Chapter 24: Stolen Hearts and Bated Breaths

Day or Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Usually not fond of watching pitch competitions, Taeyeon, the young analyst, found herself compelled to watch this particular competition because her favourite junior would be participating in it.

The auditorium was expansive with plush carpets and even plusher seats with double arm rests per seat. Taeyeon sighed at the scale of this competition. In contrast to her, her fellow analysts were much more enthusiastic for they have been tasked with identifying talents in this competition. Taeyeon need not do that, she would just recommend Joohyun regardless of the results.

As Taeyeon settled herself into the audience seat with her fellow analysts, she was not truly expecting much out of this competition. After all, as investment bankers themselves, they have already seen their fair share of strong pitches. Numerous representatives from various financial institutes were present as well. Unsurprisingly, Millennium was absent, they were too big and renowned to bother themselves with events like this.

Taeyeon nearly rolled her eyes at that idea, if not for the long-forgotten sadness that gripped her heart. There was a time, when she had been excited to sit herself amongst the audience to watch the students give their pitch.

Her eyes back then would be riveted to one individual, the very individual that stole her heart and never had the chance to return it. Her eyes were glazed over as her memory was transported back to that time. Her lips curved into a smile and her heart pounded with excitement as the much-anticipated team took the stage, drawing breaths with every charismatic sentence they had delivered. This team was not simply the best team the competition has ever seen, it was perhaps the best national team of South Korea. Not only were their stock picks justified, they could handle every single curveball thrown at them by the judges.

The reason for their god-like abilities was their leader, Son Sooyeon. Trained since the tender age of twelve and coupled with her natural abilities at pitching, Son Sooyeon commanded attention easily. It was a combination of her background, her beauty and her voice. Sooyeon was everything good. Yet, all that was in her imagination dissipated like a mist of smoke as Taeyeon was brought back to reality with a nudge from her neighbour to her side.

“Hey Taeyeon, are you okay? You look a little uncomfortable.” Tiffany asked.

“I am good,” Taeyeon said cheerily and dismissed her colleague’s claim. Shaking her head, she brought her attention back to the present and the happenings.

This year, three teams from her alma mater has surprisingly managed to place themselves into the top ten. Joohyun’s team was one of them. It made Taeyeon proud to think that her favourite junior was so capable. By the time her first junior team was done with their pitch, Taeyeon could understand why they were placed amongst the top ten.

“Seriously, Taeyeon, your juniors need to chill a little and give others a chance,” Tiffany japed.  

Taeyeon cocked a brow smugly and gave a half-shrug. “Can’t help it that they enjoy working hard and are so naturally good at pitches.”

Tiffany slapped her shoulders. “Cocky.”

The two were later distracted by a pair of late-comers who had stolen into the seats beside them as conspicuously as they tried to. Regardless, both Taeyeon and Tiffany recognised who those two individuals were; two of the star performers at Millennium Capital, Donghae and Eunhyuk.

“Taeyeon… aren’t they from Millennium?”

Taeyeon nodded her head gravely.

“I wonder why they are here? It has been a really long time since Millennium sent anyone down to scout for talents in pitch competitions. Besides… those two are currently the hotshots amongst the bankers right now. Donghae just earned a huge windfall from his shorting strategy didn’t he? And Eunhyuk’s infamous use of momentum strategy helped one of their prime funds gain a 50% return for two consecutive years,” Tiffany asked and in her midst of clarification, could not help but awe at the two bright portfolio managers.

Taeyeon clenched her jaws and shrugged. “Who knows? We shall see.”

Despite trying to act nonchalant, Taeyeon could not help but be affected by those two Millunnium bankers’ presence.

**

Seungwan was truly a wreck as she heaved dryly into the toilet bowl. Nothing came out. Joohyun was just outside her cubicle waiting for her while Joy was busy calming her own nerves in the waiting room as they awaited for their turn. The washroom was largely empty because everyone was at their seats, watching the pitches of the other groups.

Joohyun soon made her worry apparent as she pounded on the door and demanded for Seungwan to open up. Seungwan obeyed without any protests and her body was instantaneously engulfed in a hug. When Joohyun had pulled back, she made sure to clamp Seungwan’s face tightly enough to demand all her focus.

“Seungwan, we can do this. I know you are scared to death but just imagine this; this is your stage, you are the best version of yourself, this will be the best performance… with me.”

“With you…” Seungwan breathed.

“With me,” Joohyun confirmed and leaned her forehead against Seungwan’s, the girl’s hair. “Let’s do well, together. And… Seungwan… imagine your sister is watching you, watching over your performance. You would want to perform your very best for her.”

Seungwan had always thought it was a wonder how Joohyun could easily say things that made her heart quiver and illuminating it, driving out the darkness from within. A smile was brought to Seungwan’s face as she imagined her sister watching her proudly and Joohyun was right. Even if her sister could not be here physically, Seungwan knew that her sister would have wanted her to perform her very best.

“I-I will…” A single tear rolled down Seungwan’s cheek which was quickly wiped away by Joohyun.

“Come on, we need to pick Joy up, she is shivering in fear as well.”

The idea of Joy shaking in fear made Seungwan laugh and helped dissipated some of her fears.

“Seriously, the two of you…” Joohyun said as she shook her head in amusement.

When they had returned to their private waiting room, they were greeted by a maniacal Joy who had gripped onto both their arms so tightly, they almost bruised.

“Where were the two of you?! How could you guys leave me alone?! Were you guys having some lovey-dovey moments together?! Why does your relationship smell so fishy?!”

Joohyun pursed her lips and poked at Joy’s arm as she rebuked, “I was in the toilet trying to calm Seungwan down and now I am trying to calm you down. I only left you alone for a while so stop whining!”

Joy wailed again and wrapped her arm around Seungwan’s suddenly, earning a gasp from her fellow batch mate. “I am already so nervous and yet you still have the heart to scold me. Seungwan, our President is ruthless.”

Confused about how to deal with the situation, Seungwan casted a doe-eyed look to Joohyun while petting Joy’s arms.

“Okay, fine. I am so sorry our baby Joy. How do you want me to calm your nerves? Should I wave a rattle toy before you or does singing a lullaby work better?” Joohyun asked sarcastically while eyeing the arm that was wrapped around Seungwan’s.

Joy gasped, “President, now you are resorting to sarcasm instead?! How spiteful… to think that we are a team.”

It was then that Joohyun decided that she has suffered enough of Joy’s dramatic responses and gave a knock to the side of the younger girl’s head.

“Ouch… and physical violence.”

Seungwan had unwound herself from Joy’s hold and boldly gave a knock to the other side of Joy’s head. “S-Seungwan… you too? I thought you were on my side?”

Seungwan shook her head and tried to put on the most severe expression she could muster as a way of jest. “Get a grip of yourself, Joy,” Seungwan said coldly, almost all too Wendy-like that surprised even herself.

Joy must have been taken aback too because her playful demeanour had melted away to be replaced by a look of confusion. “Seungwan, you sounded serious for a second there. That was scary… like a completely different person.”

Seungwan blinked, flustered for a moment. Fortunately, Joohyun had come to her rescue in time. “I will show you what a completely different person means if you do not do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter