Chapter 15: A Dark Place

Day or Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before long, the one-week break came to an end. Seungwan had suffered from two nightmares consecutively and each time, Joohyun had allowed the girl to recover silently by sobbing in her arms. Both times, Joohyun felt her heart tear but could not bring herself to ask Seungwan what had happened. Joohyun could only guessed that it must have to do with her band members. Also, with the Club’s messy affairs at hand, Joohyun was beginning to feel strained over the past two days. Please… Seungwan… just tell me what is going on…

The dormitory was beginning to fill up with people again. Seungwan and Joohyun was having their breakfast of egg and ham sandwiches in their own room when Seungwan said, “I know you would not let me use my money to cover up for the Club fund so let’s win the pitch and donate our prize money instead.”

Joohyun’s eyes widened in surprise at Seungwan’s suggestion. That was exactly what the President had on her mind but she thought it was unfair to put the pressure on her team mates. Yet, that was the only legitimate way she could think of to cover up for their losses and to be truthful, Joohyun was also beginning to grow more apprehensive by the day as the situation dragged on.

“If we win, then we would definitely gain some recognition amongst the funds. We can then think of ways to get them to sponsor us somehow.”

A slanted smile formed on Seungwan’s face as she spoke, one which always made Joohyun swoon and the President felt her face heating up. Seungwan… why do you always have this ability to make me feel this way? Joohyun thought indignantly as she turned her attention back to the sandwich she had been munching on. School had started and that meant that their one week, honeymoon break was over. Honeymoon break… Joohyun’s eyes widened as the phrase was formed in her mind. What exactly was her relationship with Seungwan that made her thought that way? It was definitely more than friends. Friends do not hold each other when they cry. Friends do not sleep in each other’s arms like they do. Yet, there were still so many unspoken words between them. Joohyun bit her lips as she got lost amidst her thoughts.  

Upon receiving no satisfactory response from Joohyun, Seungwan waved a hand before the President to get her attention.

“Are you okay, President?”

“Y-Yes…” Joohyun managed to squeeze out a response and then wore a small smile on her face as she continued, “yes, if we win. And to win, you will have to perform your best, we all have to do our best.”

It was Seungwan who fell silent this time round as she stared at her sandwich contemplatively. Then, the girl nodded, “I will.”

At that moment, Seungwan had looked so adorably vulnerable that Joohyun wanted to do nothing more than to enclose her in a tight hug. As Seungwan resumed with eating her sandwich and biting her lower lip after she was done, Joohyun’s urge to hug the girl became more intense. Joohyun bit her own lips in reaction to her own urges.

 

The President’s terse look had not gone by unnoticed by Seungwan and she wondered the reason why the President looked so much in conflict. The thought that it might be because she was worried about Seungwan’s performance made the girl suddenly conscious. Not knowing what to do, Seungwan then got up, shouldered her backpack and muttered a ‘see you later’ softly before she left the room hurriedly.

Dark thoughts had permeated her mind once again, impeding her ability to process anything in her surroundings. Seungwan felt like a loser, a burden to Joohyun. Those senseless nightmares that plagued her and her own stupid uncontrollable sobs that came after. It was a mistake, a mistake to stay at the dormitory with Joohyun for one full week. Seungwan had grossly overestimated herself.

Too heavily preoccupied with her thoughts, Seungwan had completely missed the shrilly rings that came from a bicycle. The cyclist would have collided with Seungwan if she had not been pulled away in time. The distracted girl had crashed into a body which she was familiar enough with.

The gasp that tore from her lips as well as the shock on her face must have been mortifying.

“Seungwan, are you alright?!” Chanyeol asked in a panicked voice.

Seungwan worked and found it hard to say anything but she managed a series of urgent nods.

Another gasp escaped when she felt the male pull her closer. “Be more careful! You almost got yourself injured!” Chanyeol scolded and in that moment, Seungwan felt as if she was transported back in time when they were still young children; her sister had scolded her the same way when she had dashed across the road then wrapped her in a tight hug soon after.

“I-I am fine…” Seungwan finally managed to say and it was only then she felt the hold around her slacken.

Chanyeol must have been embarrassed by his own outburst of reaction and quickly put some space between themselves. Besides, students were either giggling or muttering to each other as they passed them, likely discussing their brazen intimate action in campus. It was natural for Chanyeol to attract such attention especially since the male was tall and rather handsome. Seungwan however had disliked such attention, since forever. She prayed that no one from her class had seen her and wished she could disappear into the ground.   

 

Little did Seungwan know that Joohyun had been watching from a distance, wishing it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter