred.

Sehun sighed and agreed reluctantly.

“Sehun… do you think she is going to suggest a break up?”

Sehun lifted his brow briefly and looked away, trying to keep his thoughts to himself.

“One Graveyard,” the bartender set the pint glass of deadly alcohol mix before Chanyeol.  

Sehun shook his head as he observed Chanyeol drank eagerly from his glass, he could not believe that his buddy could have been so blind. If Sehun were to put it bluntly, Chanyeol could easily have been the biggest love fool of their generation. Seungwan was obviously never interested in the male and if Sehun sensed things correctly, the chances of that female rapper getting together with any one of her band mates are infinitely higher than that of Chanyeol’s.

“Too blind…” Sehun could not help but mutter under his breath as he took a sip out from his own glass of fruit juice.

“What did you say?” Chanyeol turned and glared at his friend angrily.

Shrugging as easily as he could muster, Sehun said, “nothing.”

“You obviously said something,” Chanyeol’s voice rose by a few decibels which caused the bartender to cast a wary glance at them.

Sehun returned the bartender’s glance with an apologetic look and which told the bartender that he would keep the situation in control. Chanyeol was truly drunk. Sehun held up both his hands defensively, careful to not irritate Chanyeol any further.

“Chill bro. You have been losing your temper a lot these few days. Would do us no good if we get into trouble now.”

The intoxicated male flared his nostrils and inhaled sharply before returning to mope about his predicament.

“Seungwan was not like that. She said she would be my bride when we were kids.”

Sehun was holding in the urge to roll his eyes and let out another sigh. “Yes, yes. Well… at least Seungwan isn’t avoiding you now right? At least she is willing to meet you and talk things out. Who knows? The talk might not have been so bad after all and at least you can give your parents an answer too.”

“I don’t know. I don’t know. She is becoming more and more distant from me. I am so afraid that she would really turn away from me.”      

“Chanyeol… all I can say is… you won’t know what she will say so just wait for it to happen.”

Chanyeol slammed his drink down on the bar top again, clenched his fist and worked his jaws. “She is going to break up with me.”

Sehun pursed his lips and patted his friend on his back to calm him. “Okay, okay. Even if she did, there will still be a long line of girls queuing up for you.”

“I only want Seungwan.” Chanyeol said stubbornly.

Sehun threw his hands up in defeat. “I give up, bro. Drink, drink all you want.”

**

Jennie was by the swings where Jisoo and herself had parted the last time and had been kicking at the ground idly when she heard approaching footsteps. Her eyes shone with anticipation as she turned to meet the person.

“You don’t seem like you are dying to me, so you must have sorted things out in your mind,” Jisoo began coldly.

Jennie blew out a gust of air as she faced Jisoo. “I was dying just a few days ago.”

Jisoo jaws tightened and she nearly lunged forwards to check on Jennie, but she had managed to hold back. Jennie would have snickered at Jisoo’s excessive worry but she knew it would ruin the mood and so she restrained herself too. Closing her eyes, Jennie recalled her conversation with Wendy. Jisoo was truly soft-hearted. Curse Wendy for being so accurate on things. Then her mind rewound back to that fateful day with Lisa and subsequently everything that happened after.

“W-What happened to you in the past few days?” Jisoo asked, unable to keep the worry out of her voice.

When Jennie had looked at Jisoo in the eyes, Jisoo darted her gaze away. Jennie decided to keep quiet.

“What happened?” Jisoo relented and asked again. “Did you do any stupid things?” Jisoo looked back and her brows furrowed as she asked.

Jennie nodded. “Very stupid things. I almost let you go…”

“Are you joking?! That was not funny at all Jennie, if you treat our relationship as a joke and have nothing else to say then I am leaving,” Jisoo said furiously and was about to stalk off before she felt Jennie ram into her back.

A grunt escaped from Jisoo’s lips and before she had the chance to turn around to rebuke the girl, Jennie had stolen the chance and spoke again.

“I love you, I love you, I love you,” Jennie said in succession.

“Jisoo… I… figure

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter