Chapter 29: Happier

Day or Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun was winding a lock of Seungwan’s hair around her finger when her girlfriend recalled something.

“Oh right… I forgot to tell you something earlier.”

“What is it?”

“I met my dad and apparently… he had sent someone down to watch our competition.”

A nerve jumped in Joohyun’s head and she perked herself up.

“And…?” Joohyun asked warily.

“His employees thought we did really well and… Donghae, one of our bankers thought you were exceptional.”

“Donghae?”

“Yes, he is a pretty famous short-seller in the industry. He suggested to my father to offer you an internship at Millennium. B-But I know you also have other offers so it is perfectly fine if you do not wish to take this up.”

“W-What?!” Joohyun asked, part in worry, part in surprise.

Throwing up her hands, Seungwan shook her head, “I totally had no part in this, I swear.”

Joohyun contemplated for a moment. “Millennium was my dream company but I guess… it feels a little weird to be working in my girlfriend’s family company right?”

Seungwan gave a shrug of uncertainty. “I don’t know, I am just afraid that it will be hard on you.”

“Hard? How?” Joohyun asked, her worry growing.

Seungwan then braced herself for Joohyun’s reaction as she said, “I plan to tell my parents about my gender preference and that I am in a relationship.”

As expected, Joohyun had jumped in surprise. “What?! You plan to what?”

“Tell my parents about us… i-is it too soon?” Seungwan asked uncertainly.

“I-I don’t know… let’s discuss about this later. Anyway, we should probably get up to meet Taeyeon. I can hear my phone buzzing.”

“Oh right… is it time already? Time passes so quickly when I am with you.” Seungwan exhaled a sigh.

**

“Another solo performance? Aren’t you working a little too hard?”

Jennie shrugged. “It is a short performance anyway. Besides, I thought I could prove to my parents that I could earn my own keep and pay a portion of my university fees.”

Jisoo laughed. “You are really taking this seriously.”

“Yeap.”

“Jisoo, can you throw some words for me to rhyme? Wendy doesn’t have time to practice rapping with me these few days. She is always busy with her girlfriend.”

Jisoo merely shook her head. “Of course she would be. They are just starting out, they will have many things to work out.”

“Yea, they do…” Jennie said and felt a weight settling on her height. It was a sense of foreboding but Jennie decided not to bring it up yet.

Later, Jisoo had thrown up several phrases for Jennie to rhyme and rap to but Jennie realised that she could not shake off that uneasy feeling which had not gone unnoticed by Jisoo.

“You are distracted,” Jisoo said.

“Yea… Sorry I . Haven’t done this in a while.” Jennie said with a sigh.

Jisoo jutted out her lower lip a little which made her look so cute that Jennie grinned. “What is bothering you?”

“I don’t know actually. Just now when we were talking about Wendy I suddenly had a sick feeling. I mean I am happy that Wendy has Joohyun as a girlfriend but I could not help but wonder if they would be happy together.”

Jisoo pursed her lips and her eyes fell a little, echoing Jennie’s concerns. “I know. I like Joohyun a lot too but I am not sure if she could endure… whatever there is to come for them. Actually when I first learnt about Wendy’s background, I was also semi-prepared to get into trouble with her family too.”

Jennie raised a brow. “My girlfriend indeed has a badass side to her as well.”

Jisoo chuckled. “Be serious.”

Jennie sighed again and laid down, pillowing her head on Jisoo’s lap. “And just when we thought things might become better after Wendy was done with Chanyeol. Guess not.”

“Right. And Jennie, do you remember the girl Taeyeon?”

“The pretty analyst? Yea, what about her?”

“She seems taken with Wendy.”

Jennie guffawed. “Yea I noticed too and Wendy’s President got dead drunk that night too because of jealousy right?”

Jisoo winced a little but still had her smile on as she recalled the happenings that night. “Yes. I could smell her jealousy from across the table. Joohyun is a really jealous girlfriend and feisty when she is drunk. Hopefully she would be able to face up to Wendy’s family. I would hate to think that their relationship would be ruined just because of Wendy’s background. Wendy deserves happiness.”

Jennie gazed up into her girlfriend’s eyes as those words were spoken. “Jisoo, you sound so sweet.”

Jisoo blushed. “I am just… saying what is on my mind.”

“Then your mind is beautiful.”

The colour on Jisoo’s face deepened. “And you are getting cheesier day by day.”

“I was just stating the truth too. You are right, Wendy deserves happiness so we would always be ready to be by her side when she needs us. We deserve happiness too and I promise if our parents should forbid, I would protect you too.” Jennie said with so much sincerity that it had rendered Jisoo speechless for a few moments.

Jisoo nodded. “I will protect you too.”

“Deal.” Jennie said and pinched Jisoo’s cheeks. “Anyway, I’ve tried contacting Lisa. She said she is busy studying for her finals. I guess she is still avoiding me but she does not sound that angry. Well… but I think we can meet her again, to have another pleasant conversation with each other.”

Jisoo gave a small smile. “That is good. Let’s meet her after her finals has ended. For now, you should go back home and rest early. You have been working so hard recently.”

Jennie refused. “But… this is home. With you.”

“Cheesy.”

“But you like it.”

“Yes, I do.”

The two had no idea when or how every single conversation ended up with them kissing but they enjoyed it. Jennie made sure to send Jisoo back home first before she returned home herself.  

**

Again, Taeyeon had arrived earlier and was already at the café waiting for the couple. The young analyst was mentally running through the things that she had wanted to say to Seungwan and found herself to be more nervous than she had expected.

Joohyun had entered first, holding Seungwan’s hand tightly in hers. A smile played over Taeyeon’s lips as she remembered that look of jealousy on her junior. Her body language today made it even more evident that Joohyun was the possessive girlfriend. Like senior, like junior. Once, she had wanted to hold Sooyeon’s hand in that manner as well and to declare their relationship to the world. Too bad those were just unrealistic thoughts.  

“Hey Cabbage and Cabbage’s girlfriend.”

Joohyun look appalled and her eyes darted about the café like a shifty mouse.

“Taeng!” Joohyun whispered audibly to show her contempt at her senior’s jest.

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry. Hi Joohyun and Seungwan.”

Seungwan gave a polite small nod and only met her eyes shortly.

“H-Hi Taeyeon.”

Her voice. It was beautiful like how Taeyeon had remembered it from the first time they met. Seungwan was truly like her sister in a lot of ways, Sooyeon had a beautiful voice too.

“Seungwan, are you nervous to meet me?” Taeyeon teased and saw the warning glare from Joohyun.

Taeyeon laughed a little and puckered her lips at her junior. Joohyun recoiled in dis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter