Chapter 33: Threats

Day or Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before the girls knew it, another two weeks had passed and the finals, along with their school semester had ended.

Unsurprisingly, Mr Son had demanded for Seungwan to return home immediately after her finals had ended for an important discussion. It was a belated meeting. Mr Son had time and again threatened to send someone after Seungwan if she refused to go back home.

During these past two weeks, Seungwan finally understood the apprehension that her elder sister must have went through. The girl could not help but sense that her father was watching her every move. More than a couple of times, she had spied strangers giving her excessive attention. Besides, ever since Joohyun had told her about her suspicions about Taeil, Seungwan guessed that her father had somehow gotten a sense that Joohyun might be her girlfriend.

Perhaps it was that conniving professor who was in charge of their club who had ratted on them. Seungwan knew she could be over-sensitive but she would rather be safe than sorry. The rapper almost hired someone to guard Joohyun whenever she could not do so. In the end, it was agreed upon that Joohyun would be with Joy and Seulgi for the times Seungwan could not be with her.  

Joohyun had also, as expected, worried incessantly throughout the day. Seungwan felt so sorry that her girlfriend should be under so much stress when she should be enjoying the start of her summer. In fact, it was also because of Seungwan that Joohyun had not taken up the offer at Millennium. Perhaps it was for the better as well. Seungwan’s heart would probably fail every time she thought about how close Joohyun was to her father.

During this period of time, Seungwan even had the urge to confide in Taeyeon about what to do. She was so close to phoning Taeyeon until her father had called her even earlier. Good. I shall face it. Seungwan thought.

“Seungwan, must you really go back tonight?” Joohyun asked, concern thick in her voice.  

“Yes, President. Just don’t worry too much about me okay? Regardless of whatever outcome with my family, I will make sure to protect you first.”

Joohyun shook her head. “I really don’t want you to fall out with your family because of me.”

“It is not just because of you. It is me as well. President, it is not simply about me having a girlfriend, it is me being a lesbian that my family will most likely not be able to accept.”  

Seungwan wished she could do more to assure her girlfriend but alas she could not. All she could do was to stay by Joohyun’s side as frequently as possible. Additionally, Seungwan had also decided that if it came to a choice between choosing her family or Joohyun, she would choose the latter any time, any day.

 

Right after the tense-filled dinner, Seungwan was called straight into her father’s study room. There were some protests from Mrs Son but her father’s fierce glare was enough to make her mother meek.

It has been a such a long time since Seungwan was in this room, she felt almost like a guest in her own house, perhaps she already was.

“Who is your girlfriend?” Mr Son had cut straight to the point.

Seungwan nearly scoffed openly at her father’s candidness.

“No one. Even if I had a girlfriend, I won’t be telling you,” Seungwan said defiantly.

Seungwan had triggered something within Mr Son and in the next few seconds, her father had sprang up from his chair and slammed his hand so hard on the table top that the stationary rattled.

“Don’t you dare act like your sister!”

Seungwan was shocked to see her father unleash his fury so suddenly.

“W-What did I do?”

“Did you learn from your sister? Was that it? Are you trying to spite me?!”

“I-I don’t even know what you are saying.”

“Don’t lie Seungwan. Your sister told you something before she left, didn’t she?”

Seungwan’s brows furrowed. Her father’s words seemed to have awaken her mind and it began whirring. Something, something sparked in her mind. Jessica’s girlfriend, her father’s wrath, her sister’s untimely death.

“Father… you knew that Sooyeon had a girlfriend, didn’t you?” Seungwan did not know why she had asked the question.  

Her father had recoiled slightly. “So, she really told you. Then tell me, are you really a lesbian or were you just trying to spite me? I know from Chanyeol that you guys have been dating so why did you suddenly become a lesbian?”

Seungwan was baffled. She had already told her father before that she was never interested in Chanyeol. Her father was bordering delusional because he was refusing to accept her ual orientation. Seungwan knew should be confused about what her father was saying but she pretended not to be so. She felt so close to getting an answer. “Father, what did you do to Jessica? And Chanyeol and I is a closed case. We never dated, we were just childhood friends, I told you that before.”

A nerve jumped in her father’s neck. His anger rose further. “And I told you to stop calling her Jessica!”

Inhaling in sharply, her father tried to simmer his temper before he addressed Seungwan again. “First, tell me, are you really a lesbian?”

Seungwan nodded numbly and saw the defeated look in her father’s eyes. Mr Son had turned away from his daughter then. Silence, that was more deafening than noise and as uncomfortable as a bed of pins enveloped them. Mr Son clenched and unclenched his fists, as if struggling to make a decision.

“I will not accept that, not in our family.”

Seungwan shut her eyes, she was fully prepared for this. “I know, I’ve expected it.”

Then with much more difficulty, Mr Son said the next few sentences, “I will give you time to consider whether you want to bury your ual preference and continue being my daughter or you would-”

Seungwan had interrupted her father even before he had finished his sentence. It was better that way. “I would embrace my gender preference and I would willingly renounce all ties with the Sons.” I am sorry mother.

Mr Son froze at Seungwan’s complete lack of consideration.

“Mr Son, now tell me what you did with Je-Sooyeon?”

Mr Son turned his body away again, this time round, he had locked his body in position that told Seungwan that she would not be seeing Mr Son’s face for a very long time.

“I did nothing. I merely reminded her where her place was.”

So much for getting close to answers. Seungwan knew there was no longer any point in trying and staying.

“Thank you for the evening, Mr Son. I will be going.”

When Seungwan had turned to leave, the tears that she had been holding back finally rolled down her cheeks.

**

Jennie’s back crashed into the wall and no matter how hard she tried to struggle free of Bobby’s hold, the male did not even budge. Jennie was certain that she would see a bruise on her back much later. The girl regretted not running at the first sight of the male.

“I told you it wasn’t me!” Jennie yelled.

“Then it must be that Chanyeol guy! You two were the only troublesome clients I had!”

Fear crept up Jennie’s spine. Jennie was truly scared. Bobby was not alo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter