CHAPTER 18

SERVING UP TROUBLE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

            PRESENT DAY

           

 

 

            "After Chief Beom-seo was buried, Jaejoong left Gongju. No one knew where he went or what had become of him," Mr. Cha said, finishing his story. He took a sip from the cup of tea as Sodam stared at him in disbelief.

 

 

 

 

            "The story couldn't just end like that!" she protested. Both she and Mr. Cha were sitting in Jinwoo's living room. The doctor was still in the hospital, so she and Mr. Cha were free to talk about Jaejoong.

 

 

 

 

 

            When she called him, she thought they would just be talking through the phone. But Mr. Cha surprised her when he insisted that they needed to talk face to face. When he came over, he brought with him some biscuits and cupcakes. According to him, those would go well with tea. Before she could boil hot water, Mr. Cha told her to sit on the sofa before proceeding to the kitchen and boiling hot water.

 

 

 

 

 

            Only when the tea, biscuits and cupcakes were already laid out on the small table in the living room did Mr. Cha began telling the story of Kim Jaejoong. And then abruptly finished it!

 

 

 

 

            Mr. Cha carefully put the cup of tea on the small table near them.

 

 

 

 

            "The story I got from Jaejoong regarding his past ended there. The rest of the story, I had to find out for myself. It took me several long and meticulous investigations before I finally completed his story. I had to read several old newspapers and since the internet wasn't yet as popular then as it is now. I also had to do some personal investigations before discovering what happened to him after he left Gong-ju."

 

 

 

 

 

            "So, what happened?" urged Sodam.

 

 

 

 

            "He worked for several months in Gen. Moon's private military contractor agency after her left Gongju."

 

 

 

 

            "What is a private military contractor?"

 

 

 

 

            "Private soldiers for hire. Mercenaries. I bet Jaejoong's skills were honed during his time with that agency since military contractors are often sent to areas and countries full of conflict. When we went back to Gongju three weeks ago to visit his stepmother, I finally discovered what had befallen Byunghun."

 

 

 

 

 

            "What have you discovered?" She asked, though she already had a suspicion what had happened.

 

 

 

 

 

 

            "Would it shock you if I tell you that Moon and every one involved in Chief Beom-soo's death disappeared? They were listed as missing persons in the police files. I also discovered that five years ago, there was a powerful storm that swept through the town. The river overflowed and spitted out a human skeleton. The skeleton lay half buried in concrete inside an oil drum. Dental records showed it was Byunghun."

 

 

 

 

 

            "Did Jaejoong kill him?"

 

 

 

 

 

            "That is my suspicion. I also suspect that the other men involved in the killing of Chief Beom-soo also met the same fate as Byunghun. But no one was able to find any trace of the other men."

 

 

 

 

 

            "What happened to Lee Sooman?"

 

 

 

 

 

            "Still alive. But Jaejoong is planning something for him. I cannot tell you the detail. But it's a rather elaborate plan that would destroy and make the rich land owner suffer all his life."

 

 

 

 

 

            Mr. Cha stood.

 

 

 

 

 

            "I have told you everything that I can tell you, So-dam. Jaejoong still has a lot of secrets. But those are secrets I will protect with my life. Like him, I have also decided to walk the same path he had chosen." Mr. Cha extended his hand for a handshake. "It has been nice knowing you, So-dam. Hopefully, whatever small help and support we had given you would help you get the life you want. I hope you succeed in whatever future you pursue."

 

 

 

 

 

            She shook the his hand.

 

 

 

 

 

            "This is goodbye." He smiled.

 

 

 

 

            She nodded.

 

 

 

 

            "You don't have to worry about me telling the police. I understand why you two are doing what you are doing. Everyone deserves justice. And I owe you guys my life. Jaejoong has freed me from confinement and both of you has given me a chance to choose my own future and live the life I want."

 

 

 

 

            Mr. Cha slightly bowed before So-dam.

 

 

 

 

 

            "Merci, mademoiselle." He thanked her.

 

 

 

 

            Three hours after Mr. Cha left, Jinwoo returned from his duties in the hospital. He found So-dam still sitting and deep in thought in the sofa.

 

 

 

 

 

            "Have you gotten all the information you need to make your decision?" he asked as he sat beside her.

 

 

 

 

            "Sort of," she murmured.

 

 

 

 

 

            "That's not a good answer, So-dam. The moment you make a decision, you must commit to it all the way. There should be no turning back and you must be ready to get what you want by doing whatever way is possible."

 

 

 

 

            "It is hard to determine a person's future, right? It is always changing. And the things you thought could make you happy once you get it, usually turns out to be a disappointment and wasn't really what you want."

 

 

 

 

            "The future is always changing. Which means that it is always up to you what will happen to your future. Make a decision. Follow it through. Do everything you can to succeed, but in case you fail, be ready by having several back up plans. We cannot always make a good decision, but there would always be a chance for us to correct it or to find another future for us. A back up plan is your guarantee that you could always save yourself from a bad decision. When you plan for your future, plan for the other possible dozens of future awaiting you. That way, you will always protect yourself and live the life you want."

 

 

 

 

 

            "You are good at giving advice, Jinwoo," she commented.

 

 

 

 

            "Yeah, hopefully, in the future, I would also be able to follow my own advice." He chuckled. "Now then, how about we have dinner? My treat!"

 

 

 

 

 

            "Sure!" So-dam smiled. She also found herself feeling a little bit sad. She had only known Jinwoo for a few days, but whatever she would decide, she would have to say goodbye to the good doctor. She wasn't sure if after taking on a new name and a new life, she and Jinwoo's path would cross again. But she would never forget the doctor.

 

 

 

 

            Kim Jaejoong would also become part of So-dam's past. And she knew that the man would remain in her mind even after she had grown old. She would never see, talk or even argue with the complicated man again... After Sunday, he would totally disappear from her life.

 

 

 

 

 

            A deep sadness suddenly clutched So-dam's heart.

           

 
           

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           

 

 

            Three hours before their flight to France, Jaejoong was packed and ready. But Mr. Cha was still busy packing. Jaejoong patiently watched him walk all over the suite before going back to his bedroom. Mr. Cha was behaving so uncharacteristically. The butler had always been efficient, was always the first one to be ready, and packed whenever they had a flight to catch.

 

 

 

 

 

            "Mr. Cha, we need to be in the airport two hours before our flight or else we won't be allowed to enter," he reminded the butler of the airport rules. "We have already returned the rental car so we still need to find a taxi. And though it is already evening, this is Korea and  rush hour traffic jams are still everywhere."

 

 

 

 

 

 

            "Give me a few more minutes. I just want to be sure that I haven't forgotten anything." Mr. Cha once again went inside the bedroom.

 

 

 

 

 

 

            This weird behavior of the butler perplexed Jaejoong. This was the first time Mr. Cha had ever been so fussy with his things. Mr. Cha never forgot anything, and he usually was the one continually nagging Jaejoong whenever they prepared for a trip. Jaejoong was the one who often forget to bring some of his things, never Mr. Cha.

 

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter