CHAPTER 10

SERVING UP TROUBLE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

So-dam found herself debating with Jaejoong during their dinner. His beliefs about love, relationships, and marriage were so wrong and messed up! She was shocked to learn that he never believed in true love and the sanctity of marriage!

 

 

 

 

 

"Are you saying that the marriage of your parents had nothing to do with love?" she challenged him.

 

 

 

 

            He was unperturbed.

 

 

 

 

            "My parents never married. My mother died a few months after I was born. The only proof I had that they were in love was my father's words. Since I respected my father, I didn't question his version. And in some way, I did believe that they were in love when they were making me. But after that moment of passion, I have no proof that they stayed in love since they never married. I could have continued asking my father, but I didn't want to force him to lie."

 

 

 

 

            "Your grandparents! I am sure‑"

 

 

 

 

            "My grandmother loved a US soldier and got pregnant. And when World War 2 was over, this soldier left and never looked back. My grandfather then married my grandmother. He gave her his name despite of the whole town knowing he wasn't the father of her child. He married her to protect her and give her and her baby a home. He was a good father and grandfather. But whether he loved my grandmother or not, I don't know. Maybe he just married her because he pitied her or maybe he was a good man who saw a woman who needed to be protected. Everyone shunned my grandmother, and she had nowhere to go. It was a time when unmarried mothers were not yet widely accepted and harshly condemned. And since the man who got her pregnant was a foreigner, that also added to her shame.

 

 

 

 

            "As for my grandparents falling in love with each other, I never saw that. I mean, if a couple really loves each other, they should have more children, right? But my father, the son of a US soldier was the only son they had. Whenever I would visit my grandparent's house, I would notice that they sleep on different rooms. They treat each other like friends, like best friends. But as lovers? Never. I never even saw them hold hands.

 

 

 

 

            "I have travelled all over the world for years. And I have yet to see a married couple that could prove to me that love is true and forever. Romance and love were just invented by advertising companies to sell their products. Even the romance novels you like to read are just fantasies created by writers. I suspect that your favorite writer just has a wild imagination, but she herself never really experienced true love.

 

 

 

 

            "If you can show me a married couple that truly loves each other and that their love would last until the day they die, I will believe in true love. Based on what I had seen, there are a lot of married couples whose lives looked so perfect and seemed so in love but then would suddenly break up because they realized that whatever feelings they had for each other were already gone. Love does exist, but it does not survive for long."

 

 

 

 

            She clenched her jaws.

 

 

 

 

            "That's because the people they marry are not their true love!"

 

 

 

 

            He chuckled.

 

 

 

 

 

            "You really are so naive, So-dam. Okay then, let's have a wager. If you can find me, show me just one couple who really are meant for each other, and that their love is real and true and they are capable of sacrificing themselves for each other, then I will no longer hold you to your debt. You won't owe me any favor in the future."

 

 

 

 

            "And if I could not show you this couple‑"

 

 

 

 

            "You see? Even you yourself are not sure that such a couple exists. There really is no couple that could meet the criteria of your so called true love."

 

 

 

 

            She continued talking.

 

 

 

 

            "If I will accept your wager," she said, putting emphasis on her every word, "I also want to know the consequences if I lose. But I am assuring you right now that there is a couple out there who would prove you wrong!"

 

 

 

 

            Jaejoong put his arms on the table, locked his fingers together and gave her a hard stare.

 

 

 

 

            "If you fail to prove your belief, I would not just ask payment for your debts, you will also serve as my personal maid for two weeks."

 

 

 

 

            "And how long would this wager last?"

 

 

 

 

            "Six months. And it will start now."

 

 

 

 

 

            "Deal!"

 

 

 

 

 

            "Do you want me to put this in black and white? Some people suffer from amnesia when they lose a wager."

 

 

 

 

            "I will never forget this."

 

 

 

 

 

            "Then I will ask Mr. Cha to write a contract for our wager."

 

 

 

 

            "By the way, since you are going to turn me into a maid if I lose, I want a paragraph to be added to that contract. This paragraph will say that if I could prove to you the existence of true love, not only will all of my debts be erased, I will also require you to be my maid for two weeks!"

 

 

 

 

            A smile broke from his face. His eyes shone with amusement. She couldn't believe he was enjoying this!

 

 

 

 

            "You must understand though that I have to make sure that the couple you would choose really love each other by testing their loyalty and faithfulness."

 

 

 

 

            "You are going to seduce the husband?" she taunted.

 

 

 

 

            "The wife. I'm heteroual. And I was born and will die preferring women."

 

 

 

 

 

            "Do what you want to do. But the couple I will choose will remain in love and true to each other!" She wasn't going to back down. And she believed in the existence of true love. She was sure she could find several couples who really loved each other. She would win this wager easily.

 

 

 

 

            But if she did win, and Jaejoong became her personal maid, what would she do with him?

           

 
           

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           

 

 

            So-dam thought that she and Jaejoong would finish their dinner fighting or angry at each other. But the man remained amused. And So-dam herself felt excited and ready to prove her point. If she could win this wager, she not only had no more debt, she could also turn Jaejoong into her own personal maid. She smiled at the thought. She was going to teach Jaejoong a thing or two about what true love really was. She wasn't worried. She could never lose to him.

 

 

 

 

 

            She had to stop her giggle when she imagined Jaejoong wearing a maid's uniform complete with apron.

 

 

 

 

            They left the restaurant and walked side by side. They came to the restaurant using a taxi, and she  thought they would also ride one back to the hotel. Mr. Cha had the rental car and was busy getting her papers made.

 

 

 

 

            Jaejoong continued walking and ignored the taxis that passed them by.

 

 

 

 

            "Where are we going?" she asked when they were already a few blocks away from the restaurant.

 

 

 

 

            "Your education on real life starts today."

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter