Chapter 2: Seungwan, The Interviewee

Day or Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That night, Joohyun could not sleep as her mind was still grappling with that realisation and reconciling the image of Wendy, the rapper with Seungwan, the geeky student. Joohyun had told no one and was not surprised that Seulgi had not recognised the girl either. If she had not observed the girl’s appearance in such detail, Joohyun was certain she would not have recognised the girl at all. This was all still too mind-blowing for the Club President though and she wondered if all these was too dramatic for her mind to handle. Could she have perhaps recognised the wrong person? There were still the club interviews tomorrow and as Club President, Joohyun was expected to stay throughout the sessions. Deciding to get some sleep and shaking her mind off Wendy and Seungwan, two, no, one person whom she had no ties with, Joohyun went to bed.

**

After splitting the prize money with her crew, Wendy warned her girls to return home before daybreak and declined their invitation to drinks.

The night was still young, too young for her to return to her suffocating home but she was not in the mood to drink either. She had an important interview for a school club the next day so she could not afford to look too shabby. Wendy had ridden her Harley Davidson to the Han River alone, ignoring whatever gazes that were casted in her direction. The rapper was used to it. After all, a lone girl in an electric blue leather jacket, ripped black denims, and a Harley was bound to attract much attention. Then she heard the familiar engines of a fellow Harley bike. Fully expecting the arrival of the rider, Wendy ignored the approaching presence until she felt the familiar tap on her shoulder.

“Hey, Seungwan,” the biker greeted.

“Yo, Chanyeol,” Wendy greeted back.

“Thought I told you to wait for me outside the club?” Chanyeol asked patiently.  

“You did. I just never heeded your instructions. Anyway, call me Wendy, else, I would not answer you.”

Chanyeol sighed and he threw up his arms in defeat and drew out his expensive-looking cigarette box from his own black leather jacket.        

“Here, have one,” Chanyeol offered.

Wendy smirked and took them coolly, fishing out her own Dunhill lighter. The girl put the cigarette in before lighting it, then after a couple of brief draws, was satisfied. Recognising the cigarette as Dunhill, her favourite brand, Wendy began to take longer drags. The rapper absolutely relished in that soothing feeling that blanketed around her lungs, the temporary bliss that would soon follow. The high got to her pretty quick and Wendy fluttered her eyes close at that momentary sensation; that sweet dizzying surrealistic feeling that filled her head. It had been quite a while since she last smoked and fed the demon in her lungs. All Wendy could ask for now is for a bed to materialise out of nowhere for her to collapse her body on and forget about those sniggering students, her proud parents, and above everyone else, her sister.   

“You should go home soon and don’t smoke so quickly,” Chanyeol cautioned.

“Speak for yourself, I am not the one with anxious parents,” Wendy said abrasively.

“Seungwan…”

“Wendy,” Wendy corrected curtly.

“Okay, yes, Wendy. Mr and Mrs Son will definitely be angry if they found out what you have been doing,” Chanyeol warned.

“So what? I am still giving them good grades, aren’t I? The only concern they might have would be that I cannot further improve my already perfect GPA,” Wendy spoke amusedly.

“Anyway, I have paid for the rental of the garage, so you can do lesser shows,” Chanyeol said.  

Wendy looked at the man with contempt as she drew out a stash of bills from her jacket and slapped it onto Chanyeol’s chest.

Rolling her eyes in distaste, the rapper said, “I am not doing the shows for money, you do know that right?”

Chanyeol nodded embarrassedly, disappointed that he had riled Wendy up so easily. Times like this, he was confused whether he preferred the day Seungwan or night Wendy. Perhaps both appealed to him, in very different ways, except that, Wendy had been away for a while and just made a comeback so he reckoned that he did not mind receiving such harsh responses from the girl.

“Anyway, I didn’t see EXO perform today. Tell me you weren’t giving in to me. I would be really mad if you did so,” Wendy drawled as she took another puff.

Chanyeol shook his head. “We couldn’t commit time to practice together. Sehun and Jongin are in their first year of university and…”

Wendy held up a hand to interrupt the man. She was, after all, not so interested in those nitty gritty details and only wanted assurance that Chanyeol’s crew had not intentionally avoid participating in the battle-off as she did to let her have an easy win.

“Thanks for the cigarette, I will be heading home now and be the good Seungwan,” Wendy said and without even looking back once, rode off on her bike.

**

Joohyun was not able to control her yawn by the time the third interviewee came in. They were all the same, eager fresh years who cannot wait to impress and they all came with a set of memorised answers. They performed well when Joohyun asked those standardised questions.

“What are the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter