CHAPTER 25

SERVING UP TROUBLE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           

 

 

            Though Sandara and Hyori were expecting Prince Ahmed to cheat, they didn't expect it to be so blatant and that they would find out about it one hour before the race. Their protests fell on deaf ears.

 

 

 

 

            "This is unfair!" Sandara exclaimed with indignation.

 

 

 

 

            "It's the law in this land to never allow our rulers to put themselves in danger," Mr. Sharifa told them. "But in order for Prince Ahmed to join these competitions our laws allow him to choose a champion that will fight for him."

 

 

 

 

 

            "Va t'faire mètt, connard!" Hyori hissed.

 

 

 

 

            Sandara didn't understand Hyori's words but she was quite sure those were very profane words! Mr. Sharifa frowned at Hyori before turning back to Sandara.

 

 

 

 

            "It's best that you start choosing the horse you will ride today, Mr. Kim, than waste time arguing. And by the way, if things were not stated in the rules you helped formed, that meant it is allowed."

 

 

 

 

            They were tricked! If she had known about all of these beforehand, she would have tried to put among the rules that no one should be able to use a champion or a replacement! Since she agreed to go through this race thinking that she would be racing the prince himself, she now found herself at a grave disadvantage.

 

 

 

 

            The prince had probably chosen a very good horse racer. It was even possible his champion was a professional jockey!

 

 

 

 

            "C'est dangereux!" Hyori whispered. Sandara realized that when the woman was angry, she would revert to her native language and would forget to speak in English. But Sandara could understand that she was telling her she was in danger. Miss Millie's lessons seemed to have been effective.

 

 

 

 

            "Don't worry. I will still win this competition! No one can stop me," she promised.

 

 

 

 

            When they arrived at the palace stables to pick a horse for Sandara, they saw the prince's champion already holding the rein of the horse he had chosen for the competition. The champion was a thin, small man who seemed to be only five foot tall.

 

 

 

 

            He also looked every inch like a horse jockey! All champion horse jockeys were small. Their small weight enabled their horses to run faster.

 

 

 

 

            Sandara found herself wishing that she got to meet and race with Belmont first before she went here in Dubai. She would have gained more experience and gotten tips from the professional jockey.

 

 

 

 

            Prince Ahmed's champion walked toward them. He walked with confidence, but the smile plastered on his face looked too fake for Sandara.

 

 

 

 

            "Good morning. I think it's appropriate that we introduce ourselves to each other before this race. I am Rajiv Wolf."

 

 

 

 

            "Kim Jaejoong," Sandara answered. "How long have you been riding, Mr. Wolf?"

 

 

 

 

            "Ten years."

 

 

 

 

            "Have you ever won in a race horse?"

 

 

 

 

            "All the time." The man's eyes began to study Sandara. "With your height, I am guessing you only ride for fun, never for competition."

 

 

 

 

            "If you are a professional jockey, why waste your time in this silly competition?"

 

 

 

 

            The man let out a loud laugh.

 

 

 

 

            "Because the money I get for this is twice as much from the payment I receive whenever I win from those legal horse racing competitions."

 

 

 

 

            It became obvious to Sandara that money was the only reason Mr. Wolf agreed to become the prince's champion.

 

 

 

 

            "What if I pay you double the money you will get?"

 

 

 

 

            "You want me to purposely lose?" Mr. Wolf shook his head. "The prince will not like that. And I value my life more than money, Mr. Kim. Besides, the prince had always been a good benefactor to me. I have no intention of disappointing him so I am going to do everything I can to win this race." He smirked.

 

 

 

 

            Sandara's jaws clenched. The jockey was too loyal to be bribed or maybe too afraid of the prince. It was also clear that he was ready to do everything to give the prince a win.

 

 

 

 

            "If you will excuse me, I will prepare the horse I have chosen for this competition," he gave them a slight nod before going back to his house.

 

 

 

 

            "That man is dangerous," Hyori whispered. "I know all kinds of men. I can always sense their true self. And Prince Ahmed's champion have cruel eyes. Those eyes are not afraid to kill!"

 

 

 

 

            If Jaejoong was here, Sandara knew that Mr. Wolf wouldn't be a problem. But Sandara knew she could never be Jaejoong. And to win and survive this competition, she needed to use her own wits and skills.

 

 

 

 

            If it wasn't written in the rules, that means it's allowed.

 

 

 

 

            Those were the last words Mr. Sharifa told them. Sandara belatedly realized that hurting or killing your opponent in this race wasn't written among the rules! She was really so inexperienced and ill prepared for this mission. But there's no time to back out. She might not have the experience or the shrewdness of her opponents, but she was a woman who absolutely refused to give up!

 

 

 

 

            Sandara turned her attention on the remaining horses inside the stable. Normal people would choose the strongest and fastest horse. But Sandara believed that it was much better to choose the horse she could control, one who would obey and follow her.

 

 

 

 

            A strong or fast horse but with an attitude would be useless to Sandara. And to be able to find the perfect horse for her, she needed to ride each and everyone of these horses. She wasn't a horse trainer or breeder who could easily detect the kind of horse just by looking at them.

 

 

 

 

            Sandara needed a horse that would obey her but was also sturdy and fast.

 

 

 

 

 

            Her way was time consuming. But she would use the remaining one hour before the race to check the horses using her own way. And if she would only announce her choice at the last minute. Prince Ahmed's men wouldn't be able to drug or injure her chosen horse.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter