CHAPTER 13

SERVING UP TROUBLE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

            Mallavio Hotel had a restaurant on its rooftop. But the restaurant was only open during evenings. From the restaurant, diners could view the city lights coming from buildings, cars and homes at night. The stars across the night sky complemented these city lights. A cool night breeze often blew through the restaurant's open windows.

 

 

 

 

 

            The restaurant's romantic and beautiful view disappeared by morning. The light of the day would show several squatters' shanties scattered all over the city. Add to this was the smog caused by the pollution coming from all kinds of vehicles. Such a view would not be appetizing to diners of the restaurant, hence management chose to close the restaurant during the day.

 

 

 

 

 

            This dismal view was the one Mr. Cha saw when he entered the rooftop restaurant that morning. He found Jaejoong quietly sitting on one of the tables near the window. Like always, Jaejoong had chosen a table that would give him a view outside as well as a direct view of the restaurant's door. It was his way to ensure that he would be able to spot any danger coming toward him and at the same time see everyone in the restaurant.

 

 

 

 

            The restaurant was still closed. Not one of the staff was around. It was still off limits to the public. But Jaejoong always had a way to get inside closed establishments, so Mr. Cha didn't inquire anymore how he was able to get in.

 

 

 

 

 

            The man quietly sipped his coffee. It was clear to Mr.Cha that something was troubling Jaejoong. He looked deep in thought.

 

 

 

 

 

            A loud ringing awakened Mr. Cha that morning. It was the phone on the nightstand near his bed. When he put the receiver on his ear, he clearly heard Jaejoong's voice. Early morning calls like this from him was part of Mr. Ch’s normal life. In fact, he was used to getting calls at all times of the day. Such calls from Jaejoong often happened when he needed Mr. Cha to do something important.

 

 

 

 

 

            "Meet me in the hotel's rooftop restaurant," was the only thing Jaejoong said to Mr. Cha.

 

 

 

 

 

            Since it was already time for breakfast, Mr. Cha called room service and ordered breakfast for three. He left So-dam's breakfast on the dining table. The young woman was still sleeping in her room. He had heard Jaejoong and So-dam came in the early hours of the morning. Mr. Cha didn't bother getting up and went back to his sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

            With the breakfast tray in hand, Mr. Cha went to meet Jaejoong in the rooftop restaurant.

 

 

 

 

 

            "Change of plans?" Mr. Cha asked when Jaejoong remained quiet.

 

 

 

 

 

            "Find me a new client," he said.

 

 

 

 

 

            "Client?"

 

 

 

 

 

            "I am sure there are a lot of people in the city who want revenge and justice for their loved ones. Find me one of them that had been denied justice. Start looking into police records. I am sure there are a lot of cases where the culprit was never arrested due to lack of evidence or incompetent police investigation."

 

 

 

 

 

            "What about So-dam?"

 

 

 

 

 

            "You take care of her for now. She seemed to trust and like you."

 

 

 

 

 

            "She is also starting to trust you, Jaejoong."

 

 

 

 

 

            He remained quiet.

 

 

 

 

 

            "It seems your date with her didn't go as planned. You weren't able to reach first base?" he teased.

 

 

 

 

 

            Jaejoong's face remained unreadable. He was good at hiding his emotions and thoughts and at times like this, Mr. Cha  couldn't guess what he was thinking. His curiosity was aroused by Jaejoong's behavior Mr. Cha knew that Jaejoong was interested in So-dam and like the other women who caught his eye, he had every intention of bedding her sooner or later. Jaejoong never lost interest on a woman unless she had fully satisfied him or she had begun falling for him.

 

 

 

 

            "What happened last night?" Mr. Cha asked.

 

 

 

 

            "We got to know a male doctor who liked dressing up as a woman," he chuckled.

 

 

 

 

            "Seriously?"

 

 

 

 

            Jaejoong nodded.

 

 

 

 

            "And then what happened next?"

 

 

 

 

 

            "You are too nosey."

 

 

 

 

 

            "Part of my personality."

 

 

 

 

 

            Jaejoong stood up.

 

 

 

 

 

            "Find me a client, Mr. Cha. I need to kill someone evil before we leave for France."

 

 

 

 

 

            "Something happened," he commented. "You are acting very strange, Jaejoong." Mr. Cha began to ponder. His eyes suddenly widened as a thought entered his mind. "Could it be that for the first time, a woman has rejected you? Your deadly charm wasn't able to tame So-dam?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

            Jaejoong laughed.

 

 

 

 

 

            "That hasn't happened yet, Mr. Cha. So-dam is just like all the other women. Easy to seduce. The only difference this time was I lost interest in her." He sighed. "She disappointed me. I thought she was going to give me a harder challenge."

 

 

 

 

 

            "You are lying."

 

 

 

 

 

            Jaejoong cocked an eyebrow.

 

 

 

 

 

            "Have you become some kind of polygraph machine, Mr. Cha?"

 

 

 

 

 

            "I have known you for four years. And through the years, I have learned to distinguish which of your words were lies or truths. And my gut is telling me now that you are lying."

 

 

 

 

 

            Jaejoong shrugged his shoulders.

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter