Chapter 19: Exposed

Day or Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungwan woke up groggily to the sounds of vibrations from her phone, amidst their discarded pile of clothes, on the floor. Fearing that she might miss another call from Jennie, Seungwan got up hastily but carefully. Yet, Joohyun still murmured a little and slowly woke up as well.

“S-Seungwan?”

“Hang on, let me take a call,” Seungwan told her President patiently.

 

Jisoo waited anxiously as she waited for Wendy to pick up the call. This was the third time she had called and she was about to give up but fortunately, Wendy answered this one near its last ring.

“W-Wendy… it’s me Jisoo,” the girl began hastily.

“Yes, Jisoo, sorry… I just… woke up. What is wrong? You sound very… nervous.”

“I have been a wreck the whole day and last night,” Jisoo admitted unabashedly.

That must have caught Wendy’s attention because she heard a sharp intake of breath from the other line. “Is it with regards to Jennie?”

Jisoo nodded to herself as she replied a yes.

No response came from the other line for a moment.

“Wendy?” Jisoo prompted the girl.

“Yes, I am still here, I am just thinking,” Wendy answered calmly.

However, Jisoo did not share Wendy’s calmness and lost her patience, “seriously, Wendy, I need to meet you, and now.”

Wendy sighed but agreed to meet with Jisoo going over to her school’s dormitory.

Jisoo was of course not surprised to see Joohyun. In fact, Jisoo had guessed that this was the reason Wendy had wanted to live in the school dormitory in the first place because knowing Wendy, the girl would never live in a dormitory living amongst students. Not at a place where… Jisoo would leave that thought to later, it was no time for them to be distracted by other things.

Joohyun had just changed some sheets and politely excused herself from the room when Jisoo entered. Jisoo felt bad for imposing on the couple and promised to make their discussion quick.  

“To be honest, I really cannot tell you anything more if Jennie haven’t told you anything,” Wendy started off straightforwardly.

“Wendy I know, it is usually not our style to talk behind each other’s back but I really need to know. I’ve been feeling so suffocated since a few days ago when you called me. So suffocated that I walked away from Jennie for the first time.”

Wendy’s eyes finally went wide. “Y-You walked away?”

Jisoo nodded and averted Wendy’s gaze. After some beckoning, Jisoo finally told Wendy all that had transpired between Jennie and herself, almost breaking down into sobs in between.

At the end of her narration, Jisoo felt Wendy’s warm hand on her arm. “It isn’t like you to do that… but still… I have already broken Jennie’s trust for me more than I already should so all I can do now is to talk to her and get you to calm down in the meantime.”

Jisoo in a deep breath. “I am sorry, Wendy, you are already facing a lot of things of your own, I am adding on to your troubles.”

Wendy raise a brow. “Trouble from you is new but yes, I do have quite a few things on my plate now.”

Wendy then gave a smile and nodded outwards toward the door and Jisoo immediately knew that Joohyun, had become Wendy’s priority.

A smile broke on Jisoo’s lip for the first time that day. “Really… Wendy, it is a good change for you.”

There was a momentary look of confusion on Wendy’s face before she too, nodded in agreement. “Guess so… I really want to become a better self for her. Anyway, Jisoo, I think Jennie and you are a good pair and I really hope you two can make it work. In a relationship, we are bound to keep things from each other because of various reasons but eventually as we learn to trust more, we will open up. Give Jennie some time, you know just how complicated her thoughts can be… It can be very tough being with Jennie but I believe you’ve already accepted it when you first decided to get together with her.”

Jisoo felt heartened by Wendy’s words. Wendy was sensitive and was really good at reading people, like Jennie, when Jennie was not being stubborn.

A series of small knocks came from the door and Joohyun poked her head in, “sorry, I left my notes inside, can I come in and get them?”

“Actually I am done, thank you for giving us privacy, Joohyun,” Jisoo said kindly to the elder girl and saw a polite tip of the girl’s head.

“Oh…” Joohyun then entered the room shyly and took her place beside Wendy. Despite Jisoo being there, the two roommates shared some looks of affection and controlled actions which made Jisoo’s lips curve into a smile unknowingly.

Jisoo was really glad that Wendy had met Joohyun because despite knowing the girl briefly, Jisoo could tell that Joohyun was the perfect person for their leader in. Jisoo saw it in every action they shared with each other; from the way Joohyun had intertwined with Wendy’s hand so naturally, from how Wendy swept Joohyun’s falling fringe away from her face and from the adoring glances they gave each other.

Jisoo was happy but a part of her felt a little sad for herself as well. Would Jennie and herself be able to achieve that as well? She had hoped for it but now her doubts were so heavy that it was almost suffocating.

**

Seungwan had sent a text message to Jennie for them to arrange a date to clear things up and in the meantime, saw a text notification from Chanyeol. Sighing, she decided to ignore the message for later.

“Relationship woes from Jennie and Jisoo?” Joohyun asked Seungwan after the girl had set down her phone.

Seungwan faced Joohyun and nodded. After pondering, Seungwan was about to open to say more before a set of urgent knocks came from the door.

It was pretty late into the night and Joohyun’s brows creased immediately. Upon realising who it might have been, Joohyun’s own eyes widened. Alas, their undisturbed stay with each other had been disrupted. Seulgi or Joy or Yeri…

She mouthed to Seungwan her guess and both girls started panicking in their own room. Joohyun ran a hand through her hair in frustration. The set of knocking became louder and more impatient. Joohyun knew she could not stall the situation anymore and she was met with the forlorn stare from Seungwan. Whichever friend was outside their room now will really tear their door from its hinges if she did not answer it.

Joohyun was right. The moment she opened the door an inch, Seulgi who had been on the other side, pushed her way in immediately.

“Oh my god, Joohyun, I just listened to the most amazing rap ever. It was so crazy,” their guest had prattled on and had not realised Seungwan’s presence until very much later and she screamed out of shock.

“Oh my god?!”

Joohyun had to shush Seulgi by clamping a hand over the girl’s mouth.

“Calm down! Seulgi…”

Seulgi struggled free from Joohyun’s hold and immediately turned to Joohyun to question her. “W-W-Why is Seungwan here?!”

Joohyun winced a little and began chewing on her lips like how Seungwan always did.

“I am her roommate,” Seungwan answered briefly

“R-Roommate?” Seulgi shrieked again.

It was then some sort of realisation struck Seulgi. “Oh! I think Joy mentioned Joohyun got a new roommate but she did not say it was you.”

“I-I actually just moved in.”

From the looks of Seulgi’s mouth opening and closing a few times but producing no sound, Joohyun knew that her friend was flabbergasted. 

“Seulgi, are you okay…? Why are you so surprised?” Joohyun asked, tiredness and dread evident in her voice.

“B-Because… I don’t know…” Seulgi said in distress then in a much lower voice, she added, “Joohyun, are you two together?”

It cannot be… How could Seulgi have guessed that? Joohyun’s jaws fell open slightly in shock. Joohyun looked to Seungwan who peered back with the same plea in her eyes.

“We… I-I,” Joohyun stuttered.

Then, the unexpected happened as Seungwan lifted herself from the bed and advanced towards Joohyun taking her hand in hers. “We are together.”

Joohyun’s mind went into lockdown mode instantly.

Seulgi covered her own mouth this time round before she exclaimed. “Together?!”

A string of incomprehensible words later left Seulgi’s mouth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter