Chapter 8: Monster

Day or Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before they knew it, the midterm break was starting. Joohyun saw Seungwan and Wendy for the next few consecutive weekdays and for consecutive weeks. Each time they had grown closer. With Seungwan, they became an undefeatable duo of analyst and together they watch Joy improve by leaps and bounds like proud parents. With Wendy, she was a fan girl of the rapper but nevertheless, a very lucky fan who had become close to her idol.

It was a good thing that she had the girl near her if not Joohyun might have died from the stress from school and from the expectations of others. The pressure kept mounting on her from all aspects of her life. From her classwork, to club activities, and to family burdens.

It was odd but Joohyun had the feeling that Seungwan seemed to always be able to cheer her up in some ways or other. Seungwan, Joohyun realised, had a lot of adorable antics and her reactions were sometimes so theatrical that it could elicit laughter from her.  

“Hey, President, I heard that you are going to have a roommate soon?” Joy asked suddenly during one of the meetings.

Joohyun nodded with her brows knitted together. “Well… actually I have a roommate for two weeks already but she has not moved in yet.”

“What? Then she has been paying two weeks’ worth of rent for nothing?” Joy asked, her eyes bulged with incredulity.  

Joohyun nodded.

“Wow, that is some rich brat, spending money recklessly,” Joy added.

Seungwan who had been sitting with them in silence suddenly choked on her food and coughed violently. Joohyun instinctively patted Seungwan’s back, their touches with each other had become more frequent and natural now. It felt as if they had known each other for a long while when in fact they only knew each other slightly more than a month ago.

“Seungwan, are you okay? By the way… isn’t it weird to move into a dormitory after school has started for a while? Weird…” Joy further added and had not notice that Seungwan had become quieter. The President however, had not let that observation slip by and began to grow suspicious.

Seungwan… are you my…

Joohyun shrugged and replied. “Well… I guess it’s okay… Seungwan, have you lived in a dormitory before?”

Shaking her head, Seungwan answered uneasily, “n-no…”

“My dear President, our Seungwan has her chauffeur to ferry her to and fro campus every day and probably lives in a mansion, why would she want to live in a dormitory?” Joy then paused and her eyes rolled up as if she was recounting something before she continued, “actually… I have rarely seen you get picked up before… Seungwan do you take the bus or something? Like us?”

The President threw a warning glance at Joy and cleared loudly. However, the insensitive nosey girl had not taken her warning to not invade into other people’s privacy and kept pressing on.

“Seungwan, your family has a chauffer for you right? And do you go to like those expensive tennis or golf clubs to socialise like in those dramas? What do you normally do outside of school?”

Each question made Seungwan’s head dip lower and Joohyun felt her heart softening at the sight of the girl behaving in this way. Seungwan looked like an adorable puppy that required protection from Joy’s onslaught of questions right at that moment. An impulse to hug the girl surged through the President and she had to steel her body to prevent herself from giving in to that impulse.

“W-We do have a chauffer… and I do play golf from time to time but it is not particularly of my interest…” Seungwan answered shyly.

Joy was about to ask more but Joohyun had jumped in to rescue Seungwan. “Come on Joy, stop poking in other people’s business. Why don’t you tell me where you have been on Saturday night? Why couldn’t you make it for our meeting?”

The younger girl’s mouth fell open and then she protested. “It was a Saturday! Why do we even have meetings?”

“Why not? Just because your Sungjae does not have club meetings on a Saturday doesn’t mean we would not have,” Joohyun said with a sly smirk on her face.

“President!” Joy exclaimed and that exposure effectively kept the girl quiet.

Later, after their meeting ended, the two girls then headed for the school’s parking lot which was usually empty because only Professors and extremely rich students would use that facility. This would be the first time Joohyun would be getting a ride from Wendy and she was feeling extremely excited about it. Wendy had stopped in her tracks suddenly, and Joohyun who had been lost in her excited thoughts, failed to stop in time and bumped into the girl in front. Wendy however, had caught the girl’s arms smoothly, to prevent her from falling back. The President’s face turned beetroot red at her own clumsiness. She questioned why was she always behaving so jumpy whenever she was with Wendy.

“You sure you want to ride?” Wendy asked with a cocked brow.

Joohyun nodded, her face determined.

“Very well then,” Wendy replied and continued walking ahead of her.

The motorbike was parked where Joohyun had remembered when she had followed Wendy to the last time. As before, it had the same silver cover over it and Joohyun knew the reason for it. It must have been an expensive bike and Joohyun could not take its eyes off it upon seeing the bike so up close. The blue was so striking but comfortable to look at. Joohyun loved it.

“It’s Pacific Blue Pearl, in case you were wondering what colour that is.” Wendy then took out two helmets from her storage box.

Both helmets looked cool, one was black with the same shade of blue streaked around it whilst the other had pink streaks. Joohyun had reckoned that the blue one was Wendy’s own. Joohyun was silently proud that she had guessed right when the biker wore the pink one on her. Wendy was gentle, so gentle that it made Joohyun’s heart flutter again. Wendy then regarded Joohyun over again then after much consideration, she ped her own electric blue leather jacket and took it off before draping it over Joohyun’s shoulders.

“Wear this, over your cardigan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter